DAYS: Ending Effects

• Members

It appears that I might be the only one who enjoys the effects that DAYS has at the end of their episodes. The freeze frame is a great quirk for DAYS to have. Also, I love the "Next Time" preview with the special lighting effects, etc, and at the very end when the bolt of light comes flying through...I love it! What's so wrong with it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont have a trouble with a simple freeze frame..but the effects do bother me.they take away from the ending,they look cheap and laughable and I think there is a reason no other show has them.I dont see the point in them.

I also dont like the "on the next.." and all the stupif effects they put in them.or in flashback's.remember the time Jack died (1st time) and they had a montage to the song beautifull? the entire thing was covered in shiny glitter.WTH?!

sometimes a simple freeze and fade out to black is much more powerfull then have Sami's head turn all white while the background turns black.

• Members

You know, I agree that sometimes you do more with less. I love the fact that they alternate now between the freeze frame and the fade to black. It does make DAYS look very cheap when they do those cheesy endings, but it's kinda a part of DAYS now. I don't mind it as long as they do it in moderation.

• Members

If you haven't noticed they don't do them everyday now maybe they are phasing it out or something. Or at least I hope they are and the freeze frame thing is fine its the moronic special effects used that are so cheesy and stupid.

• Members

I'm a fan of the days when we get a simple fade to black ending. I wish all of them could be like that. I don't think freeze frames are necessary. When they do it, and they change the color of everything on screen, I hate that. I remember the one day, under Reilly's writing, Sami was upset about John and Marlena being together. The freeze frame at the end turned Sami green, as if to say that she is "green with envy." That's ridiculous.

• Members

The freeze frame is not as bad as the special effects but I still don't like it. It's a way of artificially conveying the emotion of a character instead of allowing the actors to do their thing. Very tacky.

My fave was when they had "Days of our Lives" imposed on the final scene and then scroll the credits while the scene was still playing. I also liked the fade to black followed by the full theme music. Up until the late 90's, they would usually alternate between these two endings.

• Members

TOTALLY AGREE!

Let the actors build that suspense for you instead of artifiically developing it.

That, for me, was a DAYS trademark, when they would flash "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" and the Corday Production Credit at the end of the last scene. It was like, "Holy crap, I wanna see what's next."

It makes all the suspense DAYS builds up seem cheap.

I also don't like the previews for the next episode either, but that is just my own personal thing. Everyone is using previews now(except B&B on occasion).

• Members

The ending attempts to be creative and intensify the drama. It fails, miserably. The two Ponz mentioned are classic. It should be left up to the material to reach the highest points of drama. The reason these are called soap operas are because they are set up like stage productions, as far drasmatic value, and you can't make the image change on stage, except with lighting. And these effects don't for lack of a better word have the same effect. A freeze frame/credit roll, unaltered, would be a great thing to see again. And a fade-to-black will never die out, and that includes on stage. Notice, both the classic endings are two things done on stage, as well.

• Members

I remember the time they ended the show on Jennifer with little B&W pictures of frankie and Jack near her,so we will understand that she is torn between the two men.

Ponz,Thanks for the reminder about the ending.I loved those,and wish they would do those once in a while.also wouldnt mind having no previews.

• Members

They're cheap, they're cheesy, they're distracting and take you out of the scene. The cliffhanger ending is when you should be paying close attention more than anything -- it's the jumping point that's supposed to make you want to watch tomorrow. For me personally, as soon as the special effects appear, it immediately takes me out of the story and the feelings of excitement/anticipation immediately disappear, because they're just distracting.

If Steve is angry, I know he's angry... I don't need giant flames burning behind him. If Chelsea and Nick are about to make love, I know that they're having romantic feelings... I don't need giant pink hearts floating in the background. It's just too much! Less is more. Not to mention classier.

Archived