The "foreign soaps" topic

Huntress

• Members

How much of EastEnders did you see? Currently airing here...

- Max, Tanya and the kids have moved into Albert Square. Max is Bradleys Dad, and Jim's son.

- Sonia is unhappy still, and is more unhappy as Carley starts to take a motherly role with Rebecca.

- Ian is now a member of a local charity, and has got Dawn to pretend to be his wife, but his proper girlfriend Jane has no idea

- Keith settles into new life as a single parent

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is video clip from the 4000 episode of Home and Away

Its Alfs 60th birthday, and past residents of SummerBay have come back for the party. Sally is giving a touching speech about Alf. Sally has grown up in show, these two are the longest characters in H&A. It then looks back over the defining moments of Home and Away.

That little girl in the montage section right at the start of the montage is Sally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsLLdYOhocg

• Members

In the Netherlands we have 2 soap operas I can tell you more about them, if you want??

- Goede Tijden Slechte Tijden (in English: Good times bad times), the longest running soap in Europe, with the most episodes.

- Onderweg naar morgen (it's something in English like: On the way to tomorrow)

In the Netherlands we had one more soap that got cancelled a few years ago. It was called 'Goudkust' . something like Gold coast.

• Members

When did Goede Tijden Slechte Tijden begin? Also how many episodes has it had

Coronation Street : 6331

EastEnders : 3190

Emmerdale : Not Know

Hollyoaks : Not Known

Neighbours : 5005

Home and Awya : 4226

Axed soaps in UK

Family Affairs : 2285

Brookside : 2915

• Members

I'm in the States. But I've been over to the UK often (for work -- not as glamorous as it sounds) and caught the show there.

I also think Torrents uploads the latest episodes but I'd have to check that.

• Members

Family Affairs should *NEVER* have been axed. It was doing great as it reached the final few months, the big changes were all really sliding into place.

Hollyoaks is getting a lot better these days. It went through a few months of dragging out boring plots and ignoring some of the great characters, but now it's all changing for the better.

EastEnders is definately the best soap on air right now. They've really improved it...taking it back to being about families and injecting a real sense of community into the show again, something it was definately lacking before.

Emmerdale is great for really dramatic, sweeping storylines that envelope the entire canvas. They can do really high camp stories, but due to the great acting and writing they come across as serious, and pull it off. The only thing is, in between their big events and high stakes storylines, it tends to drag a little bit.

Coronation Street is a soap I'm totally over at the moment. They've lost something that was making it really great. I dunno what it is, but it just seems to be plodding along at the moment.

Here's a montage of all 5 British soaps from the Soap Awards for 2005 and 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5hq0ENNWqQ

• Members

Ah kool, so you are infront that me lol, because in the UK we are between 4 - 5 months behind Australia

UK boi - would you say there last big moment was 'Killer Corrie' lol, it seems they will never top that storyline. Richard Hillman was the BEST!

• Members

GTST is the same as our German GZSZ, at least the first year both shows had the same storylines - because they were both taken from the Australian scripts. GTST started in 1990, GZSZ in 1992. The only difference is that the Dutch version has summer breaks, whereas GZSZ runs through the whole year.

Character names (Australia | Netherlands | Germany):

Elizabeth MacKenzie | Helen Helmink | Elisabeth Meinhart Buhr (still there)

Peter Beckett | Peter Kelder | Peter Becker (was recasted twice, departed in 2002)

A.R. Jordan | Daniel Daniel | A.R. Daniel (still there)

Barry King | Rien Hogendoorn | Patrick Graf (died in 1996 of cancer)

Penny Russell | Linda Dekker | Tina Ullrich Zimmermann (left in 1996, returned for a handful of episodes in 2000)

Dr. Bruce Russell | Dr. Simon Dekker | Dr. Frank Ullrich (left in 1993)

Alison Clarke | Martine Hafkamp | Elke Opitz Graf (left in 1997, brief guest stint in 1999)

Rita Merrick | Myriam van der Pol | Lilo Gottschick (left in 1993)

Olivia | Suzanne Balk | Julia Backhoff (left in 1993)

Charmaine Weston | Annette van Thijn | Marina Geppert Richter (left in 1993)

Jeff Archer | Robert Alberts | Clemens Richter (still there)

Carol Archer | Laura Alberts | Vera Richter (left in 1997)

Alan Archer | Arnie Alberts | Heiko Richter (left in 1996)

gzsz.jpgmarienhof.jpgunteruns.jpgverboteneliebe.jpg

GZSZ: 3500 episodes+

MH: 2800 episodes+

UU: 2800 episodes+

VL: 2700 episodes+

In 2005, the telenovela boom began in Germany. They now have as many viewers as the regular daily soaps. The first one was "Bianca - Wege zum Glück" on ZDF, the real hype began with "Verliebt in Berlin" (Sat1). Next to ViB, "Sturm der Liebe" (ARD) and "Julia - Wege zum Glück" (ZDF) are the most successful and all three were renewed for at least another year - although the lead actress on ViB and SdL will be replaced by new characters.

Archived