Dixie Chicks Movie Trailer that NBC refused to air

Ryan

• Members

:rolleyes: That is just ridiculous. I hate that whole "freedom of speech, as long as its popular opinion" sh*t. Its like no one can say anything against him without having their life threaten and its ridiculous. And all those who had something to say against them should be ashamed because they are doing nothing more than making fools of themselves.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no problem with the backlash, no problem agreeing with you also that if you're going to say something and some people don't agree with it, then it's their right to stop buying your product and also answer back. Personally I find that close minded and don't care what a person's beliefs are if I like their music, but that's just me.

But death threats and bringing kids to events where they crushed their CD's and acted in a violent manner, that's pathetic and sad.

They did sell less, but they also got new fans and they said they're happy about that.

• Members

Ronald Reagan's administration put an end to the equal time rule that used to exist. You're too young to remember that but it ALMOST guranteed an impartial media. How would YOU feel if everything was liberal? (and don't say it it because it is not.) One sided media is what fascist states are famous for. Is that what you want? Facism?

Aside from that, TheDixie Chicks have had their lives threatened. That is breaking the law and if any media personalities our outlets have encouraraged the threats, they have broken the law too.

War time president free pass? Why? He barely admits to it even being a war except in the most nebulous way (against terrorism which we now know had NO base in Iraq until he sent our boys there) Does the American Constitution only apply to people who agree with the war time president? Why not just institute martial law now?

Here's an idea. I am the President. I don't LIKE the Constitution. It is inconvenient for me and my corporate interests. Why don't I manufacture a war so that people will say things like "It's wrong to critisize a president during wartime" Hey, me and my rich buddies will get some oil and a few rebuilding contracts!

Meanwhile the poor soldiers pay with their lives. Been there, done that, in VietNam.

• Members

Well, I know about the impartial media "fairness" rule. I studied all about that stuff in college. So I may be too young but I know about it. And no, I disagree with the death threats. All I meant was that the "Dixie Chicks" seem foolish to attrat all this attention (and yes, they're egging it on) when they KNEW the backlash would happen. There's no way they couldn't. It was a foolish business decision that ANYONE could see from a mile away. Heck, it may even be a conspiracy in itself to get them out of country music and set their sights on 'higher' ambitions. These girls always wanted "Wide Open Spaces;" they probably want more exposure and such. Again, not saying they deserved any threats or violence, they didn't, but they knew what would happen. That's just how it goes.

• Members

JSF- have you seen the Documentary? Because watching it, and their immediate reaction after it happened, you know this was not a "planned" thing. That's obviously how it was spinned, but you can tell that it was just a total off the cuff remark. Natalie, before she got incredibly defensive, was completely suprised that anyone had interpreted as anything but a throw away thing. The backlash didn't happen until weeks after the comment had been made. To me, that shows that the media was obviously reaching for something. But you're right, it was incredibly stupid buisness-wise, but the Doc. shows that and how the girls come to realize the unfortunate

consequences of what happened.

• Members

Well, I can't say what the chicks were feeling. Maybe they really were that clueless or maybe they're just good actors. All I know is, most country fans who followed this story will recall that the MORNING the news got back to America (which may have been the day after it happened, I can't remember, it was close though), the country DJs all over America started out with the, "OMG, you will NOT believe what Natalie Maines did at a concert across the pond." I remember listening to that and hearing that on the radio. You flipped through the country stations and all of them expressed utter shock; they didn't cuss about it but you could tell, just from the seriousness of their tone that she crossed a line, whether or not most or some would agree. Again, I don't know what the Chicks' deal is, but with all the patriotism that came out of country music after 9-11, my gosh, it should have been obvious that nothing about the war would be taken lightly. Especially if it was against the war or the president, lol. It just boggles the mind.

• Members

I do not support them, or like their music. Not a country fan here.

It was stupid to say stuff such as this. You are an entertainer..entertain...get off your soap box unless you plan on running for office and plan to do something other than make your money off music.

Now, with that said. I disagreed with her, but that is where it ended. I think people took it WAY too far.

It is the right of a station to NOT carry the music. The death threats are insane, burning CDS stupid.

Just don't buy their music if you disagree.

I hate when one person's immaturity causes others to act more immature.

Archived