OLTL: Grade the show

• Members

ONE LIFE is not sucking for the most part. I did give OLTL a grade B- in case you missed it (I bolded in my original post as well). PASSIONS deserves to be bashed IMHO and IMHO, it's a shame that of all of the soaps canceled in the last several years that PASSIONS was the one saved. IMHO, LOVING, SANTA BARBARA, THE CITY & ANOTHER WORLD are far superior to PASSIONS and didn't deserve to be canceled.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did notice the grade you gave OLTL, however, my point was that this thread was about OLTL not Passions. Of course your humbled opinion is noted, however, it is just that: YOUR OPINION. I happen to find Passions very entertaining and I am very happy that it was saved from cancellation. The above mentioned shows were all worthy of remaining on the air, but they didn't so get over it.

• Members

You know I give it a C- for much the same reason Jay does. It's not very good right now. It does have some good points and good stories. Unfortunately Higley just runs them into the ground.

The abuse and misuse of the over 50 group is awful. I most troubled by the really lousy stereotypes. Granted, they are obviously trying to do this big story about racism and revealing everyone's bigotry. For that to work, however, there would have to be decent pacing with the story and there isn't.

The saving grace is the actors.

• Members

I posted this in the other thread, but what the heck. A little late in talking about earlier on this week, but I had to comment. What has happened with OLTL? It's gone from like 7 to 2 in 2 weeks time. All of these "morale" and "public announcement" storylines are coming across very out of place and OLTL used to handle them very well, now it is embarassing.

First of all a GAY Aids Awareness where Tate is outed?? This has to be one of the most offensive SL's ever, especially for a show that somewhat handled it better earlier on. Associating AIDS automaticaly with being gay is wrong first of all, and then making this blanket statement that it is wrong for Tate, even when he isn't, is another. They have just destroyed the character of Rex for me, which is bad since for the past 2 years he was awesome to watch. (Didn't care for him much before then).

And then Jessica's Hepatitis C SL. I've been really enjoying the Jess/Nash/Antonio triangle, it wasn't forced and Jess and Nash have a natural chemistry. For whatever reason this show seems to think it has to go through a list of medical disorders and incorporate it into every fricken storyline (remember Al's garbage virus? Gag me), but Hepatitis C? What is the show getting out of this, especially with a character so CENTRAL and important like Jessica? I think they have just crossed the line with this plot development. Hep C is incurable, debilitating, and so contagious. So Jess is not going to have more kids? Antonio's going to have it? Bree? Nash? And if Jessica is instantly sick from it, her kidneys are next to go? Is that going to be November sweeps? Jessica needs a kidney?

I've been enjoying OLTL a lot but they made several wrong decisions this May sweeps.

• Members

Why does the fact that other soaps are worse affect OLTL's grade? It's not a grading curve! All the soaps could have F, or they could all be A. Even if it didn't affact the grade, why bring other soaps into it? It doesn't make sense, despite the fact you said Passions "deserves" to be bashed. ???

• Members

Jessiho and Trash are a big reason this show is in the toilet right now. First, the triangle was all wrong. Jessica was made to look like an unfeeling slut who can't control herself while Trash came off as the selfish SOB he's always been. Garbage. Just garbage! Now, because this story has not dragged on long enough, Jessica has to get sick so that the audience will want to see her get well so that she can be with the man she really loves, Trash. The story has made Ant look good! WTF!

I may be in the minority, but Jess dying is the only outcome I want from this.

ANDREA

• Members

I'm sensitive to the letter "F" these days. I'll show the show some mercy and give it a "D".

The show is far too dark with its choice of storylines (Jessica's Hepatitis, Todd's stabbing) and when it attempts humor (Tate/Rex), it's downright offensive. There aren't enough rooting couples and those that are shoved down our throats (Starr/Cole, Rex/Adrianna, Antonio/Jess, Natlaie/John) aren't that interesting. OLTL needs to strike a balance between character rotation and types of storyline.

• Members

I agree with this post. I hate all the PSAs and they really are poorly done. The HepC story is pointless. If they have to make her sick, why HepC? I'm seriously bothered by the AIDS story, the outing story and my fear that we are about to see another of Dena's angry gay man stories.

Now I know May sweeps was affected by the decision to drop the school hostage story. It shows right now, however, how much they had invested in one single story for the entire month. Right now, the show is primarily filler material.

• Members

I'm also sick of the illness storylines and the someone's gotten shot and in the hospital storylines as well. I don't think this Tate's gay storyline has ruined Rex, I think what's ruining Rex is the Tommy McBain is Todd Jr storyline. It's also ruining Michael McBain as well. I still like Rex, but he's a little ruined with this storyline.

Also although Hepatitis C is incurable, it can be treated and some people have done very well with hit, such as Naomi Judd. I do wish that Jessica wasn't given this illness. It should've been someone like Nash.

Archived