TV Guide: NBC in Talks to Air Passions on DIRECTTV

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like I said in my last post, I WOULD be positive if I could actually continue to watch PASSIONS. Seeing as I don't have DirectTV and I don't plan on switching over to it solely for PASSIONS, that's not in the cards, erego, I have no reason to be positive.

• Members

HOLY CRAP!!

Of course the first thing I wanna talk about is AMC but I see THIS right when I log in?!!

DEAR GOD ALMIGHTY, SAVE US ALL FROM OUR SINS!!!

This is so bittersweet!

I mean, NBC, hello? Not all us HAVE DirecTV. Get it on The CW or something, with Internet downloads (Hi-Q, like AOL, but so we can actually BURN DVDs of our keepsakes unlike that crappy service.)

Dang, I haven't even read the post yet but that subject line is pretty glaring.

HOT DAMN, more "Passions!" That possibility is great!

I'm LIVID, however, that they'd ditch a SIGNIFICANT portion of the audience by putting it on a satellite provider that not everyone has. For instance, I have Dish Network. Related to that, it's bad to put it on cable or satellite of any kind!

Again CW, NBC late night/early morning (hey, somehow "Early Today" makes money -- oh, yes, there are more hours of "Today" than most of us knew!) or something EVERYONE can watch.

• Members

I haven't had DirectTv in a really loooooooooooooong time, so I don't know, but do they even have TiVo? I normally can't watch Passions or any soap when they come on, so I record it(but not the ABC soaps or even Days because they are on SoapNet, but the others I do) but last I remembered DirectTv did not have TiVo....

• Members

I could go for USA Network. Anybody can get that, theoretically. But not ANYONE can just up and change their entire lifestyle and worldview, even personal beliefs, just to switch to DirecTV! I cannot and WILL NOT do that.

NBC, thanks for the effort!

Oh, and sorry, but I have to give a big "Itoldjaso" to the naysayers who said NBC was just blowing smoke.

Honestly, I have no idea why they want to keep it on, given the low ratings. But I do love the show, and perhaps it is just the brand -- I mean, the name "Passions" is a powerful name, and with the right writer, it could be huge. And a show that has a self explantory name -- "Friends," "Wings" "Brothers and Sisters," etc etc... that should be a huge hit. It's almost like an unwritten rule. Okay, I'm rattling on now.

The point is, I'm impressed -- even though I believed in the net all along.

But still, I'm not feeling the DirecTV.

• Members

I have DirectTV and they have more channels for less money. The only catch is that you have to buy your own DVR box which is a hassle. My other cable provider just gave it to you.

But I don't see this working. I can't see how they will afford 5 days a week or even the high production costs for a soap. And PSNS doesn't deserve all this when you consider what a crap writer JER is. I'd like to see them try to launch a NEW soap, but not PSNS which is bound to fail. Then they will say it won't work ever. Just like NBC think no new soap will work after launching SuBe and PSNS which are both very experimental soaps.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mar 19 2007, 10:52 PM)
I have DirectTV and they have more channels for less money. The only catch is that you have to buy your own DVR box which is a hassle. My other cable provider just gave it to you.

But I don't see this working. I can't see how they will afford 5 days a week or even the high production costs for a soap. And PSNS doesn't deserve all this when you consider what a crap writer JER is. I'd like to see them try to launch a NEW soap, but not PSNS which is bound to fail. Then they will say it won't work ever. Just like NBC think no new soap will work after launching SuBe and PSNS which are both very experimental soaps.

Chris, I thought JER already publicly stated he wouldn't write for the spinoff or the show in its new form? So that could solve the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love the news that the show could live on, and that the net actively cares to help make that happen (color me flattered!) but I SEVERELY, SEVERELY, SEVERELY worry about how this will affect the "series finale" on NBC. Would it pack more of a punch if the show weren't to "live on?" Y'knowwhatImean? I just worry ... :unsure:

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Mar 19 2007, 11:52 PM)

If you check the Passions thread entitled "Passions Last Airdate...", you'll see what I posted earlier this month. NBC's recent survey asked whether people would like to watch Passions if it aired once a week, and/or 30 minutes and/or 1 time a week and/or in primetime. Also, it asked whether people would be willing to switch cable and/or satillite providers to watch Passions.

• Members

To my knowledge, JER has commented only once about the show continuing, and that was in an interview with TV Guide during late January. He seemed positive about the show airing on another platform and gave no indication he would stop writing for it.

Archived