2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The baseball set alone proved Conboy was out of touch.

>> Was David responsible for the red background opening with saxaphone playing?

Ah, yes, the "Red Shoe Diaries" opening. The one that reinforced every single stereotype all the "non-believers" held against soaps.

I think he was responsible, Toups, but I wouldn't quote me on it.

I still say, for all the backstage drama (reportedly over such an insignificant character as Sean Bridges), Edward Scott and Kay Alden's Y&R was a consistent, and consistently entertaining, hour of daily television. Not as good as anything Bill Bell could've come up with, but, what is?

• Members

LOL you beat me to the punch. yep Scott was the one responsible for the red background opening. He's also responsible for the credits we see at the beginning and used to see at the end of the show such as "Created by William J. Bell and Lee Phillip Bell".

I remember the music from that opening...... :rolleyes:

• Members

As I said before, Scott kinda burnt out as EP after Bell left the day to day duties of the show. David's style was more contemporary, but Y&R was still Y&R. The show also seemed to flow a lot better from scene to scene, which deteriorated once Smith was sole EP and of course the disaster that is Latham/Hammer/Griffith.

David was also the EP of Y&R's greatest event this decade - the MARVELOUS 2003 Gala, which won Y&R its first Outstanding Drama Series Emmy since 1993 and its first in the post-Bell era (though Bell was still credited as Senior EP).

Y&R severly plummetted in terms of quality, production, and of course writing once David left in 2004. I still consider 2004 Y&R's last great year, because things definetely haven't been the same since.

Y&R seemed more updated, vibrant, and energenic during David's run from 2001-2004. We'll never have that Y&R back, will we? The show might still have the same name, but it sure as hell isn't Y&R.

• Members

I thought the red opening was a fabulous update on the traditional opening. The only problem is that they changed the theme. Had they not done that I don't think people would complain so much. I thought the names were a nice touch as well. The current opening is boring as hell so I can't praise David for that.

• Administrator

Dude, that's because nobody cares about AMC. Just kiddin. LOL ;)

AMC's been pretty quiet. I haven't heard anything. I speculated that when B&E became HWs that there wouldn't be a lot of changes because Julie Carrathurs is great to work for and because the AMC writers are pretty tight with each other. I don't see JHC firing any of the associate head writers. I'd be shocked if she fired any of them.

• Members

OK, I just read that Kay Alden and Ed Scott didn't get along very well, and were at odds over that whole Sean Bridges debacle and CBS sided with Alden and made Sony decide not to renew Scott's contract as EP in 2001 (assumption). Alden was also very positive and upbeat over Shaughnessy's promotion to EP status as well. It really makes you wonder just how chaotic things were at Y&R, after Bell left the day to day duties...

Here are some exerts below:

So I take it that Kay Alden won't be following Ed Scott to Days anytime soon. :lol:

Archived