TLC Biopic

Eric83

• Members

Also, Pebbles supposedly had a hand (and say) in Chilli's abortion too. There were also rumblings on Twitter last night that the reasoning for that was that allegedly Chilli was boning L.A. Funny because didn't Pebbles sleep with L.A. and he was supposedly married at the time? Let me go look that up. . . . :P

Overall, I loved the movie. Some parts were rushed but it was a made for TV biopic on VH1 so I'm shocked by it. Lil Mama stole the show and this'll do wonders for her waning career IMO.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was a good film over all, I thought the actresses captured the group's personalities very well and it seemed like a pretty honest telling of events, which was good, since sometimes biopics with group members involved tend to be skewed a certain way (for example, The Temptations biopic was heavily skewed toward Otis). No one was portrayed as a perfect saint or total sinner.

Pebbles seemed very opportunistic, she had a few high charting songs, but TLC was definitely a better avenue for her to get paid and I think she did take advantage of them to a certain extent. The scene where was she worried about the tour when T-Boz was ill really showed her in a bad light. LaFace was definitely more responsible for ripping them off, I know record labels take expenses, but it seemed shady how the girls made almost nothing off of their first two albums, the second of which was a monster hit. LA Reid is shady, too. If I'm correct, he had a hand in ripping off Toni Braxton.

• Members

Finally getting around to watching this. I was sleep last night but I most definitely DVRed it to see Lil Mama bring the Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes realness, glad I was wrong about her.

I am glad they showing the stuff with original member Crystal.

• Members

I thought this was decent, but it was too choppy. They could've easily added another hour to this film to flesh the stories out. I think Pebbles and Dallas Austin's stories lacked proper development and the origin story was too brief. I didn't like how they threw Crystal under the bus. We all know she couldn't have sounded like that if she was meant to be the lead singer and everybody was bending over backwards to make a group around her. Crystal was on the radio and said that the truth is that she asked to take the contract home and have her mom look over it and Pebbles said she wasn't allowed to take the contract with her, so they dropped her when she refused to sign it. Considering what happened to them money wise, I tend to believe that.

I wish the film had shown more of what happened after Lisa died as well. I didn't like the way they showed her flop solo cd, but didn't show the successes she had (like her UK #1 with Mel C). Overall it was very entertaining, but there was a little more they could've done.

• Members

On a scale from 1-10

1 being 287.jpg and 10 being tumblr_mg421kzdFa1rgi02xo1_250.gif -

I'll give it a 5, overall.

Cons

• Half the casting was off. I wasn't feeling Drew Sidora as T-Boz at all, nor was I feeling LaMichael as Dallas Austin or random guy as Andre Rison. Seeing that plain John cast as my tween crush, Mr. Dalvin of Jodeci, just added insult to injury. And as nice as it was to see Cockroach / Cole get a job, those casting directors know damn well that LA never looked that good.
  • They did a less than great job of capturing the charisma of Chilli (my favorite member) and T-Boz. Yes, Left-Eye was the boldest of the three, but TLC's success was mainly due to the perfect molding of all three personalities (hence the inspiration behind CrazySexyCool as an album title) - the likes of which I haven't seen in any girl group since.
  • I was also disappointed that Jermaine Dupri wasn't featured in this movie, as he was definitely an important key to their early success. One might argue that he was to them what P. Dildo was to MJB.
  • I also wish that BET would've been featured as a media outlet, as they were just as instrumental in covering TLC's meteoric success as MTV was.
  • KeKe Palmer's lace front baby hairs. It just wasn't the same as Chilli's and it was distractingly obvious.

Pros

• L'il Mama. I will fully admit that I was wrong in writing her off earlier, as she definitely did her homework in studying Left Eye. While she didn't look like Lisa (even with the dark contacts), her embodying the spirit of Left-Eye made up for that to the point where she outshined KeKe Palmer (who I'd expected to come out on top). Hopefully, she'll use the praise she's getting to get her foot in Hollywood's door like Naturi Naughton has.
  • The 90s nostalgia. I admit that I was worried that they wouldn't pay attention to details, but my fears were put to rest as soon as I saw that huge-ass pager. I'll definitely credit these folks for paying a decent tribute to the soundtrack / culture of my adolescence.
  • The storytelling. While I'm sure that they took creative license with a few things (i.e.: the real reason why Sister Perri shaded Chilli regularly, green-dress-lady on the red carpet), the story was told (relatively) honestly--considering that I wasn't expecting them to unveil all their warts.
  • The ending. I thought incorporating the last scene with Real T-Boz and Real Chilli was done well, as well as the plug of their new song. I'll admit that I almost shed a tear to see those two crack jokes and step back into the studio.

To wrap this all up, I'd say that this is a decent Sunday afternoon movie.

• Members

I just saw and loved it! It definetly was better than I was expecting. I thought all three women did a good job, especially Lil Mama and Keke Palmer

Dang, Pebbles was SHADY as hell. I didnt realize she was practically their age (I think only 5 years difference). She did them wrong. They didnt touch on it but it was mentioned in their recent Wendy interview that in order to buy the TLC name, they had to pay a million dollars per letter.

Anyways, they released 20, a greatest hit album last week. Dissapointing that it only has 14 tracks. Should have had 20...lol. I've been listening to that alot and remembering my love for Hat 2 Da Back and What About Your Friends

• Members

Was Pebbles really all that big of a deal? Granted, I was born in '90, but she was just not someone we listened to a lot or cared about when I was growing up. Some of her less successful contemporaries were more visible to me than her, so would I be right in saying that her influence mostly comes from being married to LA?

• Members

As an artist, I'd say that she was the late 80s/early 90s equivalent to Ashanti (possessed a certain look despite a weak voice and a handful of R&B hits before petering out, though she was able to hustle into becoming Mrs. LA Reid and stay afloat while her other peers fell went broke). Much as I haven't been able to stand Sister Perri since she was exposed, I'll gladly admit that I sing along to those Babyface/LA Reid-penned/produced tunes to this day.

Archived