DAYS: May Sweeps

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry, Tim. I don't think they deserve any leeway. I'm sick of hearing them say things. I've done it for at least five years. I'll poopoo every word out of Corday's mouth until I *SEE* something. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• Members

Wow so Corday's giving previews.....this isn't good. If the show has a headwriter and he/she ain't giving previews...you know they are clashing.

AMC did it last year when McTavish was rumored to be out in the fall, McTavish was silent as hell and JHC gave previews. Then McTavish gave November sweeps previews.

I am not going to get my hopes up based on Corday's slick talking. If what he says translates great on-screen then good. If not it'll be same [!@#$%^&*] different week.

I don't like the fact that Hogan Sheffer is silent, but maybe him doing so will keep him his job (i.e. not going to the mags and telling what an !@#$%^&*] Corday is to work with).

I also stay firm in my belief that Corday wanted to train viewers to get used to not seeing Bo, Hope, John & Marlena just in case DAYS needed to slash it's budget heavily in order to stay on NBC. This way if/when the news broke that they were leaving, he could say something like "Though we are sad with their loss, viewers have become adjusted to DAYS without the big 4." I'm not changing my stance....

• Members

Are you serious? Can't we at least wait until it airs until we get nervous about it? Maybe I'm just a fan of Hogan's style of writing, but when I hear he has an umbrella storyline coming up, impending doom is the last thing I think of. I'm looking forward to a story that integrates all of the characters in the whole town. It's what he does best (at least what he did best at ATWT) so I can't wait to see what he has in store.

I'm really sorry you feel that way but I completely disagree with most of what you're saying. IF you feel that balance is a major problem, I could understand.......but repetitiveness? No. Something new happens every day and we're not treated to a rehash of the same conversation on a daily basis. That's repetitiveness. Check out DAYS either 1 year or 2 years ago or watch AMC's baby switch story from '04 and you'll see a show that is repetitive. The current DAYS is anything but.

And I, for one, am not perpetuating the idea that you're a disloyal fan if you b!tch, moan, and complain about your show when it's bad or when you don't like it. That's fine. My problem is not only is DAYS not that bad right now, it's in better shape than it's been in since Brash & Cwikly, maybe even before that. Characters have motivations for their actions so what they do actually makes sense. Yes, the vets have been sidelined of late, but Bo & Hope were coming off a full year's worth of strong story & John & Marlena's last major storyline was a complete bomb.

And not to be repetitive or anything, but the budget is also obviously the problem here. Yes, not all my faves are being featured heavily. Yes, most of the characters I see regularly I hated or was indifferent to last year at this time. But now, I actually enjoy watching them and haven't minded as much as I normally would the sidelining of the vets. Why? Because, at the very least, the stories and characters were/are compelling to watch, something DAYS has not been, for me, since the first 1/2 of the SSK storyline.

I'll complain when they bring JER back or things start going in circles again or the writers start treating me like a moron who only watches DAYS and Saved By The Bell, like they have so often in the past.

• Members

EJ and his schemes and manipulations has been a sort of umbrella story, involving everyone from Sami and Lucas to Steve, Kayla and even the Phillip/Shawn/Belle plot. And it's sucked.

If they can't even get a semi-umbrella story right, it makes me nervous about diving even further into a bigger one.

• Members

I agree that the budget has alot to do with it. However, I don't think they're handling it in the best way. When you're having budget issues, you don't bring on newbies like Gabby, Duck, Jed, and the soon-to-arrive Jett and Jeremy.

Meanwhile, Days is completely repetetive at the moment, IMO. Sami and EJ have the same conversation daily, as do Sami and Lucas. EJ threatens, Lucas walks in, Sami lies, Lucas buys it. Shawn and Belle have the same conversation daily, too. As do Kayla and Steve... she wants him to get help, he wants to do it his own way, she wants to support him, he wants her to go away to stay safe... and on and on and on. And if I hear Kate trying to talk Lucas out of a relationship one more time, I'm going to scream. It's all she's done for years now! Enough talking, enough repetition. I want climaxes and resolutions and payoffs.

• Members

Things are very redundant, the dialog being snazzier and funnier doesn't negate that, though it's a step up. Plots have gone nowhere and nothing compelling has come from the slowed pace either. Yes I'm glad that there are deeper characterizations now but let's not pretend that any one element is everything a show should be. The show has spent months going around in circles.

• Members

I definitely agree with that. Even though I don't think DAYS is that bad right now, I have to agree that the repetitiveness is getting really old. With every episode I watch, I just get more and more anxious to see something, anything happen, as long as there's movement. And that's really the key: movement. That's something DAYS really needs right now.

• Members

DAYS just started taping again this week after being dark for two weeks so part of May had probably already been taped. I don't look for any big changes until the end of May at least, more likely June. And while these previews aren't exciting, I think most or all of these stories are going to be wrapped up soon so the new summer storylines can start. For example, it mentions a lot of airtime for Chelsea/Nick/Max/Willow but also mentions Willow is going to "get caught in her own devious plot". I take that to mean this hairbrush/arson/robbery storyline is going to be wrapped up and MAYBE that will signal the end of Willow, like has been rumored. Same with the Belle/Shawn stuff. If Bo is going to get involved, that probably means the Gabby story will end and everyone will be coming back to Salem. So, while it doesn't sound mind-blowingly exciting, I'm very optimistic that we're going to be seeing a lot of these stories ending. Then, the new stories can begin, probably in June. Realistically, we can't expect changes overnight. I'd say the writing staff had a very frantic two weeks, throwing out scripts, re-doing storylines, pitching new ideas...it's going to take some time to see the results. So I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

• Members

I agree.

The dialogue is much improved. It's snappier, it's more realistic. I think they're allowing the actors to throw in their own little lines now and again, too... it's great. However, it doesn't change the fact that the stories are all at a standstill. And with that is bound to come repetition. They can dress up the same conversation as many different ways with as many different word plays as they want -- the fact remains that it's the same conversation they had yesterday, and the day before that.

• Members

By 'wrapped up,' I hope you mean they'll be brought to a dramatic climax and fans will be given a payoff. Because if the stories are all just shoved to the backburner, dropped, forgotten and fade away, I'm going to be pissed. I'm sure that's what'll end up happening, though.

• Members

Cautious optimism works for me, I'm gonna let the rest of you do the hoping though while I sit this sweeps out; if the show was to pick up I'll have no problem being a jenny-come-lately this time ^_^ February just took so much out of me, but the rest of you have my blessings!

Days isn't awful but it's very easy to understand why the ratings have dipped IMO. We all can sit here and say how much we like this or that (and don't get me wrong, I like some of the changes too) but the ratings speak for themselves and like it or not the causes have to be addressed. It does no good to sit around and judge the Days audience for being spoiled, blah blah blah. The customer is always right and if you want to make the show capable of being shopped around with any realistic hope then you have to find what's not working.

• Members

I'm not looking forward to John coming out of this coma unless he stays on the backburner.

I wish that Hope would do more than stay home with the baby.

I'm glad the younger set will still be getting lots of airtime. I also hope they recast Abby down the road.

Archived