‘Y&R’ Producers Discuss Gina Tognoni and Michelle Stafford Switcheroo

• Members

I think we assume that NMS or some old-school Y&R veteran writer wants that job, especially under these conditions, with the knowledge that Sony/CBS are disdainful of Bill Bell’s Y&R, which is where NMS, Janice, et al trained. Sony/CBS made it their mission to dismantle his legacy over the past 15 years, which dates back to the time when all three ABC soaps AND Days were often beating Y&R in the demos. Yeah, they’ve brought back little cues, but that’s pretty trivial. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's partly why I suggested pairing Minardi with Jeff Beldner, who has a lot of experience, but at ABC and has never been a HW as well. Maybe the two of them can find some balance. They're already there and I'm sure they're cheaper than Griffith. Does this show have anything to lose (or gain) at this point? 

I don't think Sony/CBS will ever hire anyone exclusively from the Bell universe again, and certainly not on their own. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

It's a good thought, but like others have said, they'd have to even want to do the job. So many writers have no interest in the HW'ing job, likely why we keep recycling the same hacks. The industry has also driven off many talented writers.

Like, take GH for example. If Shelly and Chris are ever dumped, Barbara Bloom or Lucky Gold are likely to get the job. I mean ...

Please register in order to view this content

and we'd probably get Gary Tomlin as a producer if Frank were ever fired. They just recycle hacks.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I'm not sure anyone is clamoring for a head writer job anymore.  I spoke with Nancy Curlee about 5 or 6 years ago...and I told her I thought she was one of the best Head Writers and that Guiding Light was so good, and wished she had gone back.  She said they had offered it at some point and she declined - she said things were just too different and she said she the storyline approval thing really started to get tight while she was there and there was no way she could go back when they offered.  Just imagine what it's like now. 

But she was very gracious and honest...she said thank you so much and I miss Guiding Light, and she laughed and said...you're not the only person to have said this to me. 

Edited by Fevuh