ALL: Errors, Myths, Omissions & Firsts that weren't

• Members

LaGuardia, R. (1983b). Soap World. Arbor House Publishing Company.

ISBN: 0-87795-482-8

This is what SOAP WORLD says. I have no idea of its veracity. LaGuardia has so much correct info but I am also aware of errors, generally speaking.

from pg. 106

Before the quote begins was discussion of Helen Wagner being fired but subsequently rehired.

There is more in this account about the beginning.

And, just a thought I had, if people can think of any questions Rosemary Prinz might be willing to try to recall. A member of my soap opera group is a close personal friend of hers & I could have him inquire if she'd be open to any such questions posed to her in email. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Schemering 1987 Soap Encyclopedia p.52  The Catlins a daytime soap when every other source says primetime. Now it seems like daytime is correct.  

Okay, so here it is broken down: 

daytime soap: Correct: Schemering, IMDb

primetime soap: Wrong: IMDb, wikipedia, SON, 

not even listed: Also Wrong: Wesley Hyatt, Ency of Daytime TV

Edited by Contessa Donatella
combining posts

• Members

I guess it depends on how you view it - primetime soaps are usually considered soaps that are aired in the primetime with one episode per week and usually seasonal orders. I guess Peyton Place sort of curbs this rule as it aired 2-3 times a week all weeks of the year.

Daytime soaps are usually seen as five-day-a-week soaps. The Catlins aired at 11:05am and 11:40pm in April 1984: https://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-40642.html 

No idea which one was the new episode and which one was the repeat, but it wouldn't surprise me if the late night airing was the new episode in this case. Is that a daytime soap or a nightime then? Most would probably still say daytime soap due to the five day a week nature of it.

• Members

From  that site: Also false is the notion that Phillips created AW as a sister show for "As the World Turns." No mention is made of a connection to Oakdale in the AW bible, or in the very rough first draft of her unfinished memoir, "All My Worlds." However, she did reference the Hughes family in the bible as a way to bring her AW characters into sharper focus. And six months into AW, the character of Mitchell Dru left Oakdale for Bay City.

This is a link to the AW bible from that site:

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/bible.htm

Page 1 is missing. I have page 1.

From my copy of the AW bible:

Please register in order to view this content

It says that Oakdale is neighboring. And it says Chris drew up the Mathhews' brothers partnership.

• Members

In the Irna Phillips universe there were small cities clustered near each other. They were Oakdale, Illinois [ATWT], Flat Rock, Centerville, Somerset [itself] Bedfordtown, Brookville, Ogden, Centerville, Bay City, Illinois, [AW] – Donna L Bridges (These were supposed to represent the actual bedroom suburbs around Cincinnati, where P&G's International Headquarters were.)

In the intricate universe created by Irna Phillips, several small cities were clustered near each other, each with its own unique character and stories. Let’s explore the associations with these towns:

Centerville: This town was a central hub in the Irna Phillips universe. It played a pivotal role in many of her serials. Centerville was a place of drama, romance, and intrigue. Characters from various shows intersected here, making it a focal point for storytelling 1.

Bedfordtown: Bedfordtown was another significant locale. It had its share of secrets, scandals, and passionate affairs. The lives of its residents were closely intertwined, creating a rich tapestry of interconnected stories 1.

Brookville: Brookville was a charming town where families grappled with love, loss, and ambition. The community spirit and personal struggles of its inhabitants made it a compelling setting 1.

Ogden: Ogden was a place of mystery and hidden agendas. Its streets echoed with whispered conversations, and its residents harbored secrets that shaped their destinies. The drama in Ogden often unfolded behind closed doors 1.

These towns served as microcosms of life, reflecting the complexities of human relationships, aspirations, and challenges. Irna Phillips, the pioneering creator of daytime soap operas, wove these fictional places into the hearts of viewers, leaving an indelible mark on the world of storytelling 123.

From <https://www.bing.com/search?q=%27Star+Wars+Episode+1%E2%80%99+in+theaters&filters=tnTID%3A%227C93F411-8E2F-40f0-A332-AA39C1409A8E%22+tnVersion%3A%225493891%22+Segment%3A%22popularnow.carousel%22+tnCol%3A%2211%22+tnScenario%3A%22TrendingTopicsAPI%22+tnOrder%3A%22224513f2-eeed-4c68-8d52-03826720161b%22&FORM=SNAPCR&ecount=50&crslsl=1280&vfirst=7&showconv=1>

Of course, a Bing search may not be infallible.

• Members

I'd need to see some examples. I think Centerville on ATWT was where Kim went and was caught in a tornado, losing her memory but this occurred after Irna had departed.

As for the other towns I think Bing is bung.

• Members

From AMC. This scene is from after Erica had the abortion and during her infection which nearly killed her. Jeff seeks Dr Frazier, who conducted it, to tell him about the infection so he and Dr Clader can work on the situation together.

It's pre-Roe V Wade but coincides with the legalization in New York. Note, in Pennsylvanian, it wasn't legal (as far as I know) but the legalities that are reiterated by Dr Frazier reflects the laws in New York at the time.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

Eddie Drueding was delighted to get a missing page the very day he found out it was missing, so, thanks, Andrew!!! 

He also admired this thread & wondered if we'd take a stab at debunking any on a tentative list of AW Firsts he has devised. 

Another World - Firsts

First soap opera to make the transition to color from black and white.

First soap opera to make the transition to videotape from live broadcast.

First soap to use the "beauty shot" (end credits featuring actors on set).

First soap opera (and tv show?) to tell a story featuring abortion.

First soap opera to expand to one hour.

First soap opera to incorporate comedy (1978, Vivien Gorrow).

First soap opera to expand to 90 minutes.

First soap opera to have a daytime-airing spin-off (Somerset). [[  The first television soap opera perhaps, but Guiding Light had a spin-off while it was on radio.]]

First soap opera to have a second spin-off (Texas).

First soap opera to tell a story featuring AIDS (1987, Dawn Rollo).

First soap opera to eliminate the full-screen closing credits crawl in favor of the one-third screen credits/promo combination (1995).

I know the following are correct: expand to an hour, expand to 90 min., Pat Randolph's illegal abortion was first on US daytime but I believe MAUDE was first for primetime, Dawn Rollo & AIDS. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
typo