All: Best and Worse Cancer Storylines?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH has totally botched Alexis' cancer. Not only is it not about her, it's about her family being destoryed and her daugther being taken from her by the evil soon to be ex-husband. It's sick.

Guza messed up badly. He had the chance to tell a real family/emotional/love story with the Lansing family at the heart of it all, and instead he went for cheap plot point crap. I hate him almost as much as AMC's MMT. He doesn't know a good thing when it bites him in the ass.

• Members

ATWT's Lucinda was very well-played by Ms Hubbard.

Contrary to everybody, I think GL's Reva was not that bad. Myself, I have a cancer and can totally understand Reva's reaction.

I have never seen a bad cancer storyline (GH's Alexis was not bad, the only problem was the shift to Sam !)

• Members

Best: Lizzie's leukemia on Guiding Light. Heartbreaking; the little girl who played Lizzie was so precocious, cute, and talented!

Worst: Lucinda's breast cancer on ATWT. It started out strong but quickly fell apart. They don't even mention the fact that she had it anymore.

• Members

Contrary to popular belief - yes they do mention Lucinda's breast cancer still. Not often but she and Luke just talked about it last week.

Here are my choices for the best:

1) Monica's breast cancer (GH) tied with Kate Rescott's cancer (Loving)

2) Lucinda's breast cancer (ATWT)

3) Lizzie's leukemia (GL)

4) Alexis's cancer because of the way that NLG has allowed herself to look sick (GH)

5) Reva's cancer (GL) - like the other poster I can understand Reva's reaction - even though I don't have cancer I have a life-altering disease and I can understand the reaction

6) Domique's Cancer (GH)

7) Felicia's cancer (B&B) - was great until the botched ending

8) Vicki's breat cancer (OLTL) - was so heartbroken and moved the day Vicki told Dorian about it

9) Bert's cancer (GL) - back in the 60's - one of the first ones for daytime, truly well done from the clips I have seen

10) Steve Kaslo's leukemia (SFT) - one of the best and one of the most heart-felt stories ever in daytime for me

• Members

EE (EastEnders) had the best cancer stories I've ever seen in a soap.First Peggy's breastcancer in the 1990s.Peggy is a very fiesty character and to be honest played by one of the worst actresses on the show (Barbara Windsor) but this story was very well done and it was Barbara's finest moment as Peggy and they didn't drop it afterwards it still gets mentioned from time to time.

Dot's cancer story a few years ago (2003-2004) was the best one I've ever seen.Dot is a very religious character and didn't want any treatment untill she realised how many people cared about her.The two hander episode with Dot and Den Watts where Dot came to realise this is one of my favourite episodes ever.

• Members

I would've loved to see all of Monica's storyline. I thought Alexis's cancer storyline was all about Jason/Sam/Ric, and not enough about Alexis herself.

Emily's breast cancer wasn't all that good either, I thought it was written poorly.

• Members

Yes.

Molly Montgomery (daughter of Travis and Barbara) contracted leukemia. They couldn’t find a bone marrow match, so Travis (married to Erica) and Barbara (married to Tom) cheated on both their spouses so they could conceive a child that would be a bone marrow match. The child was Sean.

Mona Kane had lung cancer in the early '90s. The actress, Frances Heflin, also had it in real life. While the character's cancer went into remission, Heflin sadly died from it in June 1994.

• Members

I'd say Lizzie's leukemia on GL.

Lucinda's cancer story started out well, and was excellent when it focused on her. At some point, it became a plot point to Lily's never-ending love life (Lucinda blackmailing Keith to take her to Mexico so Luke could stow away and get lost...*groan*) WHICH SUCKED.

Felicia's cancer on B&B played well, until Bell relented and changed the ending. And while I don't remember much of it, I'll never forget Bert Bauer's, which mirrored Charita Bauer's real life.

Oops...forgot worst...

Recently, Johnny's illness on ATWT. And Kim Zimmer's scenery chewing on GL. Both seemed more like plot points.

Archived