What Are You Listening To?

WTGH

• Members

Oh wow, so I was listening to this music programme on the BBC. Anyway, they talked about this 16 year old from Brazil that committed suicide in 2006.

He went by the name "Yonlu" online.

He wrote a lot of songs and many of them were so mature and beyond his years. So much angst, despair, insecurity, and loneliness in these songs. Sometimes he would try to disguise them with upbeat productions, but they were so telling of the state he was in when he was living.

Anyway, this kid posted on tons of boards on line. He even chronicled his suicide on a group on Usenet. Before he committed suicide, he created a thread on a music site where he posted a lot his songs, each song came with some depressing post about how he wanted to end his life, at the time, most took it as sarcasm or looked over it, but this kid was so damn talented in both his songs and photography.

Here's one of his songs tiled "Humiliation."

http://home.no/yonnerz/humiliation.mp3

Apparently, he wrote it about a girl he was in loved with that didn't like him much. His songs were recorded on Cool Edit Pro, so of course they're a bit rough.

I liked the melody and lyrics in the song, I was impresses, since it was made by a then suicidal 16 year old.

Here's another song, "I Know What It's Like": http://home.no/yonnerz/ikwil.mp3

Tragic stories like this always get to me, especially when they're about young people who were possessed so much talent, yet felt insecure and didn't live to see their potential realized.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Her first two album from the late 80s/early 90s were very Madonna-ish and atypical when you listen to her later albums.

VONDA SHEPARD and RADICAL LIGHT feauture some awesome pop scores, produced by none less than James Newton Howard. Then with ALly McBeal she switched to melodrama (It's good Eve) which she then spiced up with some country which actually was great (BY 7.30). But her last two albums post-ALly McBeal have been rather lacklustre. There's always 1 or 2 great songs on it but no new vision and more of the old. She should stop colloborating with her husband who's been producing these...

That said, Vonda in concert is pure joy. It's always extremely intimate and a wonderfully mixed crowd.

• Members

My fave Vogue, too! You think Carine is badly dressed? Yeah, I guess she does wear her Stylist label like a badge and wants to appear very experimental (note Patricia Field who dressed Sex & the City looks like a bag lady). However rough she looks, though, I don't mind giving her a free pass because her publication is so fun to read.

Now Kate Moss... there's an overhyped "fashion muse."

Edited by Cat

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Red One -- Sugababes! I'm listening to About a Girl, the fierce new Sugababes single produced by RedOne, best known for Pokerface and Just Dance by Lady Gaga.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> Edited by Chris B

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well... I think I'll dip my foot into this thread, being a music lover. (BTW Ruxton, LOVE the Mary Jane Girls!) I love old music... I never find anything I like nowadays, except Scissor Sisters, and they SOUND like old music. I've searched for new music, and found that to get new music I like, I can go into foreign language stuff. They had some nice pop music in the 70's that wasn't done in English...my latest crush is Jurgen Marcus, he's what Leif Garrett might have been like if Leif had been better looking and actually had PIPES. I love this song, and one of the gayest performances you'll see from that time period (1972)

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/3204684/Juergen_Marcus_eine_neue_Liebe_ist_wie_ein_neues_Leben