AMC: Megan Mctavish's E-mail Doesn't Work/Is She Gone?/Sweeps (Merged Threads)

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YAY! (I was wondering when the affiliates would start demanding strength for their lead-ins to the afternoon talk shows.)

Actors first. *heavy sigh* That figures! After spending years demanding the heads of McTavish and Frons; pointing out the horrible problems across ABCD soaps; they slash the actors first. They never believe the viewers. C'mon, ABC, we aren't all crazy shippers! (At least not most of the time. Heh)

I assume the affiliates are the focus of the attention in regards to spending any uncommitted cash on promotion. They're probably demanding it, even.

Still. ABCD is suffering from colleague protection syndrome. The firing plan starts with employees furthest away. People the execs never see in the hallway - the actors. Doesn't matter that they are the least culpable. They're expensive. Buh-bye. Then they move to the writers. Outside of Frons' micromanagement of stories, definitely very culpable. They most assuredly should be fired -- BUT why are all three of your soaps doing poorly simultaneously? Brian Frons - that colleague they see in the hall every damn day! He should be the FIRST to go!

• Members

Thanks for the update Errol. It sounds pretty serious if the affiliates are involved. They are the ones who actually own the local stations right? It shows a lack of real leadership if they have to push for change over Frons. He should have taken action a long time ago. And it is such a shame that I have to root for poor ratings in Nov. so there can finally be change.

It is just so sad that Frons let the ABC soaps get to this point. And the ones that will suffer will be the vets like Julia Barr. I think Frons should be one of the first ones fired along with all the writers instead of the actors. And I will just continue watching Y&R in the meantime.

• Members

The plot thickens. Thanks Errol for the update. Glad to know that the affiliates are getting involved, because they mean business. Without them any network dies, and ABC Daytime (especially AMC and OLTL) is close to show business death. Both shows are horrible in my opinion, and I have not watched OLTL in months and am considering giving up AMC. The bad outways the good on these shows, and while I like one or two stories on AMC, its not enough to keep me watching all of the other crap. With that said I hope Mctavish's rein of terror is soon over before she completely ruins AMC to the point of no return.

• Members

Do AMC or OL have any shot at a good sweeps? That is the saddest part here. OL's continuing the status quo of destruction. More new characters announced, more pimping and nothing to suggest there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Members

It's not in the bag. GF's return should give a spike to ratings, but the bigger question is if they did really capitalize on it. They have not used previous returns (Finola Hughes, Emma Samms, Tristan Rogers) very well at all -- and Frons' comments about GF ('no one wants to see a middle aged woman in a love story') doesn't bode well . OLTL's execution of Todd should have had a huge ratings increase in the bag, but they squandered potentially terrific storylines (the search for Todd's son, Todd's and Blair's revenge on Spencer, the impact of a sane Margaret on the canvas) all in the name of saving Spencer Truman. Ratings fell .4 points as soon as it became evident that wasn't the tale they were telling.

Many lapsed ABC viewers are angry at the network, not just 'lost interest', and have found other things or other soaps to occupy their time and energy. It's gonna take a lot of wooing to get them back if it can be done at all, not something I see current TPTB willing to do on ANY ABC soap.

Ironically, fans are leaving because of departures (OLTL DG, TW, HT, probably HBS, TDS and CH will be completely gone as well, AMC: VI) -- yet the solution to falling ratings is going to be to cut more, and we know who will be first on the chopping block.

• Members

There is so much truth in that statement. It's one thing to be apathetic and lose interest, it's another thing to be angry. OLTL seems to be going out of their way to piss off viewers. It's going to take a lot to make up for that, if they can. Seems like they have two choices: (1) find that elusive audience they believe is out there (which so far remains unfound per the ratings) or (2) make nice with the audience who has stuck with the show through thick and thin. They appear to have rejected (2).

• Members

Thanks for the update Errol. Its reassuring to know there are changes coming.

Cutting loose veteran actors is only going to hurt the ratings though. Frons should be the first to go naturally.

I fear for who they actually may cut. I mean who is safe anymore?

• Members

So what are good enough numbers to get Frons out of the hot seat? If GH starts pulling 2.6 and 2.7 again will that do it? If AMC and OLTL start pulling 2.5's again will that do it? Or are we talking about real improvement here?

• Members

That is a really great question!! I wonder what TPTB would consider an improvement in ratings or what would be a failure. Maybe it will be a comparison in how the ABC soaps do against the CBS/NBC soaps. The ratings could go up for AMC/OLTL but they could remain in sixth/seventh place. Also, the demos are pretty important. If they continue to do poorly in the demos, I imagine the ABC higher ups won't be happy. I think the important demo is the 18-49 but correct me if I am wrong.

I guess how they do in sweeps determines the advertising rates. How that is figured I have no idea. Everything comes back to money so if the rates they get aren't great, then I imagine more cuts will be made.

I am just speculating. Maybe Errol has a better idea/explanation.

• Members

I think GH will definitely take the ABC lead in ratings next month. Purely because out of the three, I think GH is the strongest show. At least two major plot points will be happening this November. Laura's return and Alexis taking action concerning Ric and Sam.

AMC is a mess right now. McTavish is not even taking care of the crap she has on screen. It's like she either is aware that her ass is thisclose to termination and figures what's the use, or she's unaware and believes she's in the catbird seat and can just write whatever she wants. All I know is that uselessness is spreading like a rampant virus on AMC. Jonathan is useless. Annie is useless. Bianca's useless. The JR/Babe/Josh triangle is useless. Sean is useless. Dear GAWD, the "Who Killed Greg Madden?" storyline was utterly useless because nobody CARED about him. We were supposed to care because Josh wanted closure? I know I didn't because I detest Josh and everything he represents.

Archived