Classic TV

KMan101

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love up on Hazel any time I can. Shirley B. was just so fun-loving and carefree, just a really easy-to-adore actress playing a character who was just as easy to love. I also love the touch of elegance the show had, which I guess was there because the Baxters were written to be as upper middle class. Visits from George's bitchy sister are always my fave eps.

I don't think I've ever watched The Ropers or TAC regularly with any fidelity. Here and there episodes of The Ropers, much less of TAC. I wish they'd just release them on DVD already. TC's been done for yeeeeears, and I believe they sold well. Just finish the franchise.

Meanwhile, I've been making my way through THAT GIRL, currently in season two, and I am just so, so thankful that it's available on Hulu. This is my first time really being able to watch the whole series. The most I'd seen before was when TV Land did a random one-day marathon of it about 10 years ago and when it was on MeTV for a hot minute. Marlo Thomas and Ted Bessell, man. They really exuded that classy, sexy, silly late 60s romance. It's just a very sweet and beautiful show.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

GETTV is adding All in the Family, Good Times and Sanford & Son in January. They'll be off Antenna TV come January so it seemed likely they would move somewhere else. I figured METV but METV just released their January lineup and not much is changing. Diff'rent Strokes has been added. I Love Lucy is off.

METV:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=367032

GETTV:

https://www.get.tv/schedule/pdf/et/month/2018-01

• Members

As always, Me's new schedule isn't exciting in the least. The only thing I'm truly looking forward to is Gomer Pyle in primetime. I love Diff'rent Strokes, and I might tune in here and there, but it's not something that I've really felt deprived of for a long time.

Why, oh why, does Hogan's Heroes continue to hog that gorgeous hour-long block in primetime, I'll never know. There are so many higher-profile shows from the same era that could go there instead. The Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, even Petticoat Junction. Hell, whenever they were doing the black and white Gunsmoke episodes, they could have put one at night, paired with an Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

I love westerns, but I'm annoyed at 6 hours of westerns during the week and 11 hours of them on Saturday when you got Cannon, Mannix, and 77 Sunset Strip languishing in late night. I say keep it to three hours during the week and then you can go all out on Saturdays. I don't think Gunsmoke or Bonanza will ever leave weekdays, so keep those heavy-hitters and rotate Rifleman, Rawhide, Wagon Train, Big Valley, Wanted Dead or Alive etc, in the third hour. They can even swap between having the "third" hour come after Bonanza and having it come before Gunsmoke.

Sticking only with what they already have, this is something I'd do for daytime:

8am: Perry Mason

9am: Matlock

10am: Diagnosis Murder

11am: The Rifleman

11:30: Wanted Dead or Alive

12pm: Gunsmoke

1pm: Bonanza

2pm: Mannix

3pm: Cannon

4pm: Hawaii Five-O

5pm: The Love Boat

I like the mornings for the less action-oriented mystery series that can sometimes be swapped out for a medical drama and then the afternoons for car crashes. The Love Boat could always give way to an Eight is Enough, Family, or even a primetime soap.

• Members

I wish I could share the love for "Hazel," but it annoys me to see how much pull she has not only over the Baxters but the community as a whole.  All the time I'm watching, I'm also yelling at the screen, "Why don't this heffa do her damn JOB instead of running everybody's life!?"

Too bad I can't get GetTV in my neck of the woods.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

According to some Hazel fans, they claim the TV Hazel was toned down compared to the comic strip version who was even more of a buttinsky. Shirley Booth was a gem in the TV series.

It seems like most of the Screen Gems sitcoms have been reran in recent years except the long forgotten "The Farmer's Daughter" starring the late Inger Stevens and William Windom. The last time it was in reruns was back in the 80's on the defunct CBN channel. When Antenna TV launched several years ago, they announced they were going to be airing it. Shortly before ATV debut, they posted that the show was in bad shaped and couldn't be aired. One poster on their page said what it really boiled down to was Sony went looking for the old worn out tape transfers and couldn't find them.  Sony is so cheap they didn't want to make new transfers from the 35mm masters in the vault. We will probably never see this show in syndication again or a DVD release.

Here is a clip from the highly anticipated 1965 wedding of Katy and Glen. The show had switched to color before the wedding. 

• Members

I agree. There is some controversy surrounding her death. Some people believe she was murdered. Burt Reynolds was with her hours before she died. She was supposed to star in a TV series for Aaron Spelling at the time of her death.

Here is a complete color episode of FD with Davey Jones.