When is ATWT/GL current contract up?

• Members

I know GL usually gets a year by year renewal and I was thinking that the two P&G shows are usually renewed together. When do the two shows next come up for renewal, and do you think they will be renewed with both falling in the ratings? Just wondering.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont know when they are getting renewed, but I think GL's Emmy win this year, as well as their wins last year, means they're safe for now. The show seems to be in (arguably) better shape now as well.

ATWT, on the other hand...

• Members

Yup, either March or April. I wonder if the rumors are true. That CBS wants to shorten ATWT and GL to half hours shows. I wouldnt mind that one bit. If it keeps ATWT from cancellation. I am all for it. And isnt a 30 min soap cost less than a full hour soap? They could save money right there.

• Members

I don't think the Emmys will factor into their decision to renew or not. It all comes down to money and Emmy's don't bring in money. Ratings determine what advertisers pay and when they want to advertise their products.

• Members

ATWT tells fewers stories during an episode than they used to, probably because they can't afford to pay more actors for those shows. Whatever the reason, the show would probably be better at 30 minutes in the current incarnation. Some days I fill like conversations go on and on an on. 30 minutes would allow the characters to make their points without being repetitive within the same episode.

I would think both shows would have to cut a lot of cast though to make it as a 30 minute show. Half the commercials to pay for cast and crew.

• Members

yea i think they were renewed a few months ago so that would make since. where did you hear that 30 min. rumour. it actually could be more expensive to have two 30 min. soaps rather than hour long ones. i remember some other people on the board articulating the economics of it.

• Members
I wouldn't mind 30 min either. I think it works great with B&B. And as you said, if it keeps ATWT on air, I'm all for it.Agree. B&B has almays been moving pretty fast because they simply have too. And it's so great to watch a soap that's actually going forward.

I don't think ATWT is that bad though. It could be worse like DAYS during the JER area. It was ridiculous how slow that show was back then. lol

Archived