AMC: Friday

• Members

I know what you mean, and, don't get me wrong, I agree with your sentiment. But I don't really think it should be necessary to acknowledge something like that. I think that we, as the audience, should already have our feelings and opinions about Ryan's pairing with Gillian. Mentions in passing? Sure. "Gillian was the first love of my life" or "I loved Gillian with all of my heart and still do" would work. But I mean...for him to aknowledge that he doesn't love Annie as much as he loved/loves Gillian would be such a slap in Annie's face, whether you like the character or not. It'd be like him saying "I love you Annie, but nowhere near as much as I love my dead wife Gillian. Can we have some drinks in here, Mrs. Danvers?"

JMO.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, that him saying that he loved Gillian more is a slap in the face to Annie, absolutely. But Ryan hasn't mentioned Gillian in years. It's like she never exsisted. This man was crushed when she died. IMO, a part of him died with her, and no woman will give that part back to him. I'm not asking that AMC having him going all wax poetical about her, or even compare his love for her to Annie's, but it's not to much to ask that he remembers her. He remembered her before he left. I remember him taking Gardenia to the moseleum and talking to her about how she'd always be in his heart, and he'd never forget her, even if he wasn't there to come by anymore. When he first came back in 2003, he had a picture of her in his walled, that he talked to in a scene, wished she was there, missed her, etc. Those are the kind of things that I think are absoluetely apporiate. I think I'd feel very differently about Ryan if he went to the moseluem every now and then. Made us remember his heart. If he told Annie about Gillian, about how and why he's become the man he is. It's not something that has to put Ryan and Gillian agianst Ryan and Annie, it's just something to show me that Gillian's Ryan is still in there some where, and that he still remembers her, and the man he was with her.

• Members

When Ryan and Kendall were together (2002) he didn't act like nobody came before Kendall. He discussed Gillian, they discussed Gillian. It didn't take away from their romance at the time, it added to it. Not ignoring history adds to the current scheme of things.

Since this show conceived the really bad idea of Ryan and Greenlee IN LOVE, for at least 99.9% of the time, the PTB's have been dismissing that Ryan or Greenlee loved anybody before Greenlee and Ryan. Lets move on to Annie and Ryan's wedding, they basically dismiss that he loved anybody before Annie in the vows. Why write like that? It's just crap and doesn't really help advance any of the characters or romances.

• Members

Cameron Mathison has even said that after Becky left, they didn't mention Greenlee for several months, and he asked TIIC why Greenlee wasn't being brought up in the story, and he said they told him that they don't want the viewers to remember. And he was like, it just happened a couple months ago, I'm sure they remember regardless.

Or one of my favorite insights was Genie Francis saying, several years ago, how she was told by a producer or executive after bringing up a hole in a storyline she was playing that the viewers were "too busy ironing" to notice.

• Members

That's sick, but not surprising. They obvious think we have the IQ's of shoe. Asses. That makes me really sad, though. :(

ETA: I should post the reply I got from Frons abou Josh. It was clear that he believed that no one was going to figure him out, and his reply was not only arrogant, ignorant, but was condicending too. And all he did was ask who told me that? As in, who told me who Josh was. To which I replied (which was only half the truth) "LMFAO, no one told me, I watch AMC and my brain functions enough to pick up your none to subtle clues." Needles to say, I got no other reply.

• Members

Oh, I totally agree with you. What you said reminded me of the Christmas episode from 2003. At that time, Greenlee was embroiled in stuff with both Juan Pablo and Ryan, but she spent the entire episode at the boathouse, "talking" to Leo. They even threw in a nice Christmas flashback from 2000 of them. It was a really great thing to see. If that's the kind of stuff Ryan would do in regards to Gillian, I'd absolutely love it.

And, damn, it still kills me when I see Megan McTavish's name show up on the screen when watching that episode, too. It makes me wonder...what the [!@#$%^&*] happened?

Archived