SOD: DAYS Summer Preview...

• Members

I agree with Andre that this DiMera reveal was a last minute re-write.

Corday needs to realize that when it comes to something as important as this, you do not just whip it up in the time that you snap your fingers. It needs to be thought out and planned far ahead before it happens, so you don't just start doing things. As I read this earlier I just felt that this wasn't planned far ahead and some last minute re-write.

I don't even think there should be a big DiMera reveal. I said earlier I wanted the history from the eighties to play a big factor, have that play a factor in the feud! And again a big one! King did it good in his blog, where there wasn't a feud out of what happened on-screen.

Regarding B/H I hoped it would finally be revealed to Stefano they didn't kill Megan and he's been after them for nothing. :lol:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was she supposed to stay an obsessive brat for another ten years? Sami is the future of the show, what little future it has with the next generation; it's time for her to grow up and take the role. I don't want to see the vets do nothing either but I am not going to pretend Sami, Lucas and EJ's roles are not, IMHO, key to the future generations. I have no interest in watching John and Marlena hit 70 still dryhumping each other and globetrotting after Stefano while Sami does nothing but scheme after unattainable, boring men.

I will reserve judgment about the summer. You know, like everyone else did with Melaswen.

• Members

I'd put money on #1. Everything I have read about Hogan and what I have gleamed from interviews points to the fact he is very outspoken and anything but wishy-washy. Plus, Corday has such a long history of messing up this show that he should get all blame unless otherwise noted or other explicit evidence comes to light.

I can just see Hogan in the interview, thinking about all the times Corday has said, "Hmmm... No, we'll go with something else. What about aliens caused the fued? And Rolf was the one who...." The "hopefully" seems more like what he wants but isn't sure he'll get.

Corday is the reason second-generations shouldn't inherit their parents' businesses. Smarts aren't passed on through genes.

• Members

It's just all the other characters have such history with the DiMeras. Bo, Hope, John and Marlena have all been under DiMera control at one point or another. Heck, even Steve has. Sure, Sami has been affected, but before EJ came to town, she was only put into direct DiMera peril a handful of times.

It's like reading a novel, and in the final chapter they bring in two secondary characters to wrap up the story. The reader doesn't care these characters are the future of the book series.

• Members

Exactly! It just feels like a complete slap in the face. "You've made it this long... you've waited all this time for the big payoff.... HAAAA! We fooled you! We're gonna pimp our fresh hotness!"

• Members

Hogan doesn't see Bo, Hope, John & Marlena as lead characters. That much is obvious. Even when they get decent airtime, the vast majority of their dialogue revolves around what their kids are doing. He'll use them to further the plot but he's not prepared to focus on their own relationships or personalities. It's the same way he feels about Victor, Stefano, Tony, Kate, Maggie, Doug, Julie etc. They are useful to prop or help set-up the next generation (Sami, Elvis, Shawn, Belle, Phillip, Nick, Chelsea etc.) and he'll give them the odd romantic scene as a bone to the fans but that's about it. You can't dump this on Corday because it's not an issue of airtime/finances but of creative choice. Corday isn't stopping Hogan from revolving the *feud* around core vets. He's just choosing not to.

• Members

Corday: "Yes... Yes, you like our hotness, don't you? You like it when we pimp it to you. Mmmm. Taste it. Isn't our hotness fresh? I think it's fresh."

[Cut to wide shot of Days writer's room, with Hogan, Esensten, Brown, and other writers with their mouths open.]

Hogan: "And this has to do with the fued...how?"

Corday: [puts finger up to shush Hogie] "Not done." [Hugs himself, then, in a fake woman voice:] "Oh EJ, I luvs you so much. Make love to me." [Then, in British accent:] "Samantha, I'll help stop the aliens and end this horrible fued once and for all. With my piping hot hotness. Do you like it?" [As woman:] "Serve it, serve it to me, you brainwashing stallion."

Esensten: "James, we're out of here."

[They tip-toe out of the room as Corday has his eyes closed, playing out the EJami/alien love scene.]

Corday: "It's perfect. All we need a talking pie sidekick, who has to go back in time for some reason."

Hogan: [sarcastic, face in hands, very tired of all this:] "Maybe to stop the fued before it starts?"

Corday: [Taps nose, with a big, proud smile on his face] "We're gold, baby."

• Members

But then why did we have vets front and center in stories last year? That's what makes the "Hogan doesn't like vets" theory not make sense to me.

Again I think Hogan just had to come up with all of this at the last minute just as JER had to do with Melaswan. With Ken Corday as your boss, you don't know what you will be doing next, lol.

• Members

Now that is one of the things from him I did not like. :lol:

What's happening now is resembling what happened in the eighties when Bo, Hope, Marlena, Roman, Steve, Kayla, Kim, Shane, and eventually John took over the show. And back then, they were newbies too. Mabye Hogan felt that could happen this time around, but who knows.

• Members

Define "front and center". Bo & Hope were given tons of airtime but Hogan's disinterest in them couldn't have been more apparent. He rushed their reunion, swept Zack's death under the rug, rewrote Ciara's paternity & had Hope largely accept the presence of Billie/Chelsea in Bo's life. All of the potential for a lengthy, character-driven story was lost. Hogan wanted the Bope relationship tied up in a neat little bow so they could take up their roles as props for Shelle/Chick. As for John & Marlena, the only time they were front and centre under Hogan was December. Deidre wasn't in the top 10 in episodes in either October or November.

• Members

Their airtime may not have reflected it, but John/Marlena had a great fall. They seemed like they were on a lot, even if they weren't, because of the attention they were getting. That said, I can see how maybe he doesn't like Bo/Hope, because that reunion was rushed.

But, oy. One thing I've noticed is that his last previews sounded awesome, but fell flat. Maybe he's giving less, and we can actually expect a lot more? Who knows. I sound like Tim. :lol: I'm being cautyiously optimistic. And if it sucks, well, I'll have had these past few weeks.

• Members

Good point on Bope, as I have always said it doesn't matter how much airtime someone receives it's what stories they have.

As for Jarlena, Hogan gave them such good material I don't see how he could not like them. They had a great wedding, Marlena seeing Stefano again was FANTASTIC, and so was the shooting of John. ITA with what Keith said about them having a great fall.

Now, they should be front and center in this story, as Sami as a half front half suporting role. But with a re-write you know it won't be the best. :(

Archived