Where will JER go next?

• Members

I never said what assumptions I made about lesbians. That was the hardest of all to figure out.

Sorry, Kenny, but the Precious thing is true. Obviously, A LOT of "Passions" was thrown out there for shock value, as you said, but as you have also said in the past, there is a method to JER's madness. It was that way at "Days" and, though it was MUCH different on "Passions," for better or ill, I believe that method was still there.

FYI: This was right when Precious started airing, so he wasn't backpedaling. He said he was tinkering around with the idea and wondered whether it would work, whether people would go for it, or if it was going too far. At any rate, he said, Precious had an underlying meaning.

I didn't make this stuff up!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, you're JER.

I swear, I just KNOW you are.

ARe you, really?

I mean, come on, maybe I'm obsessed, but I've noticed how he's copied (not infringed but copied) ideas and hints from classic sitcoms and cartoons and even other soap operas. Your line of thinking is SO James E. Reilly -- if I know him as well as I think I do.

Edit: For those wondering why Rion hasn't been banned yet (there was a discussion about this in either this or another thread), that's probably why! Errol or another mod probably realized he's JER and you can't ban a soap scribe!

• Members

I LOVED Precious and the Wallaces.

I still LMAO thinking about how Passions submitted her for an emmy nod or tried to. Strangly, she deserved it IMO. Hell, she deserved it more then Natalia Livingston. :lol:

I do think bellcurve is right in a way. The point is Passions was a parody mixed with classic soap fair. That is what made it unique. It was trying to be modern for it's core audience, which was skewed young. It was when Passions went way too traditional that it began to lose itself. 2004-mid 2005 was great story-wise but it seems like JER wanted to bring the show back to shock and awe story-telling after making it about traditional story and the characters from 2004-early 2005 so he did the disaster story and everything after that was "how I can shock the audience into watching." The problem was it was all about the shock and not the story. He had been overdoing the rape, controversial stories, etc. The show lost what made it great. Look back at clips from 1999-2001 and see how entertaining that was. Then, watch clips from 2002-2003 and see how things were not as good but still ok to watch. After that, watch clips of 2004-mid 2005 and see how much it started to be traditional. The supernatural was almost completely gone. There was still wacky elements but the pace was better and we were getting payoffs. There was actually some character-driven stuff going on. If you see clips from mid-2005-present, you can see how the show went way too much for controversy and was really struggling with it's identity.

It was trying to stir controversy but also was trying to bring back the supernatural only the show just was all over the place and stories just kept going and so on. It became a mess. As much as I loved the traditional story-telling the show was using in 2004-mid 2005, I wish they hadn't did it in a way because they got so far away from what the show was that it never fully regained the identity that made the show what it was early on.

• Members

I CARE! Because not everyone watches TV, eats Cheetos, and giggles. Sometimes, people like to do those things and think about and analyze what they are watching, to see where certain things may have been borrowed, to understand what is on the screen instead of "Huh huh, that was funny. I'm gone git me anuthr brrrr." Shame you're a very passive television viewer.

But why not interpret these things when watching a TV show, even PASSIONS? I mean, if you think about it, it almost makes sense.

Yeah, the show casted the role of a nurse with an orangutan, but certainly fans can speculate as to why that was done?

I remember reading a theory on another board once(like about a year after PASSIONS launched) that perhaps Tabitha's bad treatment of Timmy at the beginning of PASSIONS(putting Timmy in a washer and dryer, threatening to sic Fluffy on him, etc.) was somehow linked to Reilly's childhood. Who knows if that's true, but it would certainly explain a lot.

People do this all the time in lit studies. Why can't we analyze a TV show like this?! Reilly is a twisted mother [!@#$%^&*] er and quite frankly, an interesting study. Why was he golden in his first stint at DAYS? Did Ken Corday control what he could/could not write? If Reilly were allowed to have full control of DAYS in his first stint the way he does PASSIONS, would NBC Daytime have went extinct long before 2009?

I've always thought Reilly was very homophobic. Most of his gay characters are either stereotypical cartoons(Charlie) or barely even featured(Simone). That's what I've interpreted from most of his stuff dealing with gays. He thinks they are all caricatures and laughingstocks.

I never said Reilly was the Creme De La Creme of Daytime TV, with all sorts of hidden allusions, messages, etc. in his stuff. But, as someone who studies television and studies English as a major, I don't see why Reilly's work can't be dissected. Even if most of his work on PASSIONS is utter crap.

I think Reilly writes with a lot of personal bias when it comes to his characters.

• Members

Thank you, bellcurve!

Okay, I DON'T agree that most of "Passions" is "utter crap," lol, but I do agree -- and we were TAUGHT IN COLLEGE that it's great -- to dissect every TV show.

Kenny, a lot of people think "South Park" is just about vulgar kids who talk smack. I used to think so too. But as many of us now know there are underlying messages in each show, and that each episode stands by itself as a platform for social commentary, so too are other shows -- even "Passions."

I'd love to see JER interviewed about this stuff. Frankly, after all the NBC Daytime hell, he probably won't be hired again, lol, so he has nothing to lose. Tell ALL your secrets, Reilly. I'd LOVE to read about it!

• Members

Just because he enjoyed Precious he's JER? I loved Precious and didn't care what her story was. I found her to be very entertaining and for a while, her and Mrs. Wallace were the highlight of the show!! I miss those '04 days :(.

That being said, if RionPassions is JER, I LOVE YOU!!! lol

• Members

No psycho fan, it's just that Rion thinks exactly like JER!!!!! He's wished suffering on Days, he enjoys every single story JER pulls out of his pocket even if it's another stall in the storyline!

He thinks AW was horrible, he says he really wouldn't care that much if JER left all the stories hanging because it will get back at the fans for being un grateful for his stories, and he thinks it's fans duty to turn into watch no matter what JER does.

• Members

Either one would not surprise me in the least.

I'd say more but it might be considered bashing by a certain mod here (ahem), and I just came off a three day posting suspension, so I really don't need that. Meanwhile, Rion continues his rants, tirades, and such untouched...:rolleyes:

Archived