Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Who is/was the biggest hack writer on soaps??

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 Susan Hunter

Susan Hunter

Recurring

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Tom Langan.

I've watched Days of our Lives, on and off, practically my entire life. There were times when I didn't pay close attention to it or watched in dribs and drabs because of school or work or raising kids. The first time I voluntarily turned the show off was during Tom Langan's stint. The whole thing just offended me.

This will probably get me stoned, but I think that Bob Guza is a lot better than people give him credit for. Yes the mob ate GH under his pen, but I really believe that Guza gets crapped on for some stuff that the network mandated .

#22 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 39,921 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

This bootleg Janet from Three's Company was a writer?!?!?!?

I was under the impression that she was a music director from the show that had the temerity to replace Wendy Riche as executive producer.

My bad, I read the thread as biggest hack, not realizing it was limited to writers

#23 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,846 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I wouldn't include Lynn Marie Latham, because she does have some really strong work under her belt, I just don't think she's built for daytime. Perhaps, she also picked the wrong soap (probably because Y&R is the highest rated). I didn't find her that bad at PC. I'd say Hogan Sheffer is overall mostly bad and David Kreizman I found dreadful on GL, ATWT and AMC.

I liked some of her work on PC, but the story with Lucy blinding Serena was just way too much. I also blame that era for my longtime aversion to Julie Pinson.

This will probably get me stoned, but I think that Bob Guza is a lot better than people give him credit for. Yes the mob ate GH under his pen, but I really believe that Guza gets crapped on for some stuff that the network mandated .

I think some of that's true, but he kind of had the same stories and characterizations throughout his years at GH, even with vastly different ABC daytime heads.

#24 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

My bad, I read the thread as biggest hack, not realizing it was limited to writers

Yeah she's a hack but she did have alot of friends on the cast and she got a new job in snap for a primetime soap

#25 rlj

rlj

Contract

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hmmm, Stern & Black from ATWT.

Pamela Long on OLTL

and whoever wrote that crappy shiot the last couple of years on GL!

#26 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hmmm, Stern & Black from ATWT.

Pamela Long on OLTL

and whoever wrote that crappy shiot the last couple of years on GL!

GL would be Kriezman, he killed AMC also

#27 Soaplovers

Soaplovers

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

A past soap writer that was considered a hack writer was James Lipton (he almost caused AW to be cancelled in the 60's and ended up writing Capital out with a weird cliff-hanger).

#28 JaneAusten

JaneAusten

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image

Ok I know he's not the worst but I couldn't resist.

#29 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

A past soap writer that was considered a hack writer was James Lipton (he almost caused AW to be cancelled in the 60's and ended up writing Capital out with a weird cliff-hanger).

Did Lipton write the whole time at Capitol?? I never could get into Capitol. I watched it faithfully but the soap was just awful.

#30 frequentsoapfan

frequentsoapfan

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

Ok I know he's not the worst but I couldn't resist.

Is that RC? He's not the worse but he certainly did his show no favors an dhe'sot doing GH any favors now. He's definitely a hack

#31 rlj

rlj

Contract

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Oh and whoever was writing ANC when it became the Cambious Hour and tried to rip off Sex & the City

Not fond of Bell on BB, he needs to step down and bring in some new blood, the show has become a big 1/2 of Jerry Springer with it's repetative semi incestuous stories.

#32 P.J.

P.J.

~~ATWT's Money Couple~~

• Members
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Sheffer, without a doubt. Pissy doesn't have a creative bone in her body, but at least she knew how to revamp (ie, "steal") stories that had once been good and fit them around the characters. Sheffer wrote one story, thought his **it didn't stink, and kept on rewriting it. (It really kind of worked to his advantage, since he could write a satisfying conclusion anyway.)

And McTrash is right up there with him. What she did to GL alone (in like 12-18 months) was criminal.

#33 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

Gabrielle Medina Forever!

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

She was considered the de facto headwriter of OLTL throughout most of 1999, after Pam Long was fired by ABC and until Megan McTavish got there (Harding Lemay was her writing consultant during this time, too). So she actually counts here.

#34 juppiter

juppiter

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I wouldn't include Lynn Marie Latham, because she does have some really strong work under her belt, I just don't think she's built for daytime. Perhaps, she also picked the wrong soap (probably because Y&R is the highest rated). I didn't find her that bad at PC. I'd say Hogan Sheffer is overall mostly bad and David Kreizman I found dreadful on GL, ATWT and AMC.

Latham can do well when she is creating her own stories and characters, but when she comes into an established show like Y&R or KL she always imposes her own vision/style whether it is appropriate for the show or not... I find it irritating. I do think she has some talent, but she is up her own ass a bit.

#35 juppiter

juppiter

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Tom Langan.

I've watched Days of our Lives, on and off, practically my entire life. There were times when I didn't pay close attention to it or watched in dribs and drabs because of school or work or raising kids. The first time I voluntarily turned the show off was during Tom Langan's stint. The whole thing just offended me.

YES, I forgot about Langan. Langan to me is worse than Sheffer actually. I'm watching 99 DAYS right now and it's legit on fire and amazing, and it's depressing as hell knowing in a few short months Langan will take over and it'll all go to hell. His DAYS was the dumbest, most pointless hour of television and in some ways I don't think DAYS ever fully recovered from what he did to it.

#36 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Latham can do well when she is creating her own stories and characters, but when she comes into an established show like Y&R or KL she always imposes her own vision/style whether it is appropriate for the show or not... I find it irritating. I do think she has some talent, but she is up her own ass a bit.

I haven't seen any of LML's work before, but it's always fascinating to me to see how many detractors she has for her work on KL & Y&R, but when it comes to her show Homefront, the praise is near universal (I still have yet to see it, and I really want to). Then again, that could just prove your point: it was her show from the beginning (although a lack of network/production interference during HF could have something to do with it, too).

#37 MissLlanviewPA

MissLlanviewPA

• Members
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

This bootleg Janet from Three's Company was a writer?!?!?!?

Joyce DeWitt is beautiful. JFP looks like she has a dead cat on her head.

#38 juppiter

juppiter

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

I did like some of LML's work on KL. Season 10 was amazing, not just for a show in its 10th season but in general. The Murakame storyline (Abby invents a fake company with a name she picks out of a phone book to buy out her business partners who don't know there is oil under the property they own) I lurved, it was a true return to form for the type of storyline that made KL popular in the first place. The Val/Gary/Jill storyline (Jill tries to kill Val and makes everyone think Val was committing suicide) was creative as hell and very addictive, it dragged out the first 2/3 of the season and I didn't even mind. And the beginning of the Paige/Greg romance was just classic soap. That was LML at her finest to me. But there were far more misses than hits to me, and worse, she permanently changed the TONE of the show. In one interview she spoke about the famous season 6 finale where a woman shouts, "Harry go they wanna take the babies!" while holding her baby, and Latham was LIVID that they had allowed the actress to be yelling in the baby's ear and how she found it totally distracting and how she would never have written it that way. You can poll 100 KL fans and I don't think any of them had that reaction to that scene.

#39 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,846 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

I liked her Knots run overall, but the show lost humanity - characters like Val and Mack were destroyed. The Murakame story just made Abby into a cliche villain, which is one of the reasons Donna Mills left.

#40 juppiter

juppiter

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

I liked her Knots run overall, but the show lost humanity - characters like Val and Mack were destroyed. The Murakame story just made Abby into a cliche villain, which is one of the reasons Donna Mills left.

Val was destroyed yes, but Mack was destroyed even earlier to me. I really only like him in season 4. When he became obsessed with Wolfbridge he irritated me but under Latham he became unbearable. I'd argue Karen was ruined as well. She became reactionary under Latham, and actually antithetical to the unique, awesome character Karen was in the early seasons. Some of that was Michele Lee's influence tho -- apparently she despised the pill addiction storyline (which I LOVED) and said never again. Unfortunately that gave us Saint Karen the Judgmental.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users