What does the destruction of daytime mean for Emmy?

• Members

The tables this year have turned quite a bit.

Days of Our Lives, which was arguably the worst soap on the air for the last several years, is now being called the best by industry insiders.

Meanwhile, Emmy darlings ATWT/AMC seem to be in dire straits -- AMC moreso than ATWT -- but dire straits nonetheless. However, as opposed to previous years, the actors and actresses seem to be as upset and disgruntled as viewers. Would they be willing to vote for their own shows when they consider them to be less than savory?

Then there's Y&R, which is getting mixed reactions. Some insiders think that changes in the writing have revived the show, while others think that the show is quickly losing its identity... actors included.

Those three shows (ATWT/AMC/Y&R) have been Emmy darlings over the last five years, and now all of them are on very shaky ground -- creatively and otherwise. Is it possible that backstage dissatisfaction will lead some of the cast and crew to vote differently than they normally would when it comes to this year's Emmy Awards?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Industry insiders are praising DAYS? Where? Who??

Anyway, I don't think things will be any different than they were... maybe instead of AMC it will be OLTL or GH and instead of ATWT/YR it will be GL... but DAYS won't get anything like the usual..

• Members

The soap mags have returned to the Days bandwaggon. Hogan S. is doing Herculian efforts.

As for the Emmy's, it's no longer even about the daytime soaps. Every year, the acceptance speeches get cut short and a host of celebrities parade through the ceremony. PSSNS' cancellation probably makes them deem the treatment worthy.

As for the voting, it's time for the politics to stop. They can't keep honoring GH simply because they pull a ratings stunt every sweeps. Quality shows all year round should get the nod and statue.

• Members

Well, for starters, the hiring of Hogan Sheffer as HW shifted all eyes to Days. Every soap would've killed to have him, and the fact that Days got him immediately garnered the show lots of attention.

Since he's began, he's received nothing but generous accolades from everywhere -- the actors, the fans, soap media, TV Guide, television critics, etc. The list goes on.

• Members

How does the Emmy voting work? I thought once the four nominees were established, everyone on the jury who got to vote on the award based on viewing the two episodes submitted by the show, couldn't be from one of the shows that wasn't nominated.

So when do people vote for their own shows -- during nominations?

• Members

Days getting tons of Emmy wins and nominations is almost numerically impossible. With block voting, CBS and ABC have the advantage. With NBC soon becoming a one soap network, this only means the selection for the Daytime Emmy's will be an even more unfair process. Seriously, NBC really screwed itself up in this manner.

• Members

But with disgruntled actors, etc. on ABC and CBS shows, will the majority of them even go along with the block voting? They might be too angry with their own shows to cast votes for people in their own 'block.'

• Members

If Kristiann Alfonso (scenes: Zach's death) and Kassie Depaiva (scenes: Todd's execution) are not nominated for Lead Actress, then there is no justice (but we already know there isn't, so I'm not expecting anything). KA turned in amazing borderline-ham performances without going overboard, and KDP had to do subtle, complex work mourning for a man she hated. Both deserve a nomination.

I predict that DAYS will get nods for Writing (based on Hogan's rep. alone), Lead Actress (KA), and Younger (MM%2

• Members

If Kristiann Alfonso (scenes: Zach's death) and Kassie Depaiva (scenes: Todd's execution) are not nominated for Lead Actress, then there is no justice (but we already know there isn't, so I'm not expecting anything). KA turned in amazing borderline-ham performances without going overboard, and KDP had to do subtle, complex work mourning for a man she hated. Both deserve a nomination.

I predict that DAYS will get nods for Writing (based on Hogan's rep. alone), Lead Actress (KA), and Younger (MM), possibly Series or Directing. Certainly none of the men.

• Members

You know what kinda bugs me with Days and the Emmy's? The fact that Suzanne Rogers is the only one in the cast with a freaking Emmy, yet they don't give her a damn storyline. Her purpose on the show is just to prop mainly Abby and Nick. There's no reason why Dee Hall is always front and center, yet Suzanne who is in the same age-group, is back burned.

Anyway, despite some resentment from ABC and CBS actors, I highly doubt they'd bite the hand that fed them.

Archived