SOW: Thaoo Interiew - Excerpts

• Members

All I hear are more and more excuses for Reilly. Well, gee, Corday, the actors, the fans, the lighting, the grips, craft service...no. You mean the actors he mostly killed off? And yeah, I'm sure it was Thaao's campy acting that sank those brilliant stories Reilly wrote for Tony, like Iraq. Douglass Watson would've made that [!@#$%^&*] work! People make more excuses and equivocations and compromises for Reilly here than Fox News does for Bush, I swear.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not trying to make excuses for Reilly.

But, I keep thinking of people like Amelia Marshall. Marshall was on Passions as Liz. She came on with promise and then...nothing. Nothing except the same freakin' line over and over and over again about how she was gonna get her slut sister Eve. And every time, Marshall made it watchable. Not interesting, not good storyline, but watchable.

So, I mean, it's possible for a good, committed actor to help balance out bad writing (see also: Alison Sweeney). They can't save it entirely, but they don't have to get all hammy like Thaao did and make things worse.

And the bottom line for me is, if he would just shut up I wouldn't have such an issue with him. He's not a victim.

• Members

I really look forward to this whole Brady/DiMera feud. Its a chance for Hogan Sheffer to prove if he can write a strong DAYS mystery/adventure storyline. But this whole return of the DiMeras thing is obviously just something temporary. Joe Mascolo and Thaao Penghlis are most likely to be written out next year. And I dont see Anna DiMera being around for any longer period either.

I remember reading several interviews with Ken Corday during 2000-2004 where he mentions over and over again how tired he is of the DiMeras and how he wants to get rid of them as fast as possible. I remember an interview from 2003 (SOW April 8th issue) where he spends half the interview dissing former headwriters Peter Brash and Paula Cwikly and talking about how much he disliked their direction of the show and that if it was up to him, he would have ended the DiMera story once and for all. He also made it clear in the same article that Joe Mascolo had no place on the show and that his time on DAYS was over. And then in early May 2003 it was also mentioned that he and Dena Higley had agreed to let the characters of John/Marlena/Tony get a rest from the show as well.

Just look at how things seemed to have changed since then. Compare what Corday said in 2003 to what he has said in 2007 interviews. I can understand that some people at this forum have a hard time trusting Corday, beceause he does indeed change his mind and contradicts himself very often.

• Members

That's sooo true and it is weird that Phenglis blames JER for it considering it was Corday screaming from rooftops about completely erasing the DiMera name. Corday is full of it. Even this past fall, there was clear determination to remove Stefano (and to some extent Victor) from the picture and pass the torch down. Since that failed MISERABLY (Neither Phillip, Shawn and to a much lesser extent EJ have been written in a way for us to believe they can stand on their own two feet let alone carry this show).

Phenglis does sound a little sincere and his comment on his concern for his father makes me remember the character of Tony when he was devious but not evil or cartoonish. There were many times when he was humane. Hogan has the hard job of erasing all the memories that JER left us, particularly of those where Tony burned his father alive.

• Members

I dont understand why Ken Corday is so against the DiMeras in the first place. It was after all mainly the DiMera plots last decade that made DAYS so successfull. Corday should be grateful that the writers from earlier decades managed to create such a well known, popular and talked about family. DAYS need the DiMeras just as much as they need the Hortons and Bradys.

Ken Corday should instead focus on making sure that the DiMeras are well written. I hope we dont have to see anymore of the cartoonish version that DAYS tried the first half of this decade.

• Members

And also there is one little detail that I have always wondered about. Is Tony supposed to be Stefano DiMeras real son or not? I have noticed that different people say different things about this. My memory fails me here. Was this question ever resolved on the show?

Archived