• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

My cousin was an editor of a smaller regional newspaper for many years, but the paper failed or downsized; and he's been an Uber driver ever since.   Sad.  He has hobbies and family that enrich his life; but he doesn't have the journalism voice he used to have.

Edited by janea4old

• Members
Posted (edited)

I miss the days when every U.S. city had its own independent newspaper, and they each had their own bureaus in most major cities around the world.   
Not just wire-service reports, but actual reporters from the independent newspapers physically reporting from the other countries.  If something was happening in West Africa, the foreign editor of a Midwestern USA newspaper would be located in Lagos, Nigeria, and send in a report from there.  

We got so much more balanced news that way.
Now we're lucky to read a wire-service report from Johannesburg to cover all the news in Africa.  I exaggerate, but not by much.

The Guardian does have international news, but I don't know where their reporters are physically located.  And how many people read the international section of the Guardian website?

In the old days, mainstream newspapers (that everyone bought) had international bureaus.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The Washington Post has been rotten for years now. I suppose the only difference is they were more comfortable being rotten with their own group rather than someone dumped on them from a great height. 

• Members

That really is sad when that kind of change occurs, lives are upended, dreams and careers derailed. As a society, we also miss out on the the connections to our communities, the events that larger media outlets will ignore but are notable and significant to the communities in which we live.

I miss town/local newspapers as well. There are local-ish news stations on television but it’s not the same in what gets covered. And The Patch newspaper doesn’t do the job either, it’s basically cut and paste coverage.

I know The Guardian newspaper has no choice but to make constant pleas for support but it gets tiresome to wade through reminders in order to read a three paragraph article.

For international coverage, I find that I usually have to either read individual papers from various nations or skim Reuters website and sometimes watch different broadcasts daily (CVM in the Caribbean) a few times a week (BBC World News) or a few times a month (NHK News), if I remember.

Silos of information. That’s the way it works these days, I guess.

• Members

Once again, Puck News (who got an exclusive from him) scrambles to save Will Lewis' job:

The Daily Beast ran a dishy Will Lewis expose a few days ago, but has their own problems editorially which sound hair-raising:

Edited by Vee

• Members

https://apnews.com/article/assange-plea-deal-wikileaks-justice-department-d329ba4614dbfa77b5eb968d07fd9bd0

Naturally there's been a number of claims Biden did this to try to help him against Trump. I have my doubts - the "free speech" advocates who are groupies for Assange will just find some reason to doubt his deal (I'm already seeing some say "oh something isn't right") or claim they need to vote for Trump so Trump will pardon him. 

There was an article saying the PM of Australia had asked Biden to send Assange back to Australia due to his failing health. I could see Biden deciding to be compassionate, and possibly give Trump a poke in the eye.