Ratings From the 90's

• Members

I think it could have worked, had they done a better job of casting Charlie.  But it seems like they never knew how to cast that particular role.  Josh Hamilton came the closest on nailing the part, but his stint was just for Grandma Kate's funeral, IIRC.  I don't believe he had any intention of staying indefinitely.

Besides, even as I was watching that particular story unfold, I never thought that they were supposed to be a long-term pairing.  To me, Charlie seemed more like a distraction for Erica to keep her busy until the next time she and Jack would hook up.  (AMC tried their best, but they never sold me on Jack and Erica, lol).

I thought the incest storyline with Ceara was pretty good - at least on paper.  In that case, Felicia Minei Behr managed to cast two fine actors (Bethel Leslie and Stephen Joyce) to play her folks.  But it also was clear that the story was an attempt to redeem Ceara (and make her and Jeremy a more palatable couple) and write more to Genie Francis's strengths, as I think GF has always had a tough time portraying vixens and villainesses.  And I know Genie herself has always been proud of her work in that storyline, but I, for one, thought her performance, especially in the story's climax, was pitched all wrong and was probably her worst stuff as an actress (or, it was, before she joined Y&R).

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Ceara and Jeremy storyline was horrible...the actors had no chemistry and the incest storyline was forced and not really necessary for the character or the show. GF's performances were ok to erratic. I just think it turned the audience off. Erica and Charlie were laughable as I said. The story was awful and it was a terrible distraction even for Erica.  Very bad stories pushed AMC down and Agnes Nixon saw this and reset and cleaned it up because after Labor Day AMC was Number 2.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

Y&R June 26, 1991 Scott Reeves debut.

Guiding Light July 8, 1991 Alexandra exposes Roger at the country club. This storyline was the last hurrah of the Robert Calhoun era.

Guiding Light July 16, 1991 Vincent Irizarry return. This week was the EP change to JFP.

I enjoyed Guiding Light during the Robert Calhoun era and it disappoints me that there was a ratings drop during his run as EP.

JFP first year at Guiding Light had a ratings increase as shown in the annual ratings but she was coasting off the groundwork laid during the Robert Calhoun era.

Days is making a comeback. Has Deidre Hall returned at this point? I know James Reilly becoming HW is about a year and a half away.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Another World had been limping along for like 12 or 13 years at this point (the drop off that began Summer 1978 and then being effectively over in 1979 when then-time slot head-to-head General Hospital blew up). Santa Barbara never stood a chance head-to-head with General Hospital.

Speculating here but I think Fall 1991 Santa Barbara is going to start losing clearances. There were four big syndicated talk show debuts that fall: Jenny Jones, Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, Montel Williams.

Edited by kalbir