Racism In America

Danni

• Members

I agree, but yet dissent.

I always wanted to be treated on equal par with my peers; no better or worse. The "racism" card is invoked far too often that it has become a redundant cliche, but its overuse does not dispel that racism is still not an institutionalized against many people of color.

I certainly am not looking for any handouts. I will succeed and fail on my own merits, but I just want a fair playing fair. That is not always accessible which is concern that extends to many minorities who compromise more than just race but gender and other nationalities.

There is currently only ONE black senator in the states and in its 217 year history, finally, a female speaker. Those numbers are a staggeringly sad reflection.

Kanye did tell the truth and no time was better than the present. Actions speak louder than the excessive words of praise Bush lavished on an inept FEMA director. It's stunning how media crews could descend on N.O. but it took deadly days and weeks for the rescue mission to officially commence. Also a matter of contention is how U.S. forces can expedite their forces to be in ravaged tsunami areas in hours but fumble in similar attempts on their own shores.

Bush demonstrated a complete lapse in judgement with his non respnsiveness. He, Nagin, Blanco and the like should all be ashamed. The requests were sent in for help and ignored.

Anyway...

I like white people. I don't think they're all evil at all. Some of my best friends are white. It's irresponsible to think that every person of your race is a friend and other pigmentations are necesaarily the enemy.

Hillary Clinton is my liberal role model!

LOL.

I have a grudging respect for her as an accomplished woman of color, but I don't care much for her. I read her Essence interview in which she made an over-reaching comparison between Iraq and slavery. The implcations were so insulting i.e. a disapproval of the war meant you were in favor of slavery. What an idiot.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's actually not. Racism is a million times more complicated than what you think it is. Most sociologists define racism as racial prejudice + power. I suggest reading Why Do All the Black Kids Sit Together in the Cafeteria. It provides a more detailed definition.

• Members

Danni, only white people can be racist? Look up the definition before you speak! :o

Racism is racism, I don't care what MOST sociologists say. So if a mexican hates all white people they arent racist, but simply prejudice. Hatred is hatred, period!

• Members

Bush doesn't like poor people and I'll believe that till the day I die, I'm on the gulf coast in Mississippi and my Mom and I foolishly stayed here during Katrina.......It took a few days for help to arrive here also, so it wasn't just N.O that he left in need, all though N.O. was in worse shape; Bush left the entire gulf coast in limbo for longer than he should have......

White people are not the only people who can be racist, any person of any nationality or color can be racist.....

• Members
Oh, it's very possible for racists to talk and associate with POC. They just replace the "I hate" with "Why is it that [insert negative stereotype]?" and then will always have something snide to say when the stereotype's refuted. And they'll do it with a smile on their face to appear that they're not racist. Believe me, I've been insulted based on my race without ever hearing a slur. It's comments like, "You talk so well for a black person", "What handout did you get to come to this school?", etc. that are racist.

It's negative because that's the reality of the situation. History of racial dynamics and racial issues is not a peachy subject, and it's certainly not something to take lightly or dismiss. Unfortunately, that history is not something that a lot of white people want to hear or even acknowledge. It hurts for white people to be aware of their own privilege, but I'm not here to hold their hands through the struggle for racial equality.

The difference is what can a Mexican do to show their racial superiority over white people? Nothing.

• Members

Oh, I don't think Bush or the majority of Repulicans in office care about blacks AND other minorities, especially "the working poor" or those in poverty. It's been like that for ages.

But what irritates me is that many won't stand up and try to change things themselves, they want somebody else to do it for them simply because they're a different color or ethnicity. I think it's bullcrap. They're not using their color to advance themselves, they're treating it like a disability almost!

It also doesn't help when a huge percentage of blacks in the entertainment industry (rappers I'm looking at you) perpetuate the stereotype of blacks as aimless, violent thugs. They help to bring the race backwards more than anyone else ever could.

• Members
It's not just a matter of changing themselves. That's one element, but that's only the surface. It's a matter of changing a system that doesn't want to be changed. Would white people want to give up their own white privilege for the sake of equality? Not likely. Why? Because there's no incentive for them to do so. They benefit from their privilege too much to want to let it go.

You do also have to think about who's behind the image: The record labels, Clear Channel, and Viacom (the proud owner of VH1, MTV, and BET). Let me state that I'm not taking the blame from the artists because I think they know very well that they're shucking and jiving for the almight dollar, but we also have to take into consideration that the big three determine what gets out there and what doesn't. It's the whole Bamboozled effect.

• Members

Regardless of whether or not you want to believe it, it's the truth. Racism isn't racism without power to oppress. I suggest you take a deeper look at racism than how Webster's Dictionary defines it. There are so many resources out there about it, I suggest you take the time to look then come back to me with a valid response.

• Members

Danni, I forgot to add I voted for Ford who is black and would have been the first black Senator from the state of Tennesseee if he would have prevailed. If I were racist towards black people I wouldnt have voted for a black guy to represent my state.

As for a valid response that only white people can be racist, there isn't one because you have obviously made up your mind no matter what anyone says or does.

• Members

:huh: Oh really? Cuz last time I checked, my college (once a predominantly white college in its earlier years) is now chocked full of blacks!! For every white kid on the street, there's about 7 blacks behind 'em.

:huh: Again....not seeing this. Predominantly black schools are everywhere around here. I think I might even send them a card that says "F* YOU, YA PREDOMINANTLY BLACK SCHOOL! I'M WHITE AND I HATE YOU!".....ya know, because I'm racist and all.....along with the other 2 billion non-blacks in the world :rollseyes:

Oh really....? And what's that "institution"?? I was never aware of this :huh:

• Members

Oh what a cop-out!! Most black superstars OWN their own record labels!! And yet, they somehow manage to project the image that all blacks are is a bunch of hoodlums running around with chains on their neck, rapping, shooting folks while the black girls just shake their butt and flaunt their cleavage.

:rolleyes:

As for racism, you said in an earlier post that us non-blacks would never be fully able to understand racism, but yet I gather from some of your other posts that we invented it and we're the only reason racism is still around? :blink: I'm sorry, but if I founded something, I'd dang sure want to fully understand it.

• Members
Actually no. That makes you a person who is trying extremely hard to show how un-racist you are, which probably leads me to believe that you have some racism that you've yet to address. Oooh, you voted for Ford. That makes you the beacon of the anti-racism movement. GMAB.

Naturally, because I actually have taken the time to study black history in America as opposed to taking your definition of racism from a dictionary.

Please tell me you're joking. I mean really. If you think that somehow there are more black people in colleges than white, you are mistaken.

Oh, you better believe that there's a huge disparity. Compare the textbooks, facilities, and overall education levels of your school and compare it to that of a rich white school. The gap is glaring.

It's called the US government.

Archived