Y&R January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No joke. Can we count how many scenes Scott had with his Aunt Jill? Considering the bro clan, wouldn't Jill want her nephew on her team? Especially if she could swipe him from Victor! And Billy/Scott are cousins - was that ever explored or discussed? What am I missing here?

• Members

I think 1. they don't care about Lauren and Jill, let's face it, 2. they realize that making them sisters didn't make a whole lot of sense, and 3. just because you discover a sister late in life doesn't make you all of a sudden best friends with your children hanging out.

• Members

So, they are really, really invested in this Cane/Lily sitch...

SN: Can I get Carter to move from LA to Genoa City to keep Hilary warm this Winter? Or even have Hilary crossover briefly and meet Carter, have a fling and then he follows her back. I think Lawrence St. Victor might be the actor who can keep up with her. It would give her something to do besides be a busy body. Hopefully get her away from boring ass, lame duck Devon.

• Members

Piss poor development and this idea that some Black actors have that everything needs to be played with intensity and a furrowed brow. I believe it comes from a need to be taken seriously. Of the three actors, LSV gives me the most though. He really solid material. 

If I can be very frank, I just really don't get anything from Devon. He always seems uninterested. It somehow makes him unappealing.

At least Lawrence St Victor has seen appeal, if nothing else.

• Members

I think piss poor development more than anything. I've seen Bryton light up enough to know he's capable of it. I even saw some chemistry with Amelia Heinle, which was surprising given how internal both actors can be. But it's difficult when you're given a threadbare character.

• Members

The reality is that actors of color (particularly Black actors) are always gonna be marginalized in Daytime television.

It doesn't matter whether they're played by Sterling K. Brown & Sophie Okonedo or Paul Taylor & Amelia Marshall.

There's a reason why so many actors of color achieve considerable success AFTER they exit their respective soaps.

• Members

Michael B. Jordan, Cornelius Smith, Jr., Renee Elise Goldsberry, and Tika Sumpter have been more successful in primetime and film than any of Frons's pets on ABC in the '00s. All of them, with the possible exception of REG, were marginalized on their shows even when their superior talent and star power were evident.

• Members

Add Timothy D. Stickney to that exemplary list. Perhaps many here don't remember him, but found him a compelling, intense, sardonic watch. And ofc REG's talent literally popped off the screen on OLTL, but ABC made zero effort to keep her despite that and a huge fanbase. Honestly, I felt OLTL lost something special when she left.

Archived