The Media/Journalism Thread

• Members

"Allegations from lawyers for Prince Harry and others that Lewis had helped direct a cover-up of Murdoch hacking scandal involving deletion of millions of emails."

I remember reading about the phone-hacking scandal ... years ago.
I read the Guardian for world news (and sometimes BBC for world news) but that was always a headline -- so much that I had to filter it out.
Literally years ago.
I cannot imagine that nobody at the Washington Post was aware?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The irony of said “journalists” reporting on the ethics violations and conflicts of interest by public servants and figures when they are bribing, blagging and hacking for information to use in reporting the story.

I remember the reports done mainly by the BBC on the phone hacking scandal. The most disgusting aspect was hearing about the hacking of the phone of a girl who had been murdered. At that time, the news media had a laser like focus on News of the World and The Sun newspapers and figures like Rebekah Brooks, someone who honestly came across the picture of venality.

• Members

People need to stop believing bullsh!t. Fat chance, I know, but between Noam Chomsky’s “death” and a parody account sending Twitter into a titter over Justin Timberlake having “molly, poppers, and Truvada in his bloodstream” after being arrested for a DWI, it feels like a lot of seemingly discerning people need a course in media literacy. Too bad so many legacy outlets have damaged their brands and been reckless with the public’s trust, as they play an important role in news verification:

• Members

Unsurprising: Longtime Politico hack Sam Stein finally goes mask off and jumps to The Bulwark. Not that they don't have some solid columnists and aren't anti-Trump, but The Bulwark is ultimately a center-right Republican outfit, period.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Puck's premiere starfucker Dylan Byers has written a somewhat sniffy and defensive piece of Lewis (who parlayed his favor with an exclusive interview months ago) which I will not link to, as he is the outlier in Washington rn and Puck is bought and paid for by money and power above all.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It seems as if what smaller papers went through about a decade or more ago, is now becoming a prominent issue with newspaper companies with far larger circulation numbers.

Maybe the major newspapers will be regarded as “Too Big To Fail” but at what cost to journalistic integrity?

Something tells me that had there been greater efforts to save the “small fish” (local newspapers) of the media ecosystem, perhaps we wouldn’t be seeing such things happen nowadays.