Man commits suicide over internet webcam...

KLN

• Members

We don't know that he didn't try to get help. Yes, he may have wanted attention, but I believe this was a cry for help (albeit a desperate one) on his part, but when no one took him seriously and even GOADED him, he felt he had nothing to lose at that point. I'm not saying they are responsible, but they are certainly not blameless either. And they sure as hell should feel guilty.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why should they feel guilty? They thought it was a skit. There are some sick people on the Internet. How do you know who's joking and who's not? The chat room users are not to blame. That's my opinion. I'm on their side.

• Members

I didn't say they were to blame. But even if they thought it was a 'skit', it was still wrong to make light of it, when suicide should never be treated as if it's a joke. Goading anyone to kill themself whether you're joking or not, to me, is one of the most cruel things a human being can do.

• Members

That may be true, but what did he expect? This is the Internet. People are anonymous online, so they are able to say whatever they want without reprucussions. He had to have known no one wanted to hear about that. Go talk to someone trained for that type of thing, or a family member or a friend. Total strangers have little interest and will probably be rude.

• Members

Once again, I did not say they were to blame. I said they should feel guilty for egging him on and goading him. And I think saying they were rude is an incredible understatement. The way they acted was cruel and inhumane.

• Members

Uh, no offense but you obviously know very little about the factors that play into why a person decides to commit suicide. Sure, the other chat room users might have thought he was joking but when someone says, "Just [!@#$%^&*] do it already"...that's taking the idea of suicide a little too lightly. That's just something people should never joke about.

The victim made the final decision but it's ridiculous to underestimate the actions of others in this situatio. People who are at risk of suicide are not only those with psychological disorders that make them predisposed to it but also people who are in an environment that foster suicidal thoughts. Obviously, the actions of the other chat room users acted as a "switch" to finally convince the victim that he should go ahead and kill himself.

I completely agree. That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

In some cases, some people do kill themselves for attention but for the most part, many who attempt suicide (and those who succeed) never really wanted to die in the first place. Many who suggest that they want to commit suicide are actually crying for help. Unfortunately, many aren't taken seriously or the victims never find that reason to keep living.

Yeah, whether the other chat room users thought this whole thing was a skit is pretty irrelevent. This guy wasn't just saying that he wanted to kill himself...he actually got up on a chair and had a noose ready...that should have at least gotten many of those people thinking that he might actually be serious. But then again, I suppose some may have been idiotic enough or in enough denial to still think he wasn't actually gonna go through with it. It's unfortunate that people aren't educated as a whole to understand why someone might commit suicide considering there are more suicides than there are casualties of war or motor vehicle accident deaths combined per year.

• Members

Excellent post Junkie!

Out of 50 people in the chatroom, not a single person stepped forward to try and help/talk to him. It sickens and disgusts me at how little compassion people have for their fellow man anymore. Sick bastards.

Archived