ALL: Errors, Myths, Omissions & Firsts that weren't

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know this thread is about misconceptions with in the genre but...

The idea that The Simpsons is the longest running show and SVU's Olivia Benson is the longest running female character on television. People fail to add the *in primetime astrix to those titles. This shows a lack of reguard, dare I say dismissal of soap's history and contribution to television.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

Here's another one that is oft repeated in one way or another (in fact I just read something along these lines in another thread)

When Y&R went to an hour Bill Bell dropped the Brooks and Foster families and replaced them with the Abbott and Williams families.

The impression given that within a short period all those original family members were dropped and the new families added.

In fact in 1980 Bell added the Williams based around the character of Paul-Carl, Mary, Steve and Patty.

John and Jack Abbott came on months later as fairly minor characters.

Jill, Greg, Snapper and Liz Foster continued as prominent characters till 1982 as did all the Brooks family. 

It was not until 2 years into the 1 hr show that Lorie, Les and Chris were dropped along with Snapper and Greg.

And a family was created around Jack as had been done with Paul years earlier.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Well, that’s not how it was reflected in the credits, and when Wendy Riche announced MVJ’s promotion in 2000, she also announced Korte’s:

GH places African-American as its new head writer

Val Jean new head scribe of ‘General

Variety article as well with Riche’s announcement in 2000. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Speaking of this, I vividly recall one reference book I remember reading back in the late 90’s or so that GL changed its locations as it moved filming locations (ie Chicago for Five Points, LA for Selby Flats CA, and NYC for Springfield) when this was clearly not the case.

Also the misconception that GL was always on CBS, when in fact it actually premiered on. NBC radio and didn’t get air on CBS radio until circa 1948-ish or so.

• Members

In a weird way to answer you Donna yes that is what was inferred if that makes sense lol. 

The best example was the book explaining the show changing locations to Selby Flats, California came at a time the show’s production moved to LA and stayed that way through the 1960’s when GL changed locations again, when in reality GL only was produced in LA briefly in the late 40’s and not some 20 year period as the book suggested.

• Members

How totally weird. And I mean that in the worst possible way. 

I like to try to catch AI in errors & my favorite one was this.

My question: What part on what show did Susan Lucci's daughter play?

AI Chat replied: Jamie Luner plays Liza Colby on AMC

Now it got a Liza - just not the right Liza. 

I very nicely corrected it & thanked it & it literally told me it was so upset it couldn't talk with me anymore. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Over & over I have seen it said that P&G sold "From These Roots." Never happened. And, I wonder how it got started because why say it about it & not some other less than uber successful P&G soap. There are so many! 

The one & only soap opera that P&G did sell was "The Brighter Day" & its outcome was unfortunate to say the least. Did some pretty drastic changing in personnel, actors, moved it from East Coast to West. Canned it within a year, I believe. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
rest info