DAYS: Why do they never bring back the villains?

• Members

This is something frustrating that I recently noticed.

Everytime they bring back characters from the past, it seems that the villains and villainesses are always ignored while only the goody-goody characters are given the welcome to return.

Eileen Davidson expressed interest in returning, and she was never even approached. Louise Sorel, still unemployed, has said she'd love to return... and we've heard nothing. Arianne Zuker played bad-girl Nicole, and she's still gone. And what about Joseph Mascolo? He said he'd love to return long-term, but Days doesn't seem to want him. The only 'bad' guy who ever seems to make a return is Tony... however unfortunate that is.

Meanwhile, characters like Carrie, Austin, Steve, Kayla and Adrienne have all been brought back (or are being brought back) over the last several years. Not that I don't enjoy those characters, but seriously... what gives? Why are only the 'good' characters ever given the welcome back while the villains -- the unforgettable characters who drive story -- are neglected?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Although I've always liked Tony and Stefano and would love to have Kristen back, it would be nice to have a non-Dimera villain. I always liked Vivian, Lawrence was a good villain, and Victor is great when he is evil--he was ruined when he was defanged (although Hogan seems to be writing him dark again). I never liked Jan, especially the Shawn-in-a-cage version, although I think the actress was great and could be a wonderful villain if written properly.

• Members

I was just thinking the same thing, Kenny. Everytime they bring someone back I keep thinking, "Okay, the next one has GOT to be Kristen or Vivian, or Stefano, etc." or someone like that. And it never is. I really hope Corday's been kicking himself ever since January or February or whenever it was announced that Eileen was going to B&B, because he missed the boat BIG TIME.

• Members

You asked, and I feel someone should gtive an answer. As someone who loves his villains, I think i can give you something somewhat satisfactory. Basically, the villains are never intended to be as popular as they are. They aren't who Corday banks on. He banks on the good guys, the moral compasses. And we all know he's an idiot. And maybe it should be that way, but writers have failed to make those characters interesting for years.

• Members

Oh my god Kenny.

You read my mind.

I want Michael Sabatino back as Lawrence, and have him hook up with Kate.

I think John needs someone to fight with that's not a DiMera.

I want Marlena to have an adversary again, too. I say just make Kate that person. Marlena can get other friends.

• Members

I want Vivian back so bad. I am so sick of the Dimeras - there's nothing new that can be done with them. Making them the ones responsible for Steve's presumed death and amnesia, for the GLoved Hand nonsense, is the most uninteresting route Corday/Sheffer could have chosen. They should have made EJ an Alamain.

Archived