Rumored OLTL May Sweeps Story Involving Teens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be in very poor taste to do a storyline like this right now. I agree with the poster that says a good way to do this is if someone finds out that a student was planning this. Then have a student tell the police. Please OLTL, don't do a school shooting storyline.

• Members

The write-up on this should be posted on the main site within the hour or so.

And I hope you guys will bear with me over the next few weeks. With last Tuesday's pre-emption of One Life to Live, and with the changes in the upcoming high school storyline, the previews will likely be a little screwed up for the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance everyone. :)

• Members

I would agree with you if the show had a more capable writer but with Higely at the helm I have a feeling it wouldn't have come out looking good.

I think it was the right decision to scrap the storyline and hopefully this will lead to Higley being fire or at least them re-thinking anymore of her ripped from the headline story ideas.

• Members

Here's the article from TV Guide if anyone's interested

Crisis at Llanview High

Sadly, this is a plot that's way to timely. On May 4th the teens on OLTL--Starr, Cole, Langston & Britney--will be held hostageat gunpoint by fellow student Henry. The troubledyouth is played by Jonathon Groff, the 22-year-old star of Broadway's "Spring Awakening." What sends Henry over the egde? His affections are spurned by the bitchy Britney. "We find out Henry has been mistreated by kids his whole life." Groff explains, "He's isolated and frustrated and his hormones are exploding. Add Britney and it's a toxic mix." An ABC rep says the story, taped weeks before the Virginia Tech massacre, was carefully vetted in the wake of the tragedy and will be presented "in the most sensitive way possible." And there were never any plans for bloodshed. Though Henry intends to kill and then commit suicide, he will be stopped.

ETA: I just saw the info that it has been pulled so disregard the article

• Members

Lsk, I do agree---there is the Higley factor (which I SOOO hate) which almost makes me glad they are scrapping....though from the sounds of the TV guide article, I don't know if they are really scrapping everything or re working it.

• Members

I'd go with the article released today.

The TV Guide article was done last week when they were trying to figure out what they were going to do and since the magazine is already out in some places it's too late to reprint it.

• Members

So don't discount the Higley factor here. From some of the other previews the hostage crisis ending with an on with the show into the performance of Oklahoma tends to say it all. Just the way to deal with a serious subject by a resounding chorus of the farmer and the cowmen should be friends (credit Dandesun).

• Members

If done right, I agree. OTH did a real good job with it's recent school shooting for the reasons you mentioned. But with OLTL in general, and knowing Dena Higley, it will be played for shock value, with little social relevance and little impact on the characters in the long run other than "Phew ... survived another shooting / police situation here in Llanview" - which seems to be the case almost every time I randomly tune in.

On the other hand, it may be the final breaking point that'll get Dena Higley fired from OLTL, so that could be a bonus for yall.

Archived