New Irritating Pop-up Ads Question

• Members

I wanted to ask: What's up with these new pop-up adds that cover the posts and have no delete X in the corner?  They eventually disappear, but only to be immediately replaced by another pop-up.  Makes it impossible to read an entire post.  Plus, the reply button disappears from the bottom of the page, when these pop-ups are active. So even if you manage to read the thread, you can't reply.  Has anyone else complained about these?  They don't always appear, but much of the time they do.  I realize these platforms must have ads to survive, but these ads may be something about which you are unaware.  They are much more problematic than normal adds.    

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have been irked by this for a long time, but I decided I will get used to it. Haha. I have my own pet peeve - this one video of Alley Mills talking about her Emmy that keeps popping up as an ad every single day now for months. It's hilarious at this point. I think I've seen that video MILLION times and now I even dream of Alley Mills. 

• Members

At this point I have started to love this ad and take it as part of the forum. I hope it never goes away and I see Alley Mills every day hundreds of times for years.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

These are not the ads I was asking about.  The ones I'm irritated by are much worse.  They actually cover parts of the posts, prevent you from reading the posts, and stop the entire page from working correctly.  The Alley Mills ads do not do any of that, as far as I know.  If you ever encounter the ads I'm talking about, you will be happy to see the Alley Mills ads again!  LOL. 

• Members

If you read my post... you will recognize that I know this is not what you are talking about. I was agreeing with you, but also stating my OWN pet peeve about different ads. I think it's quite clear. I am not confused about this - I know you are talking about the other annoying ads. I wanted to give my 2 cents... In the end I am not THAT bothered... but  I just find it funny that I have to see Alley Mills every day of my life. 

• Webmaster

What advertisement are you referring to? What brand? Do you have an example/screenshot that would make it clear what you are talking about? Is this happening on Desktop, Tablet or Mobile view? The type of device you are using matters.

That said, I do not personally control the appearance or behavior of any individual advertisement displayed on the message boards or the main website. Advertisements appear after bids are placed via AI, which is how most advertising is handled across the internet for highly trafficked websites such as SON itself.

Regarding the reply button, I made great strides in coding it so that ads do not block important sections of the message boards, particularly the reply box section. If an ad is doing so, take a screenshot and send it to me so that I can alert our advertising provider. Maybe they can look into it and contact the offending advertiser about it. Otherwise, that shouldn't be happening.

Further, the only example of what I think you are talking about that I could find was a recent ad I saw on Desktop for Sirius XM. It appeared within the confines of the video ad unit (the one playing a rotation of Emmy videos), but it closed on its own after a few seconds—it DID have a tiny "X" so you could close it yourself, to be clear.

(see screenshot below)

P.S. To be clear, pop-up ads do not exist on soapoperanetwork.com. What you are likely labeling as a pop-up ad is an ad that appears within the borders of your currently viewed browser window. A pop-up ad opens in a separate window or tab.

Lastly, reading the off-topic posts in The Gates thread, keep in mind that posting comments like that within topic-specific threads is not helpful. Regardless of whether you were aware of this support desk forum, there are better ways to reach @Toups or me, including PM (Private Message) or email. Those two methods are the fastest methods to reach either of us without interrupting the conversation flow within a topic-specific thread.

• Webmaster

The video you are referring to is not an ad. It is a video that plays between actual video advertisements. Essentially, a video ad unit appears around the third post or the third way down on pages across the message boards and website.

Besides appearing frequently. What is wrong with the ad unit? Are there any issues with viewing the website? 

• Members

I don't have issues with viewing the website. For me it was somewhat of a fascination and a pet peeve why this video appears every single day hundreds of times a day. Maybe I have some cache problem or browser issue that makes this same video appear all the time. I rarely see anything other than Alley Mills. I don't know if this is supposed to be like this or not. That's why I was mentioning it. Maybe If I clear my browser cache and restart it may go away or change to another video. Just as I am writing this, I see Alley Mills talking if I scroll up a bit.

If it's supposed to be like this... I have no issue, but if it's not supposed to be... I have no idea why all I am seeing is her on repeat.

Thank you for your response. You are the best.

• Members

Thanks for the response.  I'll try to get a screen shot next time it happens. I can't remember the topic of the ads, but there are several of them and when one closes another immediately replaces it.  The ads themselves partially cover the posts, which is strange because none of the other ads on SON seem to do that. These ads are not in the margins of the page as most SON ads are.  They actually cover part of the page content. I think this might be some kind of rogue situation, because when the ads appear, the entire look of the page changes -- even the type font on the posts changes.  And the reply button is not covered by an ad, it just disappears.  It's almost as if the ads are controlling the page.  I'm using a laptop, Macbook Pro.  As I said, I'll try to get a screen shot.  Thanks again.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Couldn't get a real screen shot, so I took a photo of the screen.  Not sure why it is posting sideways, because the orientation is correct on my laptop.  If you can see the photo, notice the distortion of the page.  The ad itself is not appearing on this shot.  It seems the page will only allow me to attach one photo per post, so I'll try to post a couple of others seperately. 

Here's another one

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

Here are two better examples of the ads and how they irritate.  You'll notice in both photos, an ad is covering part of a post, and the part of the page that is visible/readable is distorted -- strange type font, etc.  Again, no idea why they appear sideways.  They are in the correct orientation on my laptop.  

• Members

I'm having an almost identical issue as @Mona Kane Croft. Some ads jump in and change the entire layout of the page. The font goes from the usual sans-serif to Times New Roman and the page becomes unreadable.

• Webmaster

@Michael

Thank you for letting me know. This is an issue that I've been looking into since @Mona Kane Croft informed me of it. I think I might have found the cause of it, but will not know for sure until I get more information back from tech support.

Will let you know what I find, if anything.