Days of Our Lives: December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah I'm done with the mask stuff. 

Kristen/Susan are part of the canon but it should end there. Really I'm fine if they never swap again, even though Stacy kills the variances.

Perfect example of Ron taking something fun (in it's time) and indulging it to death. Nobody asked for masks.

I don't like that he killed Laura. Ron did to her what Paulina wanted to do to the square except they need to actually tear that down and build a new promenade, Salem Place part deux because HTS is stale. 

Laura should be alive to face off with Kristen.

Edited by KLN

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Agree.  Not every gay character has to be as pure as snow, but Leo reinforces some stereotypes about gays at a time when we are still fighting for greater visibility and credibility in all forms of entertainment.

Look, I don't watch movies like "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Exorcist," because I simply don't want that [!@#$%^&*] "in my spirit."  And when JER began his story, I stopped watching DAYS, because that was a line that I was never gonna cross.  But I give him props, because, from everything that I've read about it, he took the subject matter seriously (or, as seriously as a truly fucked-up man like JER ever could) and crafted a real love story (John & Marlena's) out of it.  But Ron Carlivati has conflated demonic possession with wacky hijinks; and that is not only distasteful, it's dangerous.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Marlena has now been possessed by the devil twice.  She can't just shake this off and head into another go-round with Kristen, or whatever.  If this "story" does not end up with Doc joining the convent, or becoming an evangelist, or just making fundamental changes in her life, then this story was meaningless. 

Moreover, if DAYS does not emerge as a more spiritual show -- I don't necessarily mean religious, like maybe "Touched by an Angel" or early GL, but definitely a show where matters of faith gain greater importance in the overall storytelling -- then all they have done is to exploit a very real, existential danger for a cheap ratings ploy; and whatever karma the show yields from their heinous actions, they deserve.

• Members

100%.

JER was supremely messed up but at least he wrote semi-adult, semi-serious stories. I appreciated the tone and structure but his pathos ran deep. He was a reclusive, regressed, self-hating religious bigot with no understanding what actually motivates humans outside the simple, tribalistic black and white lens he viewed the world through. Some of that lends itself to soap storytelling but he was nuts.

Potato flakes Ryan Murphy took the most messed up parts of JER and poured glitter glue all over it with this story.

• Members

Soapsuds: "I keep waiting for Johnny to make the moves on Tripp. I always thought Johnny was fluid."

Honestly...?  The last thing we need is Ron Carlivati conflating same-sex attraction with demonic possession.  (And no, I'm not putting spoiler tags on what I just said.  I'm too busy putting GLAAD on speed-dial to bother right now.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I can't be the only one that sees it!

Maybe I am.

Agreed.

Cheap, counter-productive and not worth whatever temporary thrill Ron might get out of it.

So of course he'll do it.

Just write fluidity as fluidity.

Edited by KLN

• Members

If Laura were to come back from the dead -- and again, I'm not supporting any more characters coming back from the dead, on this or any other show -- then I would want to see her fall gradually into a relationship with Roman, thereby having her and Kate square off once again.