Richard Culliton

• Members
It was hit or miss. I remember Orlena falling to her death. Then afterwards Damian crying as they played Annie Lennoz's "Why".

Carly was Marland's character. I wonder how he would have wrote her.

Their time at ATWT was so bad that I dont remember their work. I totally blocked it out. :blink:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marland died in '93...legend has it he outlined the character of Carly, and because he worked so far ahead (outlines a year in advance) I believe that. But the actual writing would have fallen to the actual writer at the time.

As for blocking Stern and Black...three words...ModelPaul, Sarah and Zoe. I think I blame the horrible "Who Killed Diego?" mismash on them too. Making my Kirkadoodle a killer. Bah-humbug.

• Members

Sarah was ok. I guess it was Zoe with her that made her blah. I was one angry viewer when I read on SOW that Allison Rice Taylor was let go as Connor. Susan Batten was just horrible as Connor. Her and Mark had no chemistry. I sure would like to see Allison return as Connor. Behr completey ruined the Connor character. Thats why I never want to see Behr back on CBS daytime. :angry:

• Members

Ah, Richard Culliton, my favorite writer and favorite topic ... I've been a fan of him since his mostly good (but some boring bits) time at GH, and I think he's gotten better and better at every show that I've followed him to.

They seem to be using him more as scriptwriter for key episodes these days at ATWT, and I'm certainly happy about that, regardless of whether or not he also gets promoted later.

I think I've said it before, but just in case anyone missed my going on and on about him, I think he is one of the best headwriters for mostly character-driven story in daytime, with some grounding in real issues and real perspectives, but, crucially, not in a boring way, because he also interjects humor, suspense, and plot twists, and is willing to retcon a character's history if it serves a clear dramatic purpose. And, I love that he writes multigenerational umbrella stories rather than isolating characters in their own little islands, and rather than ignoring vets.

If you are interested in a pretty diverse range of samples of his work (not screened to only choose the best scenes -- and from various shows ... but, still very incomplete -- there are lots more videos to add), check out my Culliton YouTube playlist that I've compiled, mentioned in my sig. Here's the direct link for people who can't see my sig: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1D34A14E103B2F0B

He introduced Trey, yes, but not Gabriel. And yes, he brought back Kendall. His work aired on AMC from early September 2001 to early December 2002.

• Members

Aww ... Not even Holden telling Emma about Luke being gay and the second day of Luke's coming out to Kevin, which was one of the WGA-nominated scripts?

Or the day that Tom was in hospital and Bob and Lisa were there as characters in their own right interacting with each other as well as with Margo, then Casey and Adam showed up and there was the family hug?

• Members

I liked what I caught of Culliton's first few months at AMC too, mainly because of Frankie. But, I think he really hit his stride later, after Vanessa was revealed as Proteus (but not solely because of that). I was addicted in 2002.

I liked Trey from very early, because he wasn't a typical soap hunk. I liked Simone early too, because of her needy relationship with her father, Zeke, and also because of the Roger-Simone story. I didn't care much for Aidan though.

Much of the dropping of characters and story threads happened after Culliton was fired. Tim's the only one I agree with you faded away into the woodwork under Culliton's watch. Roger didn't vanish, he had a significant death as part of the Proteus story. David and Anna definitely weren't all about Leo and Greenlee -- I remember fondly first their initial coyness about whether they loved each other, then their defending the other in being able to keep their jobs (doctor, chief of police), then their conversations and actions around wanting a house, a baby, ... and a willow tree. Additionally, most characters had stories about their jobs too, including David and Anna.

I agree with you to an extent that there was a loss of steam near the end. However, I was still enjoying the show, and there were still great scenes like Kendall and Trey bonding, and a warm hodgepodge family Thanksgiving at a widowed Greenlee's, and Liza accidentally pushing Mia off the 2nd floor.

• Members

I disliked Culliton as AMC's head writer from 9/2001 - 12/2002 as many people already know. Most of his work during that stint was mostly MISS instead of HIT for me. I didn't really like his vision. But I will say that the first thirteen weeks were enjoyable for me because he was undoubtedly about six steps up from his predecessor Jean Passanante, but then I found his stuff had started becoming forced and contrived. The Trey storyline was definitely a contrivance and I had to work hard to figure out exactly when all of this stuff was supposed to have happened within the revised/rewritten back stories that have already aired. Some how Trey was supposed to have come before Kendall and Leo, but after David. Vanessa was an actress at the time of becoming pregnant with Trey, but she was a drug lord by the time David was 12 years old because his father was the head cheese before she taunted him into suicide. Was Vanessa still an actress while David was a kid? Was she not? There were just too many holes in that story just so Culliton could make everyone on the canvas related to Vanessa and Leo and I was not enjoying it. It was not organic.

He also dropped the ball on the Revlon storyline. All the characters did was name drop, but there was no actual storyline... and then after the thirteen week product placement license was up, the company was nameless for months, and then became Giovanna Cosmetics without so much as an explanation.

I also did not like the gutless afterthought he did with the Bianca/Frankie story. He wrote absolutely NO official proclamation that these two were together (Frankie had sex with JR for goodness sake!) until AFTER she was murdered. And then everyone and their mama were talking about Bianca and Frankie as if they had this deep romantic relationship.

I just got tired of watching his crap pique my interest, and then pretty much disappoint as they fizzled out with a whimper.

• Members

Richard's time on AMC was pitiful. Did he do the Libidizone storyline or was that someone else? (God I hated that storyline). And what about stupid Laura getting Gillian's heart? I didn't follow AMC religiously then except for Gillian, Ryan, Leo, and Greenlee. That was all I care about.

But I did like some of his Port Charles stuff.

• Members

All Passanante.

Richard Culliton was also an associate writer on AMC in the early '90s. I think I heard somewhere that Wild Wind was his idea. As for his HW stint on AMC, as I said in another thread, I think his strong point was writing the characters. He wrote them how they were meant to be written. I don't remember many "pod" versions back then - if there were, it definitely wasn't as bad as now. Some of the actual stories were weak and/or forgettable, but I remember liking the characters a lot more.

• Members

He was character driven for the most part. I totally agree with your post! That's why I saw such good in Culliton.... sure his stories sometimes were meh but he seemed to get the characters he wrote for. It felt like AMC. Certainly alot more than it has the better part of the last 3 and a half years.

I never had heard the Wildwind part. That's cool.

And it is still hanging on as a part of AMC to this day.

Archived