The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm getting there!! So disappointing that she keeps running back to Nick, another character that I'm not too crazy about.

I just started the ep from Friday, February 9, and it begins with Liz coming downstairs after Nick told her in the previous episode that Althea losing her baby doesn't mean they'll get back together. About how far away am I from Polly's niece(s) coming and Steve returning to the screen?

• Members

You're not too terribly far - the nieces show up at the end of February/beginning of March. You'll be seeing more and more of Steve as he is assigned more responsibilities at the hospital, and Nick does get better as time goes on - especially as he is assigned the case of a most unusual surgical patient. Bill and Ruth Winters do reach an understanding and they receive a special gift.

Meanwhile, enjoy Bethel while you still can because we're in the April episodes now, and she leaves the show for good when in August, Lydia Bruce takes over the role of Maggie (and keeps it until the show ends in 1982). It's been said here that Bethel went out to Hollywood to make a movie, taking a leave of absence, but then decided to stay in CA for good.

Good news - I have found a fan mail address for Liz Hubbard, at a talent agency in NYC. I was doing some searching on Google when I found a fan mail address website for various stars. I called the Sullivan Talent Group in NYC myself to make sure the address was still valid and they still represent her. The gentleman I talked to (who was VERY nice) said yes, they still represent Liz and that fans are welcome to send her letters c/o their agency. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll share the address. I sent out my letter the other day, and I'll let you all know whether or not I hear back from her!!!

• Members

First episode today - everybody get ready to groan. Guess who's back from Europe!! I laughed out loud when Maggie and Steve were working in the clinic, and he said he'd have to turn the heat up as the temperature in the room had become freezing. The look on Bethel's face was absolutely priceless!!!

On the upside, Steve was reading a postcard from Cousin John, who is now visiting France and having a wonderful time. Liz seemed happy for him. Speaking of which, those two sure aren't doing much to be discreet, are they? I already feel so bad for Carolee.

Second episode - we finally learn what the Andersons - or shall we say, MR. ANDERSON - has against doctors. I wonder if this was the first time a story on that issue had been done on a soap. I don't think even GH touched that subject.

• Members

Yeah, Maggie's eye rolling was in overdrive today (understandably). I'm very interested in how the Andersons' situation is going to be handled.

Not until Matt stops enabling her! Maybe Steve's comments about the other interns thinking Karen is receiving favoritism from the Chief of Staff will do the trick.

• Members

I think he's a piece of work, but I sorta chuckle at how utterly shameless he is at being obnoxious and self-centered. It's hilarious how he always ends up in the middle of things and no one ever just tells him to get the hell out. When he showed up at the hotel after they pulled Liz off the ledge, he just rolled in the room and positioned himself right in her face as everyone stood and watched, and he just started messing with her like it's his job. I have to admire his brazenness laugh.png But I wouldn't be against someone just hauling off and smacking him. Maggie's more than capable.

I'm intrigued by this Anderson story y'all are talking about! Somebody spoiler tag it so I can see what's going on lol

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

So now we know, Ralph has "issues". Poor Lila.....

I liked the Matt/Maggie episode yesterday. It's a shame the Y&R writers didn't see this before doing that gawdawful Nick episode an the horrible Snortoria episode. Lakin sure knew how to write to her character's strengths.[Not to mention subtlety and nuance, two things that JM and AH are not good at.] JM's episode was a little better than AH's.

Loved the look on Althea's face after Maggie filled her in on the deets of her day with Matt, and Karen's admission to him.

Pritchett sure loved that pipe, didn't he?

Nice to get a John Rice mention.

I remember reading about Steve Aldrich having kids with a variety of women, but I never pictured him as the player that he was back in these days.[i had only seen him in the 78-82 time frame on and off.]

Carolee Campbell's wacky bits brighten up every episode she appears in.

• Members

Steve is also the only one who pronounces "Werner" with a "V", in true German fashion. I have to wonder if any of the fans ever gave it to Laryssa Lauret on the streets, telling her to leave Matt alone or some such thing. It seems TD never got quite as much attention as other soaps from the time, like ATWT and GL did, but TD sure had its share of loyal fans.

• Members

Here's a real treat - from 1978, James Pritchett's Emmy Award acceptance speech for when he was named Best Actor. It's audio only, but you can still pick up on the excitement. The ceremony was hosted by Richard Dawson, and the Best Actor trophy was presented by AMC's Mary Fickett (Ruth Martin). It starts around the 47:40 mark: