DAYS: Willow Stark

• Members

It's no secret around here at SON that I am a fan of Willow Stark and her portrayer Annie Burgstede. I feel that Willow is a great character, and a breath of fresh air in Salem. Burgstede has improved lightyears compared to her very first scenes on the show. Yet people can't stand her. I'm puzzled by this hatred for Willow. :blink: I really am.

Fans wanted new faces. They were sick of the incestuous Brady/Horton domination over Salem. It was coming to the point where our poor Will Roberts can't get invovled with any woman on the show and any woman off the show. Hogan comes on, hates the incest, what does he? He brings on Willow. Fans are pissed. They wanted a new face. They wanted someone not related to anyone onscreen, yet they're pissed.

It's very obvious that Willow is an exact copy of Nicole Walker. Who knows if Hogan intended on copying Sally Sussman Mornia's character. But what we got is Nicole Walker: version 2.0. The actresses even compare. Arianne Zuker was beyond horrible when she started DAYS. Over time, she became a fan favorite once they gave her an actual storyline. That's slowly what is happening to Willow. More and more people are warming up to her.

Some are upset because Hogan brought Willow on only to keep Shawn and Belle apart. They hate her for it, and I understand their reasons for someone interfering with their favorite couple. But Gabriella is welcomed with open arms??? :blink: I'm confused by this. Willow was compared to Jan Spears. Where's Gabby's comparison to Jan Spears? She truly is the copy of Jan Spears. She's going to become interested in Shawn and work hard to break up him and Belle. Willow, on the other hand, has an actual reason to be on the show and to be in Shawn and Belle's storyline. She is pregnant with Shawn's son. She's no longer trying to get into Shawn's bed. We are so past the overused soap opera love triangle with Shawn/Belle/Willow. This is something bigger. Willow is a part of Shawn's life for the next 18 years. Gabby, on the other hand, is nothing but the third point to the shamelessly used classic love triangle.

So lets take a step back and think who's more needed on this show: Gabby (Jan Spears) or Willow (Nicole Walker). My money's going on Willow.

What's the reason for this little rant, you may ask. It's simple. Instead of taking the time out of your life to trash Willow in every single DAYS discussion thread, think about the character and think of the potential story/drama that will unfold because of her. We're not going to see Willow drugging Shawn into bed with her. We're not going to see Willow locking Shawn in a cage to keep him from Belle. We're not going to see Willow trying to kill Belle every single day.

What we are going to say, however, is Willow, the mother of Shawn's son, using the child for security for herself. And by securing herself, she will weasel her way into the Brady/Horton family. That's what I want to see. That's what we call classic family drama. That's what more soap operas of today should be about.

So please, talk Willow! B)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whoa whoa whoa with that comparing Gabby to Jan lol. Gabby is a snoozefest. Jan kept me tuning in every single day and even got me to stop watching when she left back in 2002.

But anyway, you know that I love Willow too. At first I was really hoping that she'd turn out to be Jan (and still am a little, even though I know it won't happen). She's my favorite character right now. And Annie has improved a lot in a short amount of time. I think people need to start giving credit where it's due. I hate Hogan, but I have to say that Willow is one of the few good things that he's done :)

• Members

Alright, I went from liking to hating, and now I'm just off and off with her.

She resembles Nicole but it cannot be denied she also resembles Jan. She is like the two put together. Willow resembles Jan with the fact she has whined about losing Shawn. We have seen her have these little outbursts blaming certain people for her and Shawn not working out.

She resembles Nicole because of how she has started off and is moving along. Starts low, and if she lasts could end up high. She has gotten higher. Gone from a hooker to working with rich people, but though it is not legal business LOL.

The character has potential. And Annie Burgstede is okay but if she is here for the long term we might need a recast....

• Members

I kind of understand where you're coming from with the Jan resemblence, but then, wouldn't ever single dumped character on daytime resemble Jan Spears. That's ridiculous. And Willow blamed Hope because she was partly to blame. Hope came over to the apartment and preached to Shawn that he shouldn't be with a hooker. Who the hell is she to judge? Her mother slept with her daughter's lover. And that's another thing I wanted Billie to throw in Hope's face. But that's a different subject.

You're going to have to think of better comparisons with Jan. I'm not seeing them. I am starting to see them with Gabby however. Yes, the character's boring, but she's been on for what, 4 days? The way she looks at Shawn, you can tell she wants him and she's going to go after him.

As for the recast, why do they need to recast her? Back in '93, some fans may have said the same thing about Alison Sweeney. She wasn't a great actress at all. Over time, she became what she is today. Think of the DAYS without the gracious Alison Sweeney. DAYS gives people chances. They make their own stars. And I see that happening with Annie Burgstede.

• Members

Annie is alright and I am confident she will improve. But I am tired of actors learning how to act at Days. It has become a training center for them as others have stated. I guess I can be considered a fan of Annie, not a big one but a fan, but I am saying if she does not improve a recast is needed. If they intend to go somewhere with this character.

• Members

Alison Sweeney, Bryan Dattilo, Krista Allen, Jensen Ackles, Arianne Zuker. Take a look at any of those actors' first scenes, and you tell me they didn't learn how to act during their time on DAYS. They all improved by great miles over the years. What if DAYS just dumped them, just because fans "didn't want to see them learn how to act?"

• Members

I totally get what you are saying and yes, there probably are still people out there who can't act well but could learn. But it gets irritating that it seems they they use Days as their training course. They need money and a job I can understand totally but it has gotten to the point where it is tiresome....

• Members

It's great that they grew as actors and actresses. But the fact is, there's nothing wrong with someone NOT enjoying a bad actor. If they get better, great... I might love 'em down the road. But while they're bad? Hell no. Ask me a year from now whether or not I love Annie, after she's had the chance to grow as an actress. 'Til then, I have nothing to love her for... so I can't, and I don't.

Archived