NBC to launch streaming service in 2020

dragonflies

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These networks are so craven.  They will eventually over-monetize themselves down to nothing.  People are already making choices in how they spend their dollars and not every service can make the cut.  I already detest CBS All Access and refused to consider it from the very beginning because I knew where it would all lead. 

Also, these dumb networks are making their content much more accessible to the pirates, many of whom are far more advanced in the use of technology than the traditional media broadcasters.

• Members

Basically Comcast is going full steam ahead on scripted at its cable networks including Bravo, even if they tank in the ratings, because they want a deep bench of content for subscribers to watch on their new streaming service. Hence all the Girlfriends Guide/Odd Mom Out/Imposters bullish!t that no one watched on linear TV but could find renewed life as bingeable content digitally.

Variety just released a very in-depth piece about how the top media companies are accruing all this debt to secure their places in the digital future currently led by Netflix and Amazon.

• Members

Thanks for posting that Variety article @Faulkner

That quote that you posted speaks to some of what I mentioned upthread about people being very discriminating about what services/streamers they subscribe to because there is only so much money to be spent on something that is not an absolute necessity like food, shelter, clothes, etc.

Also from what we're seeing, the younger the generation the less likely they are to want a bunch of monthly expenses. Most people under 50, in fact, appear to be scaling back where subscriber services are involved, it happened with cable and looks poised to happen (eventually with pay streaming services).

From what I'm currently seeing, the television industry is ripe for a shift toward the space that that music industry now occupies and has occupied since the advent of music streaming-- a situation that the music industry has never been able to shift back from-- the iTunes situation (ironically, some articles are starting to come out that question whether iTunes is on its last legs). 

The comparison between the music industry and the television industry is notable because the music industry was once run by corporate behemoths but has been reduced to operating on a far more modest scale than it was before the debut of Napster.

These huge television companies have strayed far from their roots of antenna television,  household brand advertising paying operating costs and executives with more modest salaries (I'm looking at you, Leslie Moonves!

Please register in order to view this content

) and morphed into huge corporate behemoths that constantly have to be "fed" by huge corporate profits amid shrinking viewing audiences and more competition. The attitude seems to be similar to the banks' "Too Big To Fail" mantra, except unlike banks, TV studios cannot finance roofs over people's heads or spaces for businesses to operate.  In an era of mega mergers of entertainment companies, many may have gotten Too Big but they certainly will never be "Too Big To Fail" because their services are not an absolute necessity, the way a roof over one's head is. So, over-leveraging could prove fatal for some of these companies because I don't see any being able to finesse a 'bailout' the way the banks did.

Two very interesting concepts discussed in that article.

1.) A number of companies are looking at selling assets, which may be a wise move, unless you make the mistake of selling off a division or company that is very profitable, like what Sears was stupid enough to do...twice.

2.) By their comments, some of these companies seem to be anticipating and preparing for a recession.  Can't say I'm surprised, as I've been reading about the possibility of one for months and it's been on my mind.  It is interesting though, that these corporations are anticipating one and formulating financial strategy based on this.

Archived