ALL: Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Members

That's a good point.

I've heard of Juliet Jones, vaguely, but never read it. This is pretty early after the strip started - I guess it must have been a big hit from early on.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am pretty sure there was a thread in the cancelled soaps thread about ¨Juliet Jones" many years ago. This version looks a little clearer, but I may be imagining things. I think it was being proposed as a syndicated show. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

HOJJ was posted in the previous Proposed Soap thread which was archived.

Charles Gussman and Charles Irving worked together on SFT a few years later. Catherine McLeod had been a B movie actress in the 40's.

Broadcasting 31st Jan 1955

Official Films Inc., N. Y., has completed two conditional sales for The Heart of Juliet Jones, five- day -a -week quarter -hour soap opera film series. Contract contains clause giving Official 60 days to negotiate sufficient number of sales to make production feasible. Sales were to KSD -TV St. Louis and Texas iv station.

Obviously they couldn't get enough stations interested.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the extra info.

I have vague memories, mainly of the scene with Juliet and beau, but so much runs together for me...

As mentioned above, looks like it was posted here a little over a decade ago. Glad it popped up again, at least. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'm intruiged, probably not for the reasons they want, though.

Would a suit jacket instead of a dinner jacket be that huge of a faux pas at this point?

Also bold to question class and money for what would have been largely a richer audience. TV's still weren't everywhere in 1954! And cost a nice chunk of money.

Apparently Juliet's actress, Catherine McLeod, was a regular on Days in 1969 as Claire Larkin. Pop, Cliff Hall, had recently done a stint on Search for Tomorrow.

So what station for The Heart of Juliet Jones? Unfortunately, the one clue on TV stations agreeing to air it doesn't narrow it down any.

KSD-TV was a primary NBC station in 1954, with a secondary affiliation for DuMont. Wiki says they no longer had secondary CBS or ABC affiliations, but as evidenced by December 1954 TV schedule, they still did.

In late 1954, KSD-TV's daytime schedule:
9:00 Ding Dong School
9:30 Time to Live
9:45 Three Steps to Heaven
10:00 Home
11:00 What's Your Bid
11:30 Betty White
Noon Portia Faces Life
12:15 Road of Life
12:30 Welcome Travelers
1:00 To the Ladies
1:30 Homemaking with KSD-TV
2:00 [seems like some kind of TV play]
2:30 One Man's Family
3:00 Hawkins Falls
3:15 First Love
3:30 Golden Windows
3:45 Modern Romances
4:00 Buckeye Four and George Abel
4:30 Howdy Doody

KSD came on the air at 6:45 a.m., which was pretty darn remarkable for a TV station at this time.

• Members

All in the Name of Love was a soap written for SOD with a new installment each issue.Not sure how long it lasted. I never bothered to follow it. All I remember is some very ordinary looking people posed as characters. Looked like the took some Kodak shots of the office staff.

• Members

It lasted about 6 months to a year. I recall one of the characters was named Francesca. I believe she was the femme fatale. Plus there was a Black couple -- Jamie and Julia Scott, I believe. I think he was a cop and she was a nurse. I was always amused by that couple's names as The Edge of Night had infants at that time named Jamey Swift and Julia Scott.