Guiding light alum joins YR

• Members

I agree that they overuse Heinle. But I actually don't feel like they've tried everything to make her work. In fact, I think the show rarely writes to her strengths as an actress, which in my opinion are significant. In her best scenes, like the ones in her Emmy reels, I find her to be one of the most compelling actors on Y&R because she's able to convey a profound sense of sadness, of a woman who feels exhausted by all the pressures in her life.

I know that's totally different than the way Heather Tom played the role, but it still makes perfect sense to me that a woman who's had to deal with Victor Newman her whole life would feel this way; I can barely stand to be around him for the 36 minutes it takes to watch an episode. You could get great drama out of a melancholy "poor rich girl" character like that; in fact, in the early days, Y&R did get great drama out of Kay Chancellor's similar state of existential malaise. But for whatever reason, the show rarely acknowledges this aspect of Victoria's character; it's all in Heinle's performance and rarely in the actual script, which often places her in a "girlboss" role more suited to Heather Tom or writes generic romance stories for her. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The only Victoria that works (for me) is Ruthless!Victoria.  Amelia can play that, and she does well when they write the character that way.  Unfortunately (as others have posted above) the show refuses to commit to that.

The character Victoria should never be a written as romantic heroine or as a submissive waif.   The character fails when the show tries to do that, and that's not something Amelia is good at.

• Members

Did I say I would have them [!@#$%^&*] in the hospital chapel, lol?  Maybe "clinch" was the wrong word but [!@#$%^&*] was not what I meant.

Please, I'm not JER.  Of course, if JER were writing it, he'd have Ashland and Nikki literally screwing on top of Victoria's corpse.  But that's neither here nor there.

Thank you!

• Members

Well, he didn't start out that way.  As a matter of fact, Josh was introduced (by then-HW Douglas Marland) as a spoiler for Kelly and Morgan, who were GL's big supercouple. 

IIRC, Morgan was pursuing a modeling career.  Kelly, being a young resident at Cedars Hospital, preferred his new wife to stay home and start a family.  Josh, operating under the pretense of helping Morgan launch her career, exploited the conflicts between the newlyweds in order to get Morgan in the sack.  (Which he did.  Again, IIRC.)

It's only when Pam Long came aboard and fleshed out both Josh's backstory and the Lewis clan -- keeping on Josh and his sister, Trish, while adding on Billy, Mindy, patriarch H.B., and eventually Reva -- that Josh evolved into pretty much what he was for the rest of his time on the show.

Yup.

I knew when they tried "Reverend Josh" that the show had hit a brick wall with the guy.

Even before then, though, I actually felt the time had come to kill off Josh.  We knew how Josh would respond to losing Reva to death, because we saw him do it multiple times.  But how would Reva cope with losing "Bud"?

Nobody was feeling Peapack.  Especially the audience.

• Members

I always thought that they should do an eating disorder storywith her. Not as a comment on her body type, but it would be interesting to see a storyline play out with an adult instead of a teenager, and to focus on the inherent control issues of the disorder. She would rock that.

See, I watch those Peapack clips and I think at least they went outside once in a while and the "sets" were nice and big (since they were actual places).

I'm feeling him with Jill, Lauren, or, believe it or not, Nina. I don't see Nina with the character Ashland but I could see Tricia Cast and Robert Newman working well together.

• Members

Okay, but...you must really hate me if you think I would have two grown folks actually [!@#$%^&*] in a hospital chapel while HIS wife and HER daughter lay stone cold dead in the hospital morgue.  I can push the old envelope, but come on, lol!

I mean, what am I?  Dena Higley or something?

I'd love to put him in a triangle with Ashley and Traci.

Edited by Khan