What part of "Katrina was the worst natural disaster

FanSoAp07

• Members

Ok, let me start off by saying that Hurricane Katrina has had such a huge impact on my life that I can not even explain it to you. August 29, 2005 has forever changed my life--some for the better & some for the worst. New Orleans, Louisiana was absolutely devastated. A category 4 hurricane hit a major U.S. city and President Bush mentioned not a SINGLE word about gulf coast recovery in his State of the Union Address. Not one. But ohhhh we can devote tons of $$ to a country that he is NOT even president of.

I love how when the tsunami hit Asia those 2 Christmases ago we were there in less than 3 days.

But when a catastrophic hurricane struck American land it took them well over a week to send any aid.

How would you like if your city was treated as a 3rd world nation?

When is he going to realize that without New Orleans this country loses a lot. N.O. is one of the biggest ports in this country. New Orleans ports holds some of the biggest oil preserves in this nation. Without us, without proper protection, you lose all that. N.O. was ravashed and we need help.

Someone needs to pay. The majority of the damage was NOT from the hurricane. The majority of damage was from the LEVEE BREAKS...which is constricted by the ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS. The government needs to PAY US BACK FOR THEIR DAMAGE. I love my city and would not want to live anywhere else, but damnit, give us some respect and help this region for crying out loud!!!! Please, I am begging you!

I don't care if yall think KAtrina is old news because for me it is still VERY REAL. It all feels like it happened yesterday...just like I'm sure 9-11 victims feel like it happened yesterday.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FanSoap, let me say that it was Katrina that caused me to become disgusted with Bush. I never LIKED him, but I used to not really hate him either. But after New Orleans was all but destroyed and he just sat in the Oval Office twiddling his thumbs, I began to see what a bad president he was.

Tell me what New Orleans is like these days, because I think most Americans just assume it's already been cleaned up (I know I did until I read that the GL cast was going down there.)

• Members

Not taking anything away from New Orleans but it is almost the whole gulf coast that has not been cleaned up yet. There is a long way to go.

I was just in Biloxi a month a half ago, and it is amazing how much has been done but even more amazing is how much they still like. There are still whole roads completely out. Whole bridges that can't be accessed. Houses and churches are still in ruins. It is awful. Just makes you want to cry when you see it.

I know that New Orleans is the more popular city and I have not been there to see what happened. Based on the news reports I jsut assumed the worse of the damage was in New Orleans - and who knows maybe it was. But I can't imagine anything being worse than Biloxi. There is no much of that city that was not wiped out or almost wiped out. I saw the documentary that the Biloxi TV station did right after the Hurricane and while I was there I traveled the same roads they did - and let me tell you it is not much different a year later.

• Members

The whole week of and following Katrina were just so hectic for me. We left town (I don't live in NO, but about 80 miles to the southwest of it) on the Sunday afternoon and went to relatives in Lafayette. We stayed there throughout the night and didn't leave until Monday afternoon. It was just so...I don't know. It's like, I knew what was happening, yet I didn't want to think about it. My relatives have SOAPnet, so while all of this hell and devastation and tragedy is occuring in New Orleans, I'm in Lafayette watching "Ryan's Hope" and "Knots Landing."

When we got back, half of our town was without power, the other half had it coming in and out. Me and my parents spent the night in our house on Monday (we didn't have any power), but then I slept at an uncle's apartment the next night because he had power. Power was resotred to most of the city by Wednesday, but some of the outskirt places were still in the dark.

It was just weird. Plain weird. The sugarcane wasn't standing straight up anymore. ALL. OF. IT. was bent in half. Stop signs, streetlights, traffic lights...all over the ground.

And the thing is, it's a year and a half later, and it is STILL like that in many parts of New Orleans. Last time I went there was in October and it was just depressing, especially in the daylight where you can see every bit of it. It's just a mess and I think it's quite fucked up that the President doesn't care.

• Members

THANK YOU Steve!!!!!!!

I live in Gulfport which right next door to Biloxi on the coast, and while it's better here in some ways; there's still A LOT that needs to be done......I'm not even going to comment on Bush, because I could fill up a few pages with the pent up anger I have towards him......I just wish that the Mississippi Gulf Coast would get as much coverage as New Orleans has, yes New Orleans flooded; but a lot of the MS Gulf Coast took the brunt of the hit from the winds and such from Hurricane Katrina .......

• Members

Why aren't you as hard on the Democratic Mayor of New Orleans and the Democratic Govenor of LA?

They have done nothing .....NOTHING to fix what is going on down there.

The federal Government can not hold ALL of the blame, the states and its elected officials need to step up as well.

Geez, be fair...the whole Governmental process failed the Gulf Coast NOT just a repuiblican. Time to stop the hate and place blame where it belongs..on EVERYONE!

• Members

What I don't understand is that Ray Nagin got re-elected and he's just as narrow-minded and incompetent as Bush is. I would think after all his stupid comments and doing nothing to help his people during this crisis, he wouldn't serve another term. Boy, was I wrong!!!

But yeah, Bush really needs to start thinking about the social problems in America, and I don't mean gay marriage.

• Members

ICA with that. How that man got re-elected is beyond me. I would like to know when the Governor, Blanco, is up for re-election. She needs to be gone as well.

But......this has been a mega hosejob from Nagin all the way up to Bush. No one's hands are clean after this.

No ones. :angry:

Archived