Soap writers and their non-soap projects

• Members

I don't know if this is already a thread, but I didn't see it, and, frankly, that doesn't stop others from doing the same. If it is, feel free to lock this, not that you need my permission.  

We all know the basics - Harding Lemay was a playwright! Henry Slesar wrote thrillers and mysteries! Bob Guza did something I don't give two shits about! And so on. 

Rather than just providing a list that we've already seen 15 times, I thought this thread  could be  a more detailed place for either your thoughts on their other projects, or links to some of it.

I'll start off in what made think about this thread - watching a  Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Presents episode that was written by none other than Anne Howard Bailey. Unfortunately, the writing quality is about on the level  of her soap work, but still, it's interesting to compare: 

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Roy Winsor the man behind Search for Tomorrow. Love of Life and Secret Storm who also wrote for Somerset and Another Life. He authored 3 mystery novels in the 1970's, even winning the Edgar Award for best paperback original for 'The Corpse That Walked'

I read it and was underwhelmed. Interestingly, there was a soap connection as one of the characters was a soap actor.

51ldXZ8QKlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Bob Guza worked on a couple of classic slashers in the early '80s - both Prom Night with Jamie Lee Curtis and Curtains with Samantha Eggar, which is a favorite of mine. I know he supposedly was working on a Broadway musical following GH (with Nick Offerman!) but who knows what became of that beyond a few stagings or readings.

• Members

Pam Long wrote those Dolly Parton movies for NBC, featuring Alyvia Alyn Lind (ex-Faith, Y&R) as the young Dolly.

Current Y&R writer Sara Endsley comes from the world of cable Christmas romance movies (like the Melissa Joan Hart romp, “Holiday in Handcuffs”):

• Members

Former DAYS/GL writer Victor Gialanella wrote the notorious 1981 flop adaptation of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein," which opened and closed on B'way on the same night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/30/theater/frankenstein-broadway-flop.html

Pam Long was a perfect fit.  She's always excelled at heart-warming, family drama.

Sam Hall (AW, OLTL, SB) was one of several writers (Anne Howard Bailey and former AW HW Corinne Jacker were two others) who worked on the 1976 miniseries, "The Adams Chronicles."

And former AMC/GL writer (and one of my personal heroes) Wisner Washam self-published a novel several years ago about the cloning of Jesus.  (Yep, you read that right.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Victor Miller (AMC) famously wrote the original Friday the 13th, and his ongoing litigation against series producer/sometimes director Sean S. Cunningham (who refuses to credit Miller with royalties for the creation of Jason Voorhees, the hockey-masked killer) continues to this day, freezing all production of anything related to the franchise.

Incumbent co-HW Chris Van Etten (GH) has a background in YA literature. I've always liked those two guys at GH and I feel they could do better work out from under Frank, but who knows.

Russell T. Davies (Doctor Who, It's a Sin) also got his start submitting scripts to Crossroads.

I've often wondered what became of some of Eastenders' most famous or visible writers, but I haven't looked into it.