ATWT: Friday Discussion

• Members

It's just our own personal opinions, CarOn. It's okay if we all have different opinions, but repeatedly saying comments like that^^ is rude and unnecessary. :)

As for me, I'm not that big of a fan of Simon/Carly. I think that the only reason that he was romantically entangled with Carly was because he wanted to get back at Katie for doing the same thing with both him and Mike. As for Carly, she needed to fill a void left by the deterioration of her marriage to Jack, no thanks to her foolish antics.

And yes, I think it is safe to say that CarJack will re-unite. But the only reason that their break-up scenes were so phenomenal is because the fans know how much time was invested in that relationship and they know how much love was present. Those break-up scenes would not have been nearly as fantastic if CarJack had just been the result of a one night fling that ended because they were now sober. No, those scenes were what they were because viewers know how much they love and need one another. I think, as humans, we've all been in that same spot a time or two ourselves.

I resent that. <_<

I know!! Won't it?!??!!!! :D

Okay. Forgive me if it seems like I'm picking on you, CarOn, but you said alot of stuff that I feel the need to express my opinion about. Which is good. This is a discussion of the show. However, it's not a place to bash people for their own opinions.

Brad being threatened..IS important. It's obvious that they're

<<spoiler

Nobody said they hated the character of Casey. Casey is a character with both a rich character history and several familial ties to many outstanding veteran characters. And as far as his return, that hasn't been confirmed yet...and I doubt it will be for a while.

Bob and Kim could easily have a storyline all their own. Several (like oakdalelover) have mentioned scenarios for a good vet storyline, though, and you've shot them down as stupid and ridiculous.

The writers do prop characters. Why do you think that mostly all the characters on the right side of my banner are continuously featured, but yet the veterans seem to only get occasional airtime and there's no airtime hardly for other characters. However, I do think this is one thing that TPTB are working on. All I can say is...give it time.

Characters should not be having a love life at the age of 9. That's not only creepy to watch, but it takes airtime away from class acts such as Don, Helen, Eileen, Kathleen, Kathryn, etc.

How can ATWT not be the "Cleo/Gwen" show when they're on 4 out of 5 times a week?! That, my friend, is character propping.

I don't believe anyone wants Luke to have airtime 24/7. No doubt that such an event would lead to even winterguy and Soapsuds beginning to wish he had less airtime. It's all about balance. Nobody wants to see the same characters day in and day out. A little change is needed to keep everyone satisified. Again, I think TPTB are slowly but surely working on it.

Characters at the farm means more airtime for Emma? Since when?! We see her maybe 2, 3, 4 times every month. However, we constantly see everyone using the farm as the latest Oakdale hotel. I don't care if you're family or not, I sure wouldn't want my family all gangpiling over at my house 24/7. They have their own homes. I'm sure Emma would like some privacy and peace and quiet every so often. :P

I do agree. I think ATWT is one of the best soaps of all time. Right now? Eh... I have my days that I begin to think so. I sure do have hope, though, that ATWT will soon return to the powerhouse soap it once was. But I fear that hope won't get one far. It's a matter of initiative on TPTB's part.

But that's all just MY opinion. And I'm allowed to have it. :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How is it rude to express amazement? It truly does amaze me how you guys callously dismiss storylines and characters for the most random reasons. I understand that people will disagree and like I've said before it doesn't bother me at all. However I will say when I disagree and why. As for Simon and Carly I think you've got the wrong picture about them. Simon didn't give a crap about Katie at all. He only slept with the whore because she was all over him for months. He was dedicated to making things work with Carly and their relationship was real and could have been something spetacular. A once ina lifetime relationship full of mutual understanding, clear expectations, and true love. Carly's mistakes were all due to her loving Jack and since Jack and his massive army of "holier than Carly" supporters can't seem to get that he obviously doesn't deserve Carly. Carly was trying to fill a void. Anyone would. But she did fill it and it was filled with something great and something that could have been permanent had not time restrictions dictated otherwise. If Paul Leyden had come back on a fulltime basis I'm sure Simon and Carly would still be together today. The only reason they split up is because the storyline needed to do it due to his short term contract.

IMHO CarJack isn't on the same plane as CarOn for so many reasons.

What storylines for veterans have I shot down as stupid? Name one....and again I ask what storyline would you create for a vet like Kim and Bob that would last 5-6 months and be engaging and interesting. Say one and I'll give you my opinion about it. I haven't heard anything though except that they're aren't on enough.

And yes I can say that a lot of people hated Casey and the actor who played him (Zach). Now on this board specifically I didn't take polls but it does seem like he wasn't really popular or that people cared about the character. Even if he was a Hughes most people hated him when he came on the show and even now ithe majority of watchers could care less that Casey has gone. Again whats with all the uproar over the fact that Kim didn't say bye to him. The same indifference and anger towards Casey was done with Jade (is still done) even though shes Rose's daughter.

I already knew about the Brad spoiler and his storyline but I'm talking about writer intentions. Its not at all possible for them to have wanted to create a false illusion of calm surrounding the whole Brad is being threatened scenario so that viewers would be shocked (in a small way granted) that he actually MIGHT be in danger? Especially if they don't even know whats coming up? But any excuse to bash Austin Peck is okay I guess...

As for Luke there was a spoiler thread regarding him and in it several members mentioned how they'd love to see him on everyday. Then they took it back. Sorry but thats flip-flopping...no matter how brief it is. I also don't mind the character of Luke and I think his storlyine will great also so I look forward to it. However if hes on 4-5 days a week I won't complain because I find it much easier to understand and enjoy a storyline when a show isn't switching scenes every 1 minute. Thats annoying and frustrating.

Parker and Faith aren't having sex....they're not rutting like the couple of horny bunny rabbits Mike and Katie were during their entire existence onscreen. For goodness sakes they haven't even kissed yet! How could that possibly be creepy? They are clearly laying ground work for the future of ATWT and I for one appreciate it. Its funny, intriiguing, and downright adorable. I'm not saying I want to see Parker and Faith on 24/7. I'm just saying that I do want to see them onscreen since the kids are great actors and the storyline has so much potential. On the Emma and the farm note I think she loves having them around. They are family after all. Plus it keeps things exciting. Also again if Emma is in a central storyline I'd be more than happy to see her on my screen constantly.

As for Gwen/Cleo I like the storyline. Its a front burner storyline and Jen Landon is doing an excellent job with it. I'd understand it if this was because the storyline was horrible but it isn't. Its gone in a completely different direction than I thought it would and once again ATWT proves to me how great it is.

Last but not least I don't think you're bothering me by quoting what I said. I stand by my statements and I'm happy to discuss them with people. Just like I dont let it get to me when I see the same people post the same negative comments about the show on a daily basis. Its how they feel and I just read it, comment a little, and move on cuz I've realized that nothing is really going to change peoples minds about certain subjects.

• Members

No. "We" give legitimate, well explained reasons for our distaste in various areas of the show.

Just the other day, oakdalelover suggested a storyline for Bob/Kim/Susan. Obviously, you misinterpreted the entire post and called it ridiculous. Go back and look.

Nobody said they hated Casey! And some might not like Jade's antics, but I can't think of one member here who hates Jade as a character. And it's true. Zach Roerig might not have been the best actor, but he was getting better. Alot of ATWT posters are upset because ATWT wrote off the character instead of recasting him or some are mad because Zach left. As far as Kim/Lisa/Bob/etc. not being there to send Casey off....wouldn't you want to be there as your grandchild goes off to prison for 6 months?!

Simon/Carly would doubtfully still be together. CarJack's fans oevrwhelm the number of CarOn fans and as much as I hate to say it, the majority rules when it comes to couples. I won't dispute anymore with you over Carly/Simon/Jack. It's clear that our opinions are opposing on the matter and you always seem to carry the argument everywhere you go. And that's fine, too. It's your opinion.

So basically, you don't like scenes switching every 1 minute?! You like to see the same characters/story 4 or 5 days a week? Well then just load up all the characters and shove 'em in a room together. :lol: Or better yet, only have one story!! :rolleyes::P It's called "balance". It's what makes the 'World' go 'round....literally.

As far as Luke, whatever you want to believe you read, that's fine. But don't accuse fellow posters of "flip-flopping". I, myself, have seen you do the exact same thing before. Hell, I think we all have at some point or another in our lives. It's human nature.

Emma: Okay, imagine having your husband's nephew, his 3 kids, your son, his wife/your granddaughter, their 3 kids, your husband's other nephew, and some sophisticated broad from Leonia....ALL....in YOUR house....24/7. I think even the most peaceful human being would be a little irked.

The Cleo/Gwen story is unnecessary. Jade is still upset because Will is with Gwen and not her, so she hires a dead ringer to take over Gwen's life and push Will into Jade's arms. :huh: Am I watching "X-Files" or "As The World Turns"?! I, do admit that I like Jennifer Landon. But seeing her on my screen every day of the week is nauseating. At this point, I think I wouldn't be surprised if they film her clipping her toenails or using the bathroom.

Negative comments come with bad writing. Positive comments come with good writing. YOU think it's GOOD writing. Well, not all of us think the same. So we're going to discuss the flaws of the writing and the mis-characterizations. We're going to point out good things and bad things. We are going to discuss.

• Members

Is it my fault if CarJack is constantly being discussed in new spoilers and people decide to take pot shots at Carly and Simon at every oppurtunity? Just yesterday a thread started out on how Carly is coming back and that shes split from Simon and someone mentioned how they were so disappointed that they wouldn't be able to see the breakup on tv. I don't bring it up everywhere and I don't carry a flame for them into every single discussion. Its not my fault that Simon and Carly are part of the mess that is Henry/Vienna/Brad/Katie/Jack and by extension Parker/Faith (which you neglected to comment on as well as Brad's storyline) who once again I'd rather see onscreen than certain vets who have nothing major going on. I comment on each days episode and on everyone in the episode even if I might not like the character.

As for me IF I had a grandson who was going to jail I'd first talk to his parents and see what THEY want to do. As for goodbyes I'd probably send a letter and have a long phone call with him since it would be a little sad to see him in person and I wouldn't want him to feel anymore feelings of guilt or worry. Caseys not dying. Hes just leaving. This to me is not some grand family spectale. Its a private event and if I were the parents in the situation I'd keep this very immediate family only. He may be recast. I don't have any insider info but I do know hes probably not going to die in jail. Kim not saying bye isn't going to break or make ATWT. Neither is the fact that a scene wasn't held in which Barbara was told of Jenny's death. Presumably she was told offscreen. No one mentions Jenny anymore because Jenny is gone and unlike Johnny there was not a massive conspiracy to hide her true identity. Not to mention shes tragically dead. On a more general note ATWT has such a huge history that to bring it up in every single scene sounds like a lot of unncessary filler material. We already know the history. Do we need to hear it everytime everyday? Not to mention to what extent do you want the characters to mention something related to history? Give an example....

Sometimes there are legiimate reason..."balance". But they're there everyday. No more to say about that one except it is what it is. No I don't want to see a storyline start on Monday and then be dropped until Thursday. Unless the storyline is horrible I don't mind seeing it for half an hour 3 to 4 days a week no matter who its centered on.

As for the Bob/Kim/Susan thing yesterday it was in my mind ridiculous. Are I supposed to be excited at the thought of Kim being jealous in some wierd way (at the age of 60 or above) about Bob feeling bad about Susan drinking? That "storyline" would last like a week. Unless you're planning on Bob cheating on Kim with Susan which again at that age sounds not only gross but completely out of charater and against history. They are past that stage. It wouldn't make any sense after all the scenes we've seen of Bob and Kim being happy together in their old age to just create a new storyline. I can just see the promo, "This week the world HEATS UP as really old flames are rekindled and old jealousies are stirred up. See it this week on As The World Turns!" And during the promo Kim b*tchslaps Susan in the hospital. I appreciate what they did when younger but I just don't see how any storyline involving Bob & Kim could last 5 to 6 months and consistently hold my attention while progressing at a normal pace and arriving at some satisfying conclusion.

As for flip flopping I'm not "imagining" things up. If you'd like I can go get the title of the thread and link for you if you'd like. Not to mention you've already named one of the people doing the "flip flopping". I call a spade a spade. Sorry if that offends you. Flip flopping is saying one thing and then chaning opposite directions on it the next and promoting something opposite. In this thread a certain member said they would love to have Luke on 4 to 5 days a week in his new storyline and he wouldn't mind seeing that relationship played out on a daily basis. Maybe he was being sarcastic but he didn't say so. When I mentioned that it was the EXACT same thing as what they complained about with Gwen they changed their mind. Sounds like flip flopping to me. When have I flip flopped? Except on my feelings/attitudes towards Katie (who I still believe is a slut and trash but I am starting to enjoy again thanks to Jack and Brad) I haven't changed my opinion on anything major. Paul's revenge plan sounded weak at first but I wanted to see it in action before I completely made a decision. And I've said from Day 1 that while I would loved to have Jessica Dunphy back as Alison, NuAlison is doing a perfect job. Emily is still on the fence for me although shes improved from the days where I loathed her. Yes opinions change but a flip flop for me would be to say, "OH CarJack is the greatest couple ever" or say that Simon really wanted Carly just for sex (which I don't believe and will never believe).

Once again I didn't say that people saying ATWT sucks is a crime. But I won't deny that it saddens me and that I find it confusing.

• Members

Once again I didn't say that people saying ATWT sucks is a crime. But I won't deny that it saddens me and that I find it confusing.

Then we should lie and say how great the show is? How can it be confusing? The show sucks right now. Only Craig and Lucinda make it watchable at all. Somtimes when I find the episode to be really bad I wont post about it.

• Members

Well Every message board that discusses ATWT feels the same way most of us feel, so I don't know what is so confusing about it, I could understand if just SON posters were slamming the show, but that is not the case, there are like 10 other message boards saying the same things we are and they are not the same posters that post here, so I think it is a general consensus that the show sucks right now, pretty much the only people enjoying the show right now are die hard Will and Gwen fans, or fans that like Brad and Katie, if you don't like them the show sucks seeing as the whole show is about them and that is it, I don't find it confusing at all.

Hell I even did a poll on another message board asking if you want Gwen backbunered and 230 out of 260 said yes, I think that pretty much speaks to the fact that most people are not enjoying this daily Gwenfest we have.

• Members

It's a message board. We are suppose to give our opinion on Carly's return. How it should be handled. Your post makes zero sense.

After reading this post now I know why you love the show. The show is catering to you. No care for history at all. The excuses you are making for not using its history are ridiculous.

Well, in my opinion the storylines are horrible so why see it.

Are you a teen viewer? It is written all over this post. You think characters over 60 can't have a meaningful storyline.

• Members

LOL! I mean really I am going to come on here after watching 30 minutes of Gwen and Cleo and then 14 minutes of Brad and Katie doing the same thing they did the day before and just say wow that was a great show, when I hated it, I really don't understand that people want us to lie about it, if people like it fine, but don't try to force us to say we like it, sorry but I will not lie just to make other posters happy.

• Members

***Is it my fault if CarJack is constantly being discussed in new spoilers and people decide to take pot shots at Carly and Simon at every oppurtunity? Just yesterday a thread started out on how Carly is coming back and that shes split from Simon and someone mentioned how they were so disappointed that they wouldn't be able to see the breakup on tv.***

Honestly, if my opinion offends you so much, do us all a favor and put me on your ignore list. It works wonders, trust me.

I stand by my opinion though...it would be more satisfying for ALL the fans to see the "end" of Carly/Simon, rather than just hear about it second hand.

• Members

BTW, if I can ask a question, as someone who is watching sporadically at best.

Is Paul living at the Lakeview now?

Don't get me wrong - I'm THRILLED he's out of that horrid, isolated cabin.

BUT....WTF happened to his penthouse?

• Members

I don't think they have outright said whether he is living at the lakeview, be me like you am beginning to assume that he is.

As for the penthouse, that''s a good question it seems like most of the houses in Oakdale have disappeared lately, Jack and Carly's house, Lily and Holden's house, and now the penthouse, most everything takes place at Emma's kitchen or Al's diner anymore, though we did see fairwinds the other day, which shocked me.

• Members

Yup...and we've seen the Stewart house, right?

That's right, we haven't seen Jack and Carly's house since Carly left.

I think the last time we saw the PH was when Paul almost fell off the balcony back in December....then he had his accident, then the hospital, then the cabin.

• Members

Did I say not to give your opinion on Carlys return? NO. So don't put words in my mouth. I made perfect sense seeing as how the previous poster brought up his opinion that I "constantly" talk about Simon and Carly all the time. My response was that just maybe its because there are a million threads dedicated to Carly's return and just maybe its the fact that usually Simon and Jack are brought up.

As for history you neither elaborated on what you meant by "history" nor did you comment on my examples of what I think is not that big a deal. So your assumptions that I don't, "care" for history are completely mystifying to me.

As for the show "catering" to me thats a complete joke...there are things I don't like about the show and I express them everyday. Like the fact that Craig is being written so rought and uncivilized is appalling to me and I wish we had Hunt Block back. But I'm not going to apologize for enjoying the show and not being a viewer for 30 plus years.

As for vets I've said countless times that I don't mind if they're on as long as they have a real storyline on and a real purpose. Not just there to be there. And to clarify I'm not against old people being on soaps at all. But I do think that theres only so much they can do. So forgive me if I don't find a 5 month arc featuring Kim and Bob to be exciting or worthwhile. But again I ask someone to create some type of plot that would make it interesting. Then I'll let you know what I think. But I stand by my belief that there are very very few storylines that a vet could actually be front and center and have it mean anything or garner any real attention.

Last but not least I'm 21. 2nd I'm not childish enough to use this "Ignore" feature. I might not like what you say but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go cry, run into a corner, and curl up into the fetal position. As for my use of the word, "confusion" I admit that it was probably the wrong word to use. Perhaps frustration is better. Anyways I don't want people to lie and if you feel like complaining go ahead although it really won't do much in the grand scheme of things. All I'm saying is that I find your reasons for complaining to be perplexing and frustrating. But the show does NOT "suck".

Archived