"Where the Heart Is," "Best of Everything," "Search for Tomorrow," audio clips, Summer 1970.

• Members

At long last, some audio clips that I hope you may find interesting. Here is the order:

1) "Best of Everything" Opening and closing themes. Singer Connie Eaton's rendition of the title theme, set in a nightclub, broadcast on Labor Day, 1970, (9/7/70). Note applause at end with announcer identifying Miss Eaton. Compare to 45 RPM rendition of this same song on You Tube.

2) "Where the Heart Is" Original opening theme, played over a slow motion depiction of a butterfly in flight. Miscellaneous organ fade out cues form "WtHI" followed by closing theme.

3) "Search for Tomorrow," Dialogue scene between character of Eunice and a character named Laurie. Eunice looked very much like Peggy Wood as "I  Remember Mama." Scene took place on Ida's front porch. Reference to absent character named Eric, whom I do not remember.

My thanks to my 24 year old cousin, Natalie, who made all this possible!

These tid bits may be much about nothing, but I hope they help to fill in some missing links. Feel free to reposition these to other parts of the site, as you see fit. Happy New Year!

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On Search for Tomorrow, Eunice's second husband was Doug Martin.   Doug learned that Vietnam veteran Scott Phillips was his son.   Laurie was a girl that he met who lived with her very traditional grandmother.   Laurie had earlier (prior to meeting Scott) given birth to  a son out of wedlock.   I cannot remember her son;s name.   

I imagine that Eunice and Laurie were talking about Doug and Scott and possibly their relationship with one another.

The late Ann Williams played Eunice Twining Martin.  The late Kenneth Harvey played her husband Doug.   Peter Simon played Scott, and Kelly Wood played Laurie.

Edited by danfling

• Members

Lauri's last name was Leshinsky (I think played by Kelly Wood) and Eric was her son (played by Chris Lowe when I saw him).  Scott and Kathy later adopted him.  Can't remember what happened to Lauri.  This didn't really sound like Ann Williams (who was in her 30s at this time) though.  Ida was played by Vera Allen, who was an older actress at this point.  Thanks for posting @Brent. 

Edited by jam6242

• Members

Thanks for this. 

I think the scene from "Search for Tomorrow" is between Laurie and Ida Weston (Vera Allen). It sounds like someone may come in at the end ("Can I get the bags?") and that may be Eunice. 

I believe Lauri married another man after Scott and died in an automobile accident. Ralph Haywood was Erich's biological father and he appeared in the mid 1970s looking to get custody of Erich. I don't know what happened to Magda Leshinsky, Lauri's mother.  

• Members

Maybe she was killed off at some point to serve the story or otherwise, surely Eric would have stayed with her.

Perhaps she conveniently said that she wasn't up to caring for a young boy and Eric was told he'd be seeing her regularly and then, like many others she was forgotten.

All those little details....

• Members

Mistaken identification. 

Noticed that I erred in my Saturday post re: "Search for Tomorrow." I meant to say that the older woman who looked like Peggy Wood was named "Ida." There was a brief salutation to character named Eunice at show's beginning, but that greeting was so snipped it wouldn't have been worth translating.

A thousand apologies! As to the audio, I was using a battery powered cassette player. If I had been a more prescient 13 year old, I would have taped whole shows! But how to predict so much would so soon be flown? 

If nothing else, it does demonstrate that "Where the Heart Is" had a different theme for at least it's first year. 

All Best, 

Brent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for the kind words. Know these are only snippets, but to my knowledge first theme to "WTHI" has not re-emerged elsewhere.

As I've said "B of E" should have succeeded. It had a high wattage cast, with 3 Oscar winners or nominees in the 3 principal female roles, and was a good looking show to boot.

All Best,

BC

• Members

I lived in a location that had no ABC affiliate.   I was on vacation in the summer of 1970 and got to see The Best of Everything, A World Apart, and All My Children.

The Best of Everything was my favorite of the three.

In October of 1971, WAPT came on the air and was an ABC affliliate.   The Best of Everything was already gone.   Dark Shadows was on its way out, then A World Apart was.     I can attest that A World Apart showed more promise and was better produced than was All My Children at the time.