Y&R: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@DramatistDreamer I appreciated your thoughts and post on Friday’s episode as I agree with them.

Actually I enjoyed both Thursday/Friday episodes of the show this past week, I think having JW back in full force as corporate Jill definitely helped, but even the nostalgia of things like Christine/Danny/Phyllis/Michael was actually welcomed even if Phyllis totally  pointless, isolated, irrelevant these days. 

So not looking forward to anymore Newman drama at the moment personally I have found that story a total fail. Like a coma inducing replay of Sarah Smythe and Daisy all over again. 

• Members

The Newmans are over-written for as characters. I am not referencing the quality, just the quantity. 
If they were going to go through all this trouble to bring a deceased daughter from a prominent family back to the canvas, I would have wanted her to be Colleen Carlton—at least Colleen has multiple connections to various other characters and would have provided much needed story for Traci Abbott. If written properly (and everyone has heard my ideas over the years), it would make a great umbrella story that would provide story for most of the characters on the canvas.

As it stands now, this Eve story has pretty much siloed the Newman family with no perceived connection to any other characters on the canvas, beside maybe Michael.

• Members

Random thoughts:

I think Michael screwed up twice today, saying Jordan's name when he meant Claire, or mixed up the two names. It was odd.

Nikki chugging straight out of that vodka bottle was just too much.

I cannot believe we got that SAME dialogue between Adam and Sally that has been happening since they broke up, for almost two years now. Good grief, I am so sick of them.

• Members

Now I know Nate and Devon are showing some deference to Jill due to her seniority, but allowing Jill to demean their elderly great-aunt in front of them? With no comment or pushback? Yeah, no. Whether Mamie was right or wrong. One thing the show has gotten right (or true to character, more accurately) is the condescending way Jill speaks to Mamie.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

The last times that I have watched scenes between Mamie, Devon and Lily, especially, I don’t see one hint of familial feelings toward Mamie. I have even heard each address her by her first name only and not by her honorific. Dru would have never allow this, Victoria Rowell would have slipped in a correction.

• Members

It’s very, very noticeable indeed. Dru (or Neil or Olivia or Malcolm) never would’ve raised children who’d let their aunt be disrespected, even with the knowledge Mamie can hold her own with Jill. They’d have at least said, “She’s family and we won’t allow her to be spoken to in that way. Now let’s move on…” But all Nate and Devon did was squirm like “cowards” (as Jill called them). Hell, Jack or Ashley would have piped up more in Mamie’s defense.

Mamie’s return has been a gigantic fail IMO largely due to that lack of familial connection, which is *somewhat* understandable due to her absence in Devon/Lily/Nate’s lives (due to writer neglect, of course—Y&R isn’t even really exploring Mamie’s role in the family right now—she’s completely underwritten). But still—Black families are very protective of their elders in general, regardless, especially with outsiders.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Josh Griffith has no sensibility of these types of nuances, which is why I am fine with not having Olivia back on the canvas, he’s only foul things up further. It’s nice to see Veronica Redd again but the show has done zilch with her/Mamie except have her roam around talking about uniting the family with little to no detail about her life in between visits. Were told she has made shrewd investments and that’s it.