AW: Why is there anger at The OC, OTH, & Frons...

• Members

The statement isn't baseless- the only time we've seen the demo ratings for AW were after its cancellation on TVGuide.com. Up until then, we haven't seen ratings for ANY show on the ENTIRE lineup! But even if it the ratings are correct, read my post earlier in this thread as to why that happened- generally, ratings will tank when you're DELIBERATELY tanking a show. And that, my friend, ain't baseless.

As for the last line in your post.........It makes me look forward to 2009 when we can all tell the DAYS fans to "GET OVER IT" when it's cancelled due to poor ratings and NBC deliberately tanking its entire lineup. See what happens then.

A long-time, revered, highly regarded classic soap is going off the air for the 2nd time in 10 years. I don't think a Soap Opera Message Board is an appropriate forum to tell the fans of a classic SOAP OPERA(!) to just "get over" it's cancellation. You want to talk about tacky....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But what else could you tell? You have no power in bringing it back, the way networks function is not democracy, it capitalism + dictatorship. So, you're just torturing yourself without any significant reason, and you should just let go. :)

• Members

That's the reason why I got digital cable in the first place. Because SOAPnet did make me feel good. Isn't that why people watch television in the first place? TO FEEL GOOD?

I think what I find disgusting is how SOAPnet is feeding hash to audiences(ages 12-17 and mindless 18-49) that don't even want it. The ratings for primetime same-day will NOT rise because of the acquisition of these two shows.

What scares me more than anything is that if THE OC and OTH become successful, SOAPnet execs will decide that same-days make people feel good, but aren't bringing in the numbers and they will end up replacing the same-day soaps with primetime reruns ad-nauseum.

ANOTHER WORLD on SOAPnet "failed" because of the constant timeslot changes and the lack of advertising and support from the network. SOAPnet sabotaged AW.

SOAPnet adding OC and OTH at the expense of the fanbase they have already built will backfire on them BIGTIME.

I wouldn't be so upset with SOAPnet if they had added any other daytime soap, like SANTA BARBARA, CAPITOL, or THE CITY(which would have so many GH references...) but it's almost like SOAPnet is trying to redefine what "soap opera" means at the expense of real soap fans.

I hope that people vote with their dollars and viewership.

Oh and Max....what does PASSIONS have to do with SOAPnet? We have a thread once-a-week about how Jimmy Reilly screwed over AW and its fans...This is different and I feel you know it. I just believe you want to stir up another hornet's nest.

Archived