2012: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh! Thank you... Something told me it was Schock.

At first, I thought that Korte would salvage the Carlivati scripts. Now I'm beginning to doubt her ability and believe that she was coasting on the EXCELLENT skills of Guza's script writing team (Michele Val Jean, Mary Sue Price, Susan Wald, Nathan Fissell and even my least favorite, Karen Harris), because the dialogue that has been recited on screen these last six months has been DREADFUL! The clunky expository dialogue. The awkward phrasing. The lack of character-driven dialogue (I'll never forget Spinelli actually referring to Sonny as "Sonny" and Alexis referring to Mac as Maxie's "uncle" repeatedly instead of "father" or "stepfather").

• Administrator

I don't think that is Korte's fault if there's a mandate by Frank or Ron to have the dialogue "stylized". Some HWs like Bill Bell and Jim Reilly had "stylized" dialogue - most people don't like it but I personally don't mind the expository dialogue, or awkward phrasing, or recaps, or false tags. I'm used to that.

• Administrator

So this leaves Korte is the sole survivor from the Guza regime. She's been with the show since 1996. Usually the script editor leaves early into a new regime, so it looks like Carlivati is going to keep her around.

• Members

I don't see the point in keeping her, as she had a long history with the old/Guza's team and was more knowledgeable of their strengths when assigning scripts. She doesn't have the same innate knowledge of these writers.

She's easily replaceable at the moment, so I wonder why they've kept her.

OLTL never had good dialogue, even when some of those scriptwriters were on the team pre-Carlivati being HW, they still wrote some of the most generic and rudimentary dialogue ever.

I miss Guza's team, but I will say, whenever I tune into B&B, it's almost always easy to spot scrips by Michele Val Jean. I'm happy she's still around somewhere in daytime.

• Administrator

Well, Korte did work with them for a long time. She's only had about 6 months with the new team.

She knows the history of the show?

I've only been able to guess a couple of her scripts (like the Liam/Bill "father" scenes from eariler this year). B&B rarely has any scenes where they showcase the dialogue but when they do, it's mostly either MVJ's or Mulcahey's.

Archived