Sonny daze

• Members

Sonny daze

By Carolyn Hinsey

Sonny finally admits he loves Emily this week on "General Hospital"-which her older brother Jason won't love at all. "I've never seen Steve so out of control in scenes with me," says Maurice Benard (Sonny), referring to Steve Burton (Jason). "He wants to kill me! It's fun to be in scenes like that with him because he becomes the father, and I have to be like the son."

"GH" fans know that mobsters Sonny and Jason had an impenertrable friendship and business partnership until Sonny started dating Emily.

"Now, Sonny's like, 'Hey, don't push so hard,' says Benard. "The beauty of this whole thing is that the story hits a chord. It's that universal theme of falling in love with someone we shouldn't. Or wanting something we shouldn't. We've all been there."

Sonny certainly has. He has brought terrible danger to the lives of all his previous loves, so he really did try to stay away from Emily in the beginning. But the recent virus outbreak at the hospital made him realize that he neede to seize the moment. "They went to Spain together, and she saw the worst of him," Benard points out. "The beast came out, and she still stuck by him. He slept a lot while they were there. He lightened up. He was even joking around with her. He was much more Maurice than Sonny!"

But back in the real world, Sonny's confession this week will have consequences.

"The actual saying of those words-'I love you'-is going to be very hard for him, even though he does love her," says the actor. "Emily says it all the time, but Sonny has never said it. This is big for him."

And big for Emily's family, which is united against Sonny.

"Not just Jason-the whole Quatermaine family is against this," he says. "Everything is heightened. We got back to why this has hit a chord. Even the actors in the scene feel it, because we've all been there. We're all parents-we have daughters, we have sisters. but Sonny really feels like he is not doing anything wrong. We had lines the other day where they both said, 'We're not cheating on anyone.' What are Sonny and Emily doing that's so bad?!"

Nothing, except lie to everyone that they are together.

"This is a strange time for Sonny," defends Benard. "When he gets too happy, it scares him."

That's funny-it does the same thing to Emily's family.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived