Days of Our Lives: December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

They made Bryan a legitimate lead years and years ago when Lucas and Sami were finally together in the dreadful second Reilly era. They qualified as a supercouple at that time, IMO and the show let it ride because they knew Sami was the key draw and Lucas played off of her very well. The story became handicapped against Lucas because James Scott was a phenomenon on the show, which I won't deny, but they could never erase the fact that E.J. raped Sami at gunpoint in the passenger seat of a car on the side of the road. While I enjoyed that couple at times that stain never went away.

Bryan Dattilo has aged naturally and is not as conventionally attractive a lead as Scott or DF. His hair also needs serious work. But none of that really matters to the audience. It's the same thing as when ATWT thought they had to purge Scott DeFreitas (Andy Dixon) who'd been in the role since he was like 14; he may not have been a Shawn Christian type but he was very handsome and photogenic, younger and hotter than Dattilo is now. But the show kept thinking they had to find a way to make the show sexier. Fans never got over it and never forgave ATWT, they were asking for Andy back til its dying day. It would be the same if you recast Lucas; it would be a blunder on par with that or the infamous Susan Batten fiasco. No one wants it, no one cares. It's not going to solve a problem when there is no actual problem with Lucas, in the eyes of the longtime audience. Sure, he could look slimmer or get a makeover, but they love him anyway and like him with Sami. The problem with Lucas is not in the audience, it is that upper management and/or creatives do not find him sexy enough and has therefore made him the goat in story for many years since the mid-2000s.

That is a perception problem and it is on TPTB. Ali is not 25 anymore either and doesn't look it. She has a strong fanbase, they'll go where she tells them to. The Lucas/Sami revisit was well received. Corday should get over it. But yes, someone should cut Bryan's hair.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm with Vee. I don't care that Bryan isn't some typical soap hunk. I don't need him recast so Lucas can be "viable" as a romantic lead. BD is Lucas and the chemistry with Sweeney is still there (in my opinion) after all these years. I enjoyed the Lumi affair this past summer. They just play off each other so well. A new hairstyle wouldn't hurt though, lol. 

• Members

Ron did an interview on a podcast a few months ago where he said it was daunting to take on the possession until he realized he had to look at it like the devil was "just another villain" or something to that effect.

That was his first mistake.

Imaginative as hell but campy and not my taste.

Edited by KLN

• Members

Why would they even worried about looks in the first place? They know the fan base that Lumi has. Sure, Ejami’s may be bigger and louder but there are plenty of fans who want Sami and Lucas together, and looks aren’t going to change that 

Ughh... RC will never learn 

• Members

The E.J./Sami fanbase is also never going to be what it was without Scott. Never. So the playing field is at the very least level again like it hasn't been in like 15 years, and Lumi was always popular.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yeah, BD's looks have never bothered me.  No, he's not James Scott hot, but who is?  Lucas/Sami are supposed to be the less perfect, less attractive, more outcast siblings compared to Carrie/Austin.   They found love together.  Making Sami the girl everyone wants was always a weird choice.  That's not Sami at all and Lucas doesn't need to be recast.  He's been playing the role for over 25 years.  There's no point.

Listen, I hate Lucas as a kidnapper, but at least it gives BD something to do.  

• Members

Valid points.

I just don't think the show will use Lucas in any significant way with Bryan in the role. It's a show problem like you said. But I'd rather they use Lucas than not and I'm not as married to original actors being in the roles as I used to be.

With the success of the Peacock specials, streaming #'s, the renewed creative effort being put into the show, the foundation laid as it is and the world returning to comfort because everything else is a mess, I think there's potential for soaps (or at least Days) to have a bit of a creative resurgence, even if only to promote other entrepreneurial platforms like soaps were originally intended. To sell soap.

But they need broad appeal. 

I was ED/Kristen's #1 fan and told the show to sit and spin when they recast with Stacy even though I wasn't watching or following at the time. Now I'm caught up and think she was born for the role.

I also love the rotation of Kate and Marci. I actually think they should make it a feature of the show where they rotate two actors for one role. Not everyone, but maybe two or three characters.

I jumped right back in after not watching or following for several years and it hasn't been a problem for me at all. I actually enjoy watching different actors give different takes.

I'm just not married to the nostalgia like I used to be. But I know what appeals to me coming back with fresh eyes.

Edited by KLN

• Members

That's on Corday and a host of bad writers, not on Lucas. You're not going to get a new audience on streaming by recasting with another soap has-been. Because frankly that's all any of them are viewed in the large scheme of things if we look at this from an outside POV. No newfound audience or teen base on streaming are cutting for Billy Miller, they don't know who he is or care about him. And the kids that actually grew up watching the show will only know they fired Lucas. Teens also aren't really out there cutting for Ali's next man tbh - Ali has a very strong crossover Hallmark fanbase which is broad and family-based, but no woman pushing 50 on the soaps is going to command an all-new streaming-ready fanbase with just the right combination of leading man. There's no magic formula to make her into thirtysomething Hillary Duff. They just love Sami. So since none of these performers are 25 anymore, the best thing they can do for those characters is go with what works and what is popular. Lucas and Sami are beloved tentpoles at this point, together or separate, whether you put them back together or have them reunite and then keep fighting or sleeping around. Billy Miller or any recast would be a nobody. If DAYS wants to be bolder in casting they can do that with the actual young or new characters.

I like Stacy Haiduk, I've talked often about how she did so much with about 90 seconds in an unrecognizable cameo on HBO's Sharp Objects. It was a worthwhile experiment to recast, I think she's done the best anyone could. And I think it's a nice idea to think Kristen could somehow be reinvented as a completely different character for modern times. But they tried and she can't. It hasn't worked, in part because they went too far with it in the other direction but also because they are clearly unable to imbue it with enough depth without Ron immediately pivoting back to more camp. Kristen is an icon, and the fact is the only Kristen with broad appeal is Eileen Davidson. Eileen has a major profile outside this show now thanks to reality television; she is a soap legend but she also has major crossover camp/pop culture value, as well as the ability to actually play much, much more than camp when given the opportunity (which she isn't on this show). This isn't nostalgia, it's facts, at least as far as I see them personally. They are doing this idiotic thing with 2 Kristens on at once because they know it hasn't worked but are too sympathetic to Haiduk to cut her loose. Kristen should not be on this show year-round because she's not needed to be on that much. She is a force of nature, she comes in and out. Eileen can do that. It's time to let it go.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I disagree.

We're not living in the old world of black and white, all good and all evil.

Complexity IS broad for today's audience. But telling me to let it go while not being open to changes yourself shows you're married to the nostalgia.

I was an ED stan for years. I let it go.

I've come back to the show with fresh eyes and I like what I like. I'm not faulting anyone for having their own preferences though.

I like him, genuinely. He's upped his game as an actor and he's unique as Lucas, hard to replace like others said.

But I don't think he'll ever get lead story because closet case Corday doesn't view him as someone to lust after.

• Members

It's obvious RC doesn't care about BD or Lucas. He hasn't shown up on Peacock (which doesn't bother me at all) and in the regular is being thrown under the bus with Sami's kidnapping. When Ali leaves we won't see much of Lucas or BD.