Roles that Cannot be Recast

• Members

What are some roles that you think just wouldn't work with a recast?

Who comes to mind for me: Susan Flannery as Stephanie Forrester, Eric Braden as Victor Newman, Susan Lucci as Erica Kane. The aforementioned owned their roles to a point it'd be hard to accept anyone else playing that part.

(or) Are there any roles that have been recasted that you feel cannot be recasted ever again? 

My choise: MTS as Nikki Newman, Erika Slezak as Viki Lord, Don Hastings as Bob Hughes. Reasoning: I think all of the previous actors listed were in their roles for far to long, and played their parts too exceptionally for the audience to be accepting of anyone newer in the role.

Edited by ironlion

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

At the end of AW, Rachel should not have been recast if Victoria Wyndham left. 

I feel Linda Dano and Stephen Schnetzer's Felicia and Cass could not have been recasted. 

A Martinez and Marcy Walker as Cruz and Eden, SB

Doug Davidson or Lauralee Bell as Paul and Christine on Y&R

Days has so many: Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Stephen Nichols, Mary Beth Evans, Thaao Penghlis, Leann Hunley, John Aniston, Doug and Susan Hayes, Suzanne Rogers.

GH: Laura couldn't be recast now that Genie Francis has made the part hers. Same for Tony Geary's Luke if he doesn't want to be on. Finola Hughes, Tristan Rogers, Lynn Herring.

• Members

I never imagined roles like Opal (AMC), Ridge and Taylor (B&B) or Jack, Jill and Ashley (Y&R) would be recast successfully, but they were. And all were played by actors extremely identified with those roles.

Eileen Fulton (ATWT) proved that Lisa belong to her. The recast was positively dreadful, but that may have been intentional to get her back!

KKL (B&B) and Sharon Case (Y&R) wouldn't be worth a recast because the roles, which have many similarities, have only succeeded because of the actors.

• Members

Agreed, and IF Y&R were to ever bring back Paul, I kinda doubt Doug Davidson would return. 

AMC --- Erica Kane, Adam & Stuart Chandler, Joe Martin, Jesse Hubbard, Tad Martin

DAYS -- Doug Williams, Julie Williams, Victor Kiriakis, Stefano DiMera, Marlena Evans Black, Tony DiMera, Maggie Kiriiakis, Steve Johnson, Kayla Johnson (most all due to the actors popularity playing them)

GH --- Laura Collins, Kevin & Ryan (esp Ryan), Robert Scorpio, Sonny Corinthos, Monica (long term due to Leslie Charleson's popularity), Tracy Quartermaine, Luke Spencer, Anna Devane (even though GH did temporarily before with Camila More), Scott Baldwin

Y&R--- Victor Newman, Nikki Newman

ONE LIFE --- Viki Lord Buchanan, Asa Buchanan, 

Edited by David_Vickers

• Members

I agree with all of these!

Brooke could possibly work as a recast (after all, they recast Taylor and Ridge, and there have already been two other actresses temporarily playing Brooke), but that would mean losing one of only two remaining original cast members and I'd hate to see that happen.

The other three are just so iconic there is no way they would work as a recast.

As for past B&B characters, I would also count Macy as a difficult recast because so much of her character was built on her (very recognizable) singing voice.

In the other category, "recast roles that shouldn't be recast again", I would count Thorne. The first three were good, but the fourth Thorne did not work, and I think an adult role that has been recast that many times really doesn't need a fifth portrayer.

• Members

I am kind of agreeing that Jason can't be effectively recast.  Not that I think Steve Burton is that awesome, but he does have something that works.  He is generally cold, but can play a good straight guy to humor and has good chemistry with co stars.  There is something robotic about Steve that makes it work I guess.  Jason Brooks, Billy Miller, Cameron, etc have too much emotion to play Jason the way he's been for the last several years.   I don't really think Jason needs to be recast.  He can rest for awhile lol.