Days: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

@AbcNbc247 It has to be an ocean dock and not a river, right?

I mean, Rolf's submarine and Victor's freighter couldn't travel on a river.

I know we had a discussion of the minification of the square upthread, but originally didn't the Pub exit out onto the square?

Speaking of sets and the 20something crowd like Tripp, Johnny, Chanel, and Wendy, they need a more age-appropriate meeting venue for group scenes.  It is a shame that SweetBits doesn't have an interior set because a coffee shop would be perfect.  The Bistro and Short Bar seem too upscale for a Gen Z hangout joint, and I would like more natural scenes of them just sitting around outside their tiny homes.

Also, I just read a rumor that I'll add to the spoiler thread.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, they could really use a bar a la the Cheatin' Heart or a café like Java Cafe or Dot Com (but, uh, update the name either way). I'm glad they're using the Bistro a little more, but a fine-dining type of place has been missing for a long time, too. Everyone's always slurping down chowder at the Pub or eating at that one table in the Town Square.

• Members

It's supposed to be the "Salem River," right? Which is a long-established thing, but on this show, I assume their definition of "river" is about as accurate as their definition of "townhouse" (that place is a condo at best). Basically, there's water somewhere.

• Members

I guess that tracks, since it is supposed to be in the Midwest, and Doug's Place was on the lake.  I forget that they aren't in Salem, Mass.  But, it seems much easier to spot a submarine in a river. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

But Salem, Illinois is in the lower part of the state and not near a river or Lake Michigan, so the mystery continues...

Honestly, I just deep dived the state of Illinois more than I intended to.  But I did think at some point in time Days did accept it was Salem, Illinois.  That's why they talk about Chicago and Springfield a lot.

• Members

I've come to accept that they live in a parallel universe version of Illinois where women can have children fourteen years apart, days last for weeks, and kidnappings, doppelgängers, and returns from the dead are common occurrences.

So, I guess the fish are plentiful there...

For the vast majority of modern submarines, the answer is NO.
Edited by j swift

• Members

I get your point.  But being honest Days has been impossible and unbelievable for at least 25 years now.  I think the former budget Days had made it seem more glossy and fun, but it was never deep down and gritty to me.  It was campy entertainment, but I truly do respect your opinion on it.  The early 80's and the early 90's were the most realistic time period for Days, IMO.  It just delved into to supercouples and sci fi in between.

• Members

DAYS has always had a heavy-duty need for the willing suspension of disbelief! There's nothing new about that. Geographically, they always seemed situated with regard to Chicago. Realistically, impossible. Agree that it's a river. 

I only wanted to say about yesterday's show, ... arduous, just damned hard work for the viewer to slog through the heavy oppressive Abe story stuff. It's gone on too long. And the fun stuff ran out days ago. Thank God for Black Patch & Chicago to LA planes & buses & interrogating Jerry! Didn't get much off of Kayla & Marlena & the discovery that Whitley had been a DevilDoc patient. Very late in the game to offer motive for Whitley.

Oh, yeah, I nominate Lani's ankle bracelet as the most frustrating thing about current DAYS. They could have tracked her by it the whole time! 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more