AMC:SOW spoilers and Thorsten info...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought it was SID that said Maurice was going to Y&R.

I agree that SOW is a rag, but not because they speak out about how bad things are on Soaps. I agree with them when they report those stories. What makes them a rag is the coverage of primetime shows that are not soaps, and stating things that are not so. Just publishing a back stage rumor or about someone's unhappiness with their show does not make them a rag.

• Members

Seriously, some of you honestly think AMC will make some miraculous turnaround with a new writer? I don’t buy it. I’ve watched AMC for years and it truly hasn’t been good in over 10 years. I attribute this to the execs. (like Frons). No, I don’t think McT should be given a free pass, but I think some of you fail to see the bigger picture.

The next writer will be the next “worst ever” and it will go forth from there.

• Members

No, I don't expect AMC or any other soap to return to their glory days of earlier decades.

But, I do expect a new writer to improve the show and to fix problems. Because McTavish is probably the worst writer for this show, ever. It takes one hell of a hack to re-write Agnes Nixon's legendary abortion storyline, for example.

McTavish has a style, though. I attribute the focus on younger characters to Frons. But the slow-as-ice pace, the event driven [!@#$%^&*], the completely unoriginal and downwright offensive storylines I attribute to her. She is a hack, she's had a reputation for being a hack long before she came back to AMC in 2003 for good reason. There are better writers out there for AMC who can make it a decent -- not great -- but decent show that isn't just mind-numbingly bad. McTavish is the absolute devil when it comes to this show. She's had enough chances, she needs to GO.

AMC improved immensely after McHack was removed in 1999. Richard Culliton managed to improve the show after Jean Passanante. Rayfield/Cascio's last two months rocked. I loved McTavish her first year or so back at the show. But she ran out of steam, and she's been pulling her typical tricks ever since. Megan McTavish is the absolute bottom of the barrell, and I don't buy into this "If she goes, it'll only get worse." To me, I absolutely faithfully subscribe to the philosophy "It can't get any worse than this."

• Members

Truthfully, I'd be willing to risk it. I see the big picture. I get that we could end up with someone much, much worse. But ask yourself this, what is left of AMC now? MMT obvious has no respect for the shows history. She can and is allowed to do she sees fit, and NOTHING is scared to her. So ratings are decent, okay, but at what expense? What are we going to lose to let her continue? She has no respect for this show. None. I'd rather have some hack in who just can't write, but tries and makes the effort to show the show respect, then MMT who just takes her wrecking ball to whatever she wants. JMO, of course!

• Members

And some would argue that that view fails to acknowledge the bigger picture. Yes there is a chance the next writer would be worse but its HIGHLY unlikely. That's the beauty of this for Frons. With McT he only has like a .001% chance of picking an even worse writer and looking like an idiot when he/she flops.

Would anyone else out there have attempted the Josh story? NO. So I'm extemely confident the writing can only go up in quality.

Why be content with mediocrity? "Safe" is killing daytime, not helping it.

On another note, this can't be good the the relationship between McTavish and JHC. Here is JHC's best buddy on the cast attacking the writing, that can't make for a good work environment!

I always would have thought if it came down to it Frons would side with JHC. He LOVED Port Charles. I wonder if she has ever even suggested a writer change.

• Members

I personally don't see how AMC could get worse in some respects. Even when the stories weren't the best before McT, the characters were true and pretty much history stayed intact (except for Erica's age). But McT to me has ruined so many characters. I mean this last month watching with Mom I can't get over some of the things she has allowed Dixie to do. That alone is enough to anger me, even without the Josh rewrite.

And she with her writing for chosen few or wanting to correct rights or wrongs with her characters has wasted more money than seems right. I mean she keeps bringing these characters back (many of them on contract) and then just lets them linger.

I know that so many enjoyed the Janet return and at least she didn't put her on contract. But she rewrote history there, then killed off Trevor (one of AMC's most beloved ex-characters), etc. Then instead of ending the story as it should have been they put out this thing that Janet would be around but I have yet to see why she has been allowed to stay around.

I mean the next writer may not be the best, but I don't see how she can be any worse - unless they got Dena Higley - then I really feel for AMC.

• Members

Her actions really make me wonder if it is indeed true that writers get never-ending bonuses for the characters they create as long as they are on the show. Anita lingered forever, as have other (e.g. Del) whereas Sam (a Broderick creation) couldn't have been fired quicker. And it would explain why she was hell-bent on giving Bianca a child, because Miranda is a character that will be with the show until the end.

Archived